Safety Equipment: Help! What to wear for my riding style?

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I need your help:

What safety gear should I consider a part from the obvious helmet?

I am a father, over 40, 185cm and 95kgs. I have ridden bikes all my life but I am new to mtb and emtb.
I used to ride very conservatively but have found that the the emtb gives me confidence to do more things like small jumps (less than 1m), speed gravel descents (40-50 km/h) and medium speed rocky, dry single trail, bunny hops etc. I live in Valencia, Spain where it is dry dirt and rocky. No mud. Speed is not my main concern, rather having fun and learning technique.

So far I have never had a real crash , but I want to push a little more.

¿What do you recommend?
I guess knee pads and/or elbow pads make sense but should I go even further or less? What is logical and what is overkill?

Thanks in advance for your help

Be safe!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A trail helmet (one that goes further down the side and back of the head rather than an XC lid) would be a good start. I have broken every helmet I have ever owned except the two current ones, so do not try to do without.

I have been using knee & shin guards and elbow guards for years. Initially I was put off wearing them as I stupidly thought that only good riders would be going fast enough to need them. But after accumulating one too many scars and one too many warnings from the physiotherapist about shoulder damage, I became converted. I didn't go for the full on hard shell DH guards, instead I went for some all day breathable kit from the Troy Lee Shock Doctor range. Flexible, not sweaty, washable, and they really make a difference. They will save you from some serious gravel rash on those Spanish trails you ride. Coming off on those at 40-50 kph will be like landing on a cheese grater! :eek:

What else? My Camelbak MULE backpack protects my back, my Shimano AM41s protect my feet and my gloves protect my hands. I have survived going OTB on Jacob's Ladder and much worse, all without a scratch.

Oh, how could I forget my safety specs! I use Oakley Straitjackets as they just do not come off even when I am ejected at speed, and I can get them in prescription format. I wear specs all day anyway, so the Oakleys are prescription as well. Do not underestimate the safety value of riding specs. I received several pencil sized prods around the bony orbit before deciding to invest in proper specs. I ride in the woods a lot and brambles and low branches are a hazard. I have been swiped across the face by both of those hazards on many occasions. It only takes one bramble thorn and you will be blinded in at least one eye. The front surface of my Oakleys are testament to how many sharp objects they have fended off. You don't have to get Oakleys of course, my grandson has some superb specs that cost £15. I would have paid more but didn't need to do so. And he doesn't need prescription specs.

When I go to a place like Bikepark Wales or any other uplift serviced place where I am likely to be in more than usual harm's way, I wear a full face helmet. But that is the only extra bit of safety equipment I wear.

Last edited:

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I think the basic kit would be a quality helmet, gloves, glasses and light knee and elbow pads, something that allows free movement and are not to warm. Something like the Alpinestars paragon or fox launch work great, you can also consider knee pads with extended coverage for the shins.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I personally wear Fox body armour. It covers all the contact points on the upper body. You forget your riding with it when your on the bike. I came off one day and really hurt my ribs. Being 39 I dont heal as well these days and can’t afford time off work so to me it’s protecting my income!

+1 for Oakley Glasses. They are a game changer.

I’ve got knee pads also (a must). Get some gloves as well even if they just cover your skin..As with all safety equipment you’ll only need it, when you need it!!

If you want a lighter hydration pac I’ve read the Evoc or Camelbac ‘fanny packs’ are really light and comfy for the summer which will be great in Spain and they have a 2L bladder in them these days. I’m gonna get one for the summer.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I can highly recommend the Ergon Enduro back packs, they have built in back protectors, and the water bladder is in the bottom section so all the weight is down low - I hate wearing backpacks, but mine has totally change my view on them, and I no longer notice I am wearing it. I have the BE1.

Also there are now a decent selection of lightweight "enduro " full face helmets such as the Fox Proframe and Troy Lee Designs Stage - these are full face helmets that weigh a lot less than downhill specific models, and are very well ventilated so don't get too hot when peddling uphill.

At a bare minimum you want knee pads, decent gloves, and a good helmet.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
For normal rides I wear a Giro Switchblade full face helmet, Fox gloves and lightweight Nukeproof knee pads. In the summer I also wear elbow pads as speeds are higher and the landing zone is generally harder...
I don't always wear my Camelbak but probably should for the back protection.
For BPW I swap out the knee pads for RaceFace Flank knee and shin guards and wear Fox Titan Sport body armour.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Thank you all for the great answers it really helps me. I am going to hunt for lightweight and fresh knee and elbow pads to start with and then see about a camelbak or similar... I have decent gloves, glasses (Oakley) and helmet (POC)

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
The fox proframe is my staple helmet now comfy and very light you don’t even know you’ve got it on.
Personally I’d definitely wear a knee and shin guard always as a few years back I had a pedal strike a 150mm long gash and 26 stitches later a lesson learned. I’ll also add it wasn’t the pins on the pedal that did the damage it was from the impact from the pedal that caused my shin to split open like a kebab.
Gloves for me are a must even in summer.
To be honest im always kitted up now even on the simplest ride. The stupidest of bails seem to always turn out to be the worst.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Whenever I have an involuntary dismount, they always come out of the blue! They always catch me by surprise and therefore I am never ready for them. They usually happen on trails I have ridden many times before and where I have never had an incident before. There are always witnesses, so it is much better if I can lithely roll to my feet, go find the bike, and then ride off smartly as though it is an everyday thing. The only way I can carry this off is if I have pre-planned by having the appropriate level of protection. Otherwise I'd be laid groaning on the floor, clutching at myself as people rush to my aid. "Oh look it's an old guy, he's had a fall!" :mad:

PS: I do not "have a fall", I crash, have an involuntary dismount, go OTB, do a superman.....
I DO NOT HAVE A FALL!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles