Safest way to mount Ebike onto repair stand?.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use the Saris bike rack thingy because it balances the bike evenly and distributes the weight between the stem and dropper. My bike lives here so I can do the regular maintenance fairly easy.
27567006-C655-4271-969E-67367A1BCD4A.jpeg
However…two mornings ago, I found my bike, and the stand, laying on the floor. The lower clamp of the stand had loosened and caused the entire collapse.

A3BD1F6D-EDDE-4E0F-B861-D46DC1FBEE22.jpeg
I don’t use the jaws to clamp my carbon tube.
BCC118BA-CD98-43E9-8776-8846DBA2E0A5.jpeg
Aluminum frames are less of a problem but if you use the dropper and seat to hold your bike make sure it’s in the up-position.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I can’t remember where I got the idea but here’s another method by @TheBikePilot .
84C3A623-8E65-4A32-96AC-BEBAA8EC2F03.png
I like using this method for carbon frames and I keep the “Bike Beam” on the stand. Fairly easy to attach once you get the “hang” of it. 🙄

Alex Ebiker

Mar 24, 2022
Wiltshire
I use the Saris bike rack thingy because it balances the bike evenly and distributes the weight between the stem and dropper. My bike lives here so I can do the regular maintenance fairly easy.
View attachment 93628
However…two mornings ago, I found my bike, and the stand, laying on the floor. The lower clamp of the stand had loosened and caused the entire collapse.

View attachment 93629
View attachment 93630
Aluminum frames are less of a problem but if you use the dropper and seat to hold your bike make sure it’s in the up-position.
Yes that looks like a good way to do it. Is this the same thing:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yes that looks like a good way to do it. Is this the same thing:
Yah, that’s it. I’ve used this for 3 years for my bike and for repairs on other bikes also. It’s fairly quick to attach. Mine cost about $55 CDN. I haven’t used it for the car/bike rack yet (which is what it’s for) but it seems to be strong enough.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I clamp on the dropper stanchion (not the dropper body). I have seen one of the bike mags on YouTube suspend the carbon framed bike clean off the ground by that method and I know that my LBS does that as well. But I don't like that for a heavy emtb, so I leave the front wheel on the ground. If I need to work on the front of the bike, I leave the rear wheel on the ground or turn the bike upside down on to a floor mat.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Same here….carbon frame, I also did the same and left it on one night, had collapsed over night and found it on the floor :(

257150D0-588E-4F93-86CF-B955216AB344.jpeg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
This was a great question, thx. I also have that Park Tool stand and I have one of those adjustable cross tube things that I used to use on my wife's Trek road bike since it was a step through and I needed it to attach to my older Thule style rear rack.
I have two new tires coming tomorrow and I was going to use the stand for the first time to swap out the tires. I would prefer to use that cross tube now that I've seen it being used above.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use the Park Tool platform stand for most work on the bike. It can be mounted using the fork thru axle or the rear wheel thru axle if I need to work on the headset for example. It avoids hanging the bike from the top tube or seat post, neither of which I think are good for the bike. I also like the fact that the platform can be rotated 360 degrees so I can work on both sides of the bike without moving away from my workbench and tools.
I also have an ordinary Halfords stand and have mounted in the jaws, a length of timber with 2 ladder rack hooks screwed in 28cm apart so that it just hooks under the top tube. It is quicker to get the bike off the bike without the need to remove the front or rear wheel. The bike is however free to move side to side with that arrangement so I typically only use it when removing the battery or doing a quick chain lube.

20220716_133804.jpg

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I clamp the seatpost on the ground and then lift and lock the stand. My 185mm dropper has the perfect amount exposed.
Custom stand to support the extra weight.

PXL_20220702_005505971.jpg

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
Just swapping tires out. That adjustable cross bar that others have mentioned is the only way to fly! I forgot to tighten the bottom Park Tool stand's bottom clamp suddenly the bike fell into me. The stands vertical member clicks into place, but the stand collapsed towards me without that bottom clamp tight 😱. Good thing I was standing next to it. I tightened it down and then attached a rope for added security. I used a couple of thin rags on the hooks even though they are rubber or plastic coated to protect the finish:

tempImageihr1bQ.png

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I clamp the seatpost on the ground and then lift and lock the stand. My 185mm dropper has the perfect amount exposed.
Custom stand to support the extra weight.

I like this idea....what are you using for the clamp on the seat post?

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
I could have used any clamp and decided on the feedback pro elite.
I think it's better than the park heads. The efficient velo tools was my first choice, but I couldn't justify the price.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
View attachment 93628

View attachment 93629
View attachment 93630
I do the same, minus the battery

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I do the same, minus the battery
I found that draining the battery charge to 5% doesn’t help or make it lighter😉.
I do leave my battery in though. It definitely adds weight but if I check that lower clamp on my work stand once in-a-while …
I forgot to tighten the bottom Park Tool stand's bottom clamp suddenly the bike fell into me. The stands vertical member clicks into place, but the stand collapsed towards me without that bottom clamp tight 😱. Good thing I was standing next to it.

Yes…I would sacrifice my body too.

weihlac

Subscriber
Oct 12, 2020
USA
Yah, that’s it. I’ve used this for 3 years for my bike and for repairs on other bikes also. It’s fairly quick to attach. Mine cost about $55 CDN. I haven’t used it for the car/bike rack yet (which is what it’s for) but it seems to be strong enough.
I use the Saris bar on the car rack with a Levo; no problems.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have fake crossbar but it wobbles about so depends what you are working on. I used seat post for a while but broke the seat post clamp probably because I tilted it round a bit .

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
View attachment 93628

View attachment 93629
View attachment 93630
Where have you found that lower clamps?
Dor you have a picture of the srew used?

I have the same problem. When I'm working on my bike in the stand it allways folds down.
I do it as tight as I can, but it still drops. It's a major problem as I've had my old bike fell over in the stand like that and bend my crank arm.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Where have you found that lower clamps?
Dor you have a picture of the srew used?

I have the same problem. When I'm working on my bike in the stand it allways folds down.
I do it as tight as I can, but it still drops. It's a major problem as I've had my old bike fell over in the stand like that and bend my crank arm.
That happened to me once using the park tool stand. Discovered my bike and the stand laying on the floor. The clamps on the stand had slid. I tightened the screw(s) then added a little bit of tape so there was no sliding action going on. I don’t fold my stand.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
£10 440mm handlebars from CRC. Whyte e160RSX and Whyte E180RS both fit.
ps I dont trust the height adjust clamp on this cheap Halfords stand............I drilled through and put a nut and bolt through it. It does not need to be a djustable.
I use this set up for cleaning and lubeing..................my Park Tool platform stand for maintenance work.

20230512_160850.jpg 20230512_160903.jpg 20230512_171620.jpg

RipGroove

Jun 3, 2022
Glos/UK
Another +1 for the Halfords (or any other suitable brand) false crossbar, definitely my preferred method for almost all jobs that need doing on the bike including washing.
20230801_150818.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have changed to the false crossbar for most jobs now. It is probably the most stable option. I still use the drop handle bars option if working on the headset.
My 3rd option is the Park Tool platform stand which I use for .ore extensive maintenance work. I modified the BB section of that stand to better support the motor bash guard area as opposed to the original design suited to analogue bike BBs. The big advantage with the platform stand is the fact it swivels so both sides of the bike can be worked on from the same position by my workbench.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles