S Works

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
nice bike, the pivot uses the fox 36 regular not the e bike version with smaller stanchions, it also uses the dpx2 shock so the bike feels way better over roots and rocks . The spec is well engineered and the brose drivetrain with 700 battery is amazing. I don't know if its worth the money, it is a very good bike though

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
nice bike, the pivot uses the fox 36 regular not the e bike version with smaller stanchions, it also uses the dpx2 shock so the bike feels way better over roots and rocks . The spec is well engineered and the brose drivetrain with 700 battery is amazing. I don't know if its worth the money, it is a very good bike though

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yes thanks for the reply .Demo on Merida 900e month ago great bike but S works looks the business and can get reasonably local so seriously considering it . Only - i read is battery difficult to remove but how difficult ?. Really want Eboxx with Gates drive but Bosch motor is dated now i hear also no Nicolai dealers in UK except Mojo who wont import Ebike and no real reviews . Sold a couple of toys so money burning a hole in my pocket.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Check out the motor issue with dirt and water ingress, there are better designed bikes out there and if you are in a particularly wet part of scotland I would say avoid it. also all the < 100Nm motors will look dated in a few months when the flyons arrive, the next thing that will happen is Brose and Bosch offering 120nm

The Vitus Esommet might suit you better

Also for a reality check you buy something to live in for that money 201902084734630

Last edited:

Mattwilko92

Aug 22, 2018
Staffordshire, UK
Check out the motor issue with dirt and water ingress, there are better designed bikes out there and if you are in a particularly wet part of scotland I would say avoid it. also all the < 100Nm motors will look dated in a few months when the flyons arrive, the next thing that will happen is Brose and Bosch offering 120nm

Also for a reality check you buy something to live in for that money 201902084734630

I hear you, but £1m supercars aren’t faultless and also have warranties. The warranty on the levo is very good, Specialized know and recognise the problem and therefore have a fix, and replaces any motors without question.

Yes you can buy a caravan. But its irrelevant. You can buy a cheap hatchback for a price of an iPhone.

Like anything, theres always a cheaper alternative.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
check out the motor issue with dirt and water ingress, there are better designed bikes out there and if you are in a particularly wet part of scotland I would say avoid it
or... you know... simply plug the area where water can enter with £2 of motofoam and a mudguard.

Not sure where @Binhill1 is but the regions of Scotland I live and ride in are actually far far drier than Wiltshire. We even have these things called hills here allowing the water to magically run off our trails.

A typical Scottish trail a few days ago

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Not sure where @Binhill1 is but the regions of Scotland I live and ride in are actually far far drier than Wiltshire. We even have these things called hills here allowing the water to magically run off our trails.

You've not heard of the Mountains of Wiltshire?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
or... you know... simply plug the area where water can enter with £2 of motofoam and a mudguard.

A typical Scottish trail a few days ago
Moray area Gary to be honest every bike i settle on you find something somewhere puts me off. Water and batteries will never mix dont care what anyone says. Maybe have to keep ebike for the drier days and still use other bikes.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Will check it out .Ok waiting for new motor but could still have teething problems and then next year something with more power come out and be greatest thing invented again just goes on and on . Thats why i am undecided. Lot of money .

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Moray area Gary to be honest every bike i settle on you find something somewhere puts me off. Water and batteries will never mix dont care what anyone says. Maybe have to keep ebike for the drier days and still use other bikes
not at all mate.
They cope just fine with the wet.
there are one or two designs where water/dirt can get into the motor/connector cases.
all can be easily plugged.
My shimano has an open section to the top rear of the motor that used to fill with dirt/water if washed too liberally with a hose.
it's plugged with motofoam and a splash guard added and no issue at all anymore.
The batteries are actually really really well sealed and not an issue in the slightest.

you have some well nice riding up your way... enjoy it and don't treat the bike with kid gloves (or as a fair weather toy). It may have a motor but it's still an mtb and is designed to be used as such.
most folk will recommend the bike they have but choose the bike that best suits your riding. Exactly the same as you would with a non-E mtb.
Ignore any nonsense about current motors looking dated just because another motor is released with 100NM+ anything above 70 is basically pointless for actual mountainbiking.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would take an expert over the S-Works, and speed the change on putting the bits I wanted on.

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
I have the sworks and it is a gift from the biking gods. Had spesh bikes all my life. This climbs like and epic. Rids trail like my stumpy and decends like the enduro i had. Its light enough to pedal on the flats and slight incline with power off. Ahhh

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
I have the 2019 S-works, wife has the Carbon Comp. Both are great, hers is significantly heavier with a 34 fork. So glad I got the S- works. I live in N. CA and we had a very wet winter. Pacific storms just kept coming. I rode and washed mud off of my bike frequently without issues. The battery takes 2min to replace. It’s quiet, powerful, corners as well as my Enduro29. I replaced the seatpost with a Lev. I can’t stand the Spesh posts. I’m going to put a 160 fork on and sell the 150 because I ride particularly steep descents. Blevo works well with mine as I have the earlier firmware. Will try the dongle approach with my wife’s Comp cause the firmware came updated. Other than those few small things the bike is perfect for my needs. It’s a lot of cash but I use the ebike daily for rec and some commuting. I’d make the same investment again. I’ve ridden half a dozen other ebikes and ride regularly with owners of several brands. I can confidently say my bike is easily my favorite by a long margin. I have not ridden a Decoy however and it would definitely be on my short list of bikes to try/buy.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have the 2019 S-works, wife has the Carbon Comp. Both are great, hers is significantly heavier with a 34 fork. So glad I got the S- works. I live in N. CA and we had a very wet winter. Pacific storms just kept coming. I rode and washed mud off of my bike frequently without issues. The battery takes 2min to replace. It’s quiet, powerful, corners as well as my Enduro29. I replaced the seatpost with a Lev. I can’t stand the Spesh posts. I’m going to put a 160 fork on and sell the 150 because I ride particularly steep descents. Blevo works well with mine as I have the earlier firmware. Will try the dongle approach with my wife’s Comp cause the firmware came updated. Other than those few small things the bike is perfect for my needs. It’s a lot of cash but I use the ebike daily for rec and some commuting. I’d make the same investment again. I’ve ridden half a dozen other ebikes and ride regularly with owners of several brands. I can confidently say my bike is easily my favorite by a long margin. I have not ridden a Decoy however and it would definitely be on my short list of bikes to try/buy.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Cheers gaba new to ebiking only tried couple Lapiere and Merida 160 but Sworks ticks a lot of boxes

Last edited:

Larsey

Feb 4, 2018
MN

My guess would be the most weight savings from Comp to S-Works would be the carbon rear swingarm and Roval carbon wheels.

I would check with your shop to see about extending your current 36 to 160mm. Should be doable for under $100 with air shaft swap

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks Gary agree re its still an mtb. Not a lot of dealers or ebikes where i am so obviously wary .Spesh dealer aviemore 55 miles away not too far really but motors and batteries i have not a clue lot of geeky stuff for me. ok with all else and have mate who was Nicolai dealer a mile away if i cant sort something . Should be up and running next couple months at longest if there is not too long a wait to get one. I am getting on now things have come a long way from my Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo , Cheers

gaba

Dec 31, 2018
California
Is the difference between the forks merely the air spring? I can get this years 160 for basically the same price I can sell my 150. Also I want to buy a new one so that I can cut the steer tube a bit longer. I’m tall and I like my bars a bit higher so I’ll run 2 more spacers. Spesh cut it for me unfortunately. I already have 40mm upsweep in my bars.

Timoshenko

May 11, 2019
New Zealand
I have the sworks and it is a gift from the biking gods. Had spesh bikes all my life. This climbs like and epic. Rids trail like my stumpy and decends like the enduro i had. Its light enough to pedal on the flats and slight incline with power off. Ahhh

A7C5CF23-F046-4361-8AB9-B2811A5C9FDB.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles