Motorcycle stand style for eMTB

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
My motorcycles used stands which would pick up by the rear swingarm like this:
1656441644091.jpeg
trackside_rear_paddock_stand_300x300.jpg

It makes it really easy to store the bike and do basic maintenance on it. It's also really easy to put the motorcycle on the stand since it levers it up. I'd love to have something similar for my eMTBs, however this is the closest thing I could find:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00G7ZO3GE

91bp2DLgJjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The problem is you need to lift the back of the bike up, position the stand, then set it down in the stand. Does anyone know if someone makes a bicycle stand which levers the bike up like the motorcycle stand?

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
Why not use a feedback sports stand? When not riding just hang the bike by the nose of the seat over the stand.

View attachment 91163

I have a dodgy back, and generally avoid lifting. When I need to put one of the eMTBs in my work stand I have a small ceiling mounted electric hoist I use.

The bike stand would be mostly used for storage. I've tried "roll-in" bike stands, but they don't hold the bike very securely at all.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have a dodgy back, and generally avoid lifting. When I need to put one of the eMTBs in my work stand I have a small ceiling mounted electric hoist I use.

The bike stand would be mostly used for storage. I've tried "roll-in" bike stands, but they don't hold the bike very securely at all.

You can lift the front, clamp it on the balance point, then rotate it. If your back is too "dodgy" to lift your ebike onto a stand to do this then you really shouldn't be riding it. Just sayin'

Last edited:

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
[/QUOTE]

I've just bought a couple of Willworx Superstands. They are the roll in kind but they are very stable, not really suitable for maintenance but great for storage. Easy to roll in and out and very secure.

I did have some roll in stands from Halfords and they are pretty useless. I've been putting up with them for over 18 months but my Whyte fell over last week and the pedal took a nasty bite out of my wife's brand new Levo so that was the last straw!

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
I've just bought a couple of Willworx Superstands. They are the roll in kind but they are very stable, not really suitable for maintenance but great for storage. Easy to roll in and out and very secure.

That stand looks MUCH better, and I'll probably end up picking up a couple.

These are the roll-in stands I'm currently using and they're pretty useless. They might work okay for a road bike, but they suck for an eMTB.

61IEJuEJSSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
That stand looks MUCH better, and I'll probably end up picking up a couple.

These are the roll-in stands I'm currently using and they're pretty useless. They might work okay for a road bike, but they suck for an eMTB.

61IEJuEJSSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
That looks practically the same as I was using. A decent fart would knock the bike over!

skinipenem

Apr 9, 2022
skinipenem
Is this the willworx stand? Does it require a push with the foot when one pulls the bike out? Seems like the stand would cone with you and the bike.
Screenshot_20220628-174831_Chrome.jpg

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
Is this the willworx stand? Does it require a push with the foot when one pulls the bike out? Seems like the stand would cone with you and the bike. View attachment 91171
That's the one, it comes in different sizes for different width tyres. I got the superstand 12 to 29" which is supposed to be suitable for up to 2.5" tyres My 2.4" front tyre goes in and out without the stand moving at all.

My wife's Levo has a 2.6" front tyre so that is a bit tighter. The easiest way to get that out with minimum effort is to stand in front of the bike, place a foot on the base of the stand and push the handlebars back.

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD
You can lift the front, clamp it on the balance point, then rotate it. If your back is too "dodgy" to lift your ebike onto a stand to do this then you really shouldn't be riding it. Just sayin'

So apparently only completely healthy people are allowed to ride eMTBs? What are activities do you think only 100% healthy people should do?

Bad Mechanic

Dec 17, 2021
Kensington, MD

I bought one to try out and it should be here Friday. Thanks again!

If it work well, I may add caster wheels to make it easy to move around.

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
If you want a motorcycle style stand I’m sure a local engineering place could make you one, or modify a motorcycle one to fit your bike. Doubt it would be cheap, but would last you forever!

I don’t need a “lifting” stand, just a storage stand so I made my own out of timber wall studding. Really stable and the bike rolls in and out easily. Adjustable width too if I decide to fit wider tyres (the silver bolts underneath slide in a 1” slot).

9FB645B8-7022-443E-8B9E-0B901A57C00B.jpeg
013ABAC6-256D-413C-AF14-554513EA1151.jpeg
502F6E83-2B6A-4AAF-BCD6-3EE579F5B646.jpeg

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
FJM Mk 2 Home | FJM Custom bike stands

UK-based but they ship to the US, might be expensive though.

It's not clear from the photos on the website, but you can attach the stand to the bottom bracket in its folded position, with the bike entirely on the ground, then push the bike forwards and the stand pivots into shape lifting the rear wheel.

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've tried "roll-in" bike stands, but they don't hold the bike very securely at all.

I couldn't stand the idea of spending my hard-earned cash on a noodley POS made in China, so I made my own. I had plenty of 2" pipe, 1" tubing, and paint, so the total cost was $10 for a bag of end caps. I made two of these. They'll accommodate a 29" x 2.8" tire, either front or rear will fit in the stand.

IMG_2002.jpeg

IMG_2014.jpeg

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
If you want a motorcycle style stand I’m sure a local engineering place could make you one, or modify a motorcycle one to fit your bike. Doubt it would be cheap, but would last you forever!

I don’t need a “lifting” stand, just a storage stand so I made my own out of timber wall studding. Really stable and the bike rolls in and out easily. Adjustable width too if I decide to fit wider tyres (the silver bolts underneath slide in a 1” slot).

View attachment 91211 View attachment 91212 View attachment 91213
I made a couple similar - a bit rougher than yours out of some old pallets but put 3 cheap small castor wheels under them & they're brilliant as you can move the whole bike around the garage & not have to find somewhere to lean the bike around.

TheRealPoMo

Apr 18, 2020
Queensland
I use one of those black and orange stands and they are good for spinning the back wheel. It wouldn't take much more weight though and certainly no sitting on the bike. As you say, the rear wheel still has to be lifted, and for me the chain always fouls on the chainstay support, further causing more effort. If your back is that bad then I'd probably avoid them. (I get it).

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
During Covid lockdown when everything was in short supply I made this from bits of timber from my offcut stash. Very stable solid stand.

Screenshot_20220704-094450_Gallery~2.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles