Scott reaches are so short. Size up?

DaveyPetey

Sep 29, 2019
SLC, Ut
So I'm 5'8 or about 172 cm and I currently ride a pivot firebird 29er as well as a trail for trail 429 Enduro for my analog bikes, and a Norco range VLT ebike. All are a size medium. I'd say I ride my e-bike 4 days a month tops and put 20 days on the other bikes. I've gotten very used to long reaches and short chainstays on the pivots. I've actually really started to. Not like how short my Norco is as well as would like to go to 29 inch tires. I was disappointed that the new shuttle LT was only 160 mm in the back, and the reviews for the Scott Ransom Eride 920 are excellent. It being half the price at the shuttle doesn't hurt either. The problem I'm running into but is how short the reach is on the Scott. It's even shorter in medium than the Norco I have now. I could jump up to a large, but the chainstays are getting pretty long at that size. Any thoughts or advice?

militantmandy

Jan 18, 2022
Tweed Valley, Scotland
My every day bike is a P2 Privateer 161. It has 470 reach and 440 cs. My medium Decoy is 430 reach with the same chainstay. The internet would likely tell you this means it won't handle well. In fact it's an absolutely brilliant bike and I'm nearly as fast on it as I am on the daily. So, reach isn't everything. If you possibly can I'd try and at least pedal one round a car park to try and get a sense of how it feels.

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
Sorry. Meant to say seat tube. And it didn't look like there is much room to have it shortened.
Yes - look at how well your legs fit. I'm taller than you and on a large Scott I have the saddle almost at the bottom. I suppose you could fit a shorter dropper if it was a problem.

Traveler99

Apr 30, 2020
Sammamish, WA
I’m 6’0” tall on a Large Scott Ransom eRide. It fits me well and the reach is perfect. Compared to my Levo (also size large) it feels more like I’m ON the bike vs in the bike. The seat post is almost too long when fully inserted into the frame at full extension. I’d have to agree with all the reviews, the bike is excellent.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Screenshot_20220929-065043_Chrome.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles