Santa Cruz Ebike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
but there are a lot of crappy rear suspension designs out there
I sort of think the opposite with higher end mtbs these days. (in comparison to designs of a decade or so further back).
Out of interest. Which ones do you consider crappy?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
I sort of think the opposite with higher end mtbs these days. (in comparison to designs of a decade or so further back).
Out of interest. Which ones do you consider crappy?

Well I got no interest in stirring the pot but personally not fan of the rocker bar style 4 bars like on the big T and a few others. Personally like the feel of more rearward and upward tracking rear vs a more vertical wheel travel. Also a more linear feel ("plush" (y)) since so many on this "progressive" kick

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
personally not fan of the rocker bar style 4 bars like on the big T and a few others. Personally like the feel of more rearward and upward tracking rear vs a more vertical wheel travel. Also a more linear feel ("plush" (y)) since so many on this "progressive" kick
OMG! sorry dude but you seriously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... With the utmost respect I suggest you go back to sticking your fingers back in your eyes and blinkers on your ears. ;)

Well I got no interest in stirring the pot
May I suggest a spoon?

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
Don’t like the Shimano E8000?

What would you rather have?
Brose ? Smooth but so many returned motors.
Bosch CX ? I really didn’t take to it.

My favorite motor is the Rocky Mountain Power Play, but the price point wasn’t where I wanted and the only dealer in Phoenix (5th largest city in the US) was a 2.5 hour round trip.

The E8000 is a sensible, functional, tho boring choice. I can imagine the Santa Cruz design team debating it, two years ago.

The battery, while unsuitable for “Epic” long rides suits my my numb-butt-at-14-miles (extending to 22-miles) routine.

27.5 vs 29er ? I’ve owned only 29ers over the last ten years, but every time I hop on a 27.5er, plus or otherwise, I have a lot of fun.

E9000 ? I overheard a conversation with a Shimano Rep who said the EP8/9000 wouldn’t be available until October 2020, for the 2021 model year. Hopefully it will be 48V and swappable (with better bearings).

In the end it is a well-sorted Santa Cruz product with lifetime warranty.

Spendy? Yes. I’d be looking for a discount.

I also heard that a lower cost version is planned for next year.

Last edited:

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
OMG! sorry dude but you seriously have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... With the utmost respect I suggest you go back to sticking your fingers back in your eyes and blinkers on your ears. ;)

Coming from a Brit I shouldn't be too insulted, just your average rebuttal, eh? Once upon a time I had a couple room mates from the UK...that was well, mostly the same :p

May I suggest a spoon?
no you may not lol

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont get why everyone gets so bogged down in motors, price and spec - at the end of the day its a combination of all these factors and all that really matters is how the bike rides - now I am slightly unusual in that I will choose a bike for how it rides over how it looks every time, I bet this thing rips, sure it isn't bringing anything new to the party, but just looking at the weight placement, suspension design, and geo tells me that it would be a lot of fun to ride. Unfortunately there are other bikes out there at lower prices that do the same.

I still haven't ridden a bike that would get me to trade in my £3.8k Vitus E-Sommett, the only one I have that cam close was the Whyte 150 RS, because they have nailed getting the weight low down and centred around the BB, meaning its easy to pop up and move around compared to the majority of EMTB's, but not in any meaningful way over the Vitus. Plus battery that's a pita to remove ruled it out.

Anyway expecting Peaslake to be awash with them by the end of the month!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I dont get why everyone gets so bogged down in motors, price and spec - at the end of the day its a combination of all these factors and all that really matters is how the bike rides

You answered your own question with your question ..

We're all sad internet connected morons searching for perfection. On average EMTBers spend 10* the time on-line searching for the next statistically better option to make things better than actually riding to make things better ...

For me . I enjoy that. I fall off my chair far less than I fall off the bike. o_O

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not at that CC trim level.
S'pose that depends how you value your trim really, eh?
all those parts might retail at way higher prices but none genuinely offer any actual improvement in performance. to what's on my ol' Vitus. Which BTW is actually lighter than the Heckler too.

I'm sticking with 4 ;)

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Looks like a fun bike! Short chainstays, 27.5, balanced geo and reasonably light too! Now if they could just sort out the price tag...

I was laughing at the comments on PinkBike's and Santa Cruz's Instagram this morning. Seems SC has reignited the Ebike hate/debate. :LOL::LOL:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Either somebody is practising MS Paint or that's where the battery bolts on & a sign of where Santa Cruz is at with their eee tech. Actually if you look at the carton behind, it looks more like a heavy load of BULLS. View attachment 25568
Haha obviously I have no idea. This was real - I think :unsure:

Heckler.jpg

Last edited:

snowbro

Jun 1, 2018
USA

May I suggest a spoon?
I guess every forum needs a super douchebag like gary

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Every forum that's worthy of being called a forum needs super douchebags like Gary i.e. ones who seem to know what they're talking about.

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
Nope will stick with my orbea fs wild i have ordered that is cheaper than the base Santacruz and has fox factory suspension xt gears and brakes ?

klevtik

Jan 15, 2020
Ukraine
Nope will stick with my orbea fs wild i have ordered that is cheaper than the base Santacruz and has fox factory suspension xt gears and brakes ?
And it's one of the best looking ebike right now, also waiting for wild fs m team myo custom. Only one problem - it will arrive on March/April :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
So, anyone buying the Santa Cruz?

Just before the SL came out, it looked like Santa had their finger on the pulse and were going to make the SL look old hat a day after spesh released it ..

As @magnil said .. they actually seemed to do the opposite. Yes .. they made the new Spesh bike which everyone complained about the price - look quite reasonable ! :)

Visually, it's not hugely inspiring. Where everyones's tried to slim down around the motor, they've managed to make it look like a distended constipated python with what looks like it should be a giant storage compartment for your huge wads of spare cash. Primarily, It looks like they've done this to replicate the Bronson frame shape, but possibly also to make the downtube appear slimmer/smaller in comparison.

It just doesn't really bring anything new to the party which isn't already there and for less money.

I'm sure it's a great bike and will ride nicely, but it's not visually or passionately exciting in anyway.

Pabs

Jul 27, 2019
London
I agree with the general consensus that its not groundbreaking enough really. I've a Nomad and a YT Decoy. While I'm happy they have joined the party,
I don't think I will be making any changes to my choices for this generation.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
With the price of the Heckler and Levo SL, What are these manufacturers smoking? It seems like they don't want to sell many of these. Absolutely STUPID prices.

The SL is shown as completely sold out on the Specialized website for some models. The market is out there for the volume they produce. As mad as that sounds.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles