First bike arrives tomorrow. 2021 S Works Turbo Levo

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Not sure if I went overboard buying this thing but I’m desperate to get back in shape and wanted to have a bike I couldn’t just let sit there and waste away. Don’t have the attention span for the gym etc. With the ebike arrival and pedal assist my dream of getting up to trails I couldn’t as a newb is here.
Been watching Robs videos And enjoying them.

what are the essentials I need besides the bike, helmet etc.

What is the best lights?
What is the best car bike rack (g wagon)
What is the best computer for trails / Nav?
Best app?
What are the other things I should buy?

my goal is to join a group and ride with them.
Im an Irish guy from Dublin, I’m based in Napa Valley in the summer and the rest of the year in Phoenix Arizona.
Excited and hopeful.
I use to cycle pro between 13 - 17. I’m 43. Haven’t been on a bike much since.
I fly a small plane so I can get to trails and parks easy. I’d love to be able to do jumps in a bike park. That for me would be a big win.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Best light is Lupine

Best rack Kuat NV or One Up

Best computer is my IPhone 11pro with a quad lock mount

Best app is BLEvo

Best addition is Sicomtb mudguard.

Buy an SL to go with it.
s3.jpg
5010 2.jpg

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Not sure if I went overboard buying this thing but I’m desperate to get back in shape
remember there is no free lunch, if you want cardio and muscle to get stronger you have to put in work. These e bike are easy to develop bad habits because it is so easy to get used to higher assist level , but otoh bike skills go up regardless. What works sometimes for me is low assist for 45 minutes or an hour then whatever, Mission control measures your output in calories

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
remember there is no free lunch, if you want cardio and muscle to get stronger you have to put in work. These e bike are easy to develop bad habits because it is so easy to get used to higher assist level , but otoh bike skills go up regardless. What works sometimes for me is low assist for 45 minutes or an hour then whatever, Mission control measures your output in calories

I concur, most of my ebike rides I will focus on riding all but a tiny percentage in Eco.... However last night after six nights of long hard rides, I went out and did ten miles with lots of trail and turbo. Less focus on leg burn and more focus on a short, fun ride that focused on higher speed skill work.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Here is the link for the Lupine light you will want. I have nothing but great things to say about this product. It's hard wired to the motor so it's always there. I ended up going much longer than I expected the other evening and it was dark as I was coming in. I never would have put a light on my bike before leaving but it was there and I needed it! Great customer service. Highest possible recommendation. I'm on the waiting list for the SL version due out this fall. Here it is installed on my 2020 Comp, it's now on my 2020 Sworks. You want the SL/SF for Brose... it has a high and low beam, which comes in VERY handy.
Lupine headlight for e-bikes with Brose drives
lupine2.jpg

Last edited:

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
The Sicomtb mudguard is a must have. One of the design flaws of the Levo allows for mud and crap to get into the motor compartment through the gap at the pivot between the frame and subframe. The SICOMTB prevents that. I've had one on all my Levos and my SL (which I don't think needs it as much). It's relatively expensive but when you see how much strife it saves you, you will understand it's value. Here is the link, be sure to specify that you need the Sworks version, it's different. Attached is a photo of it installed on my Comp... The photo of my Sworks above shows one installed on my new bike. Home - SICOMTBPRODUCTS
IMG_2026.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ha you definitely went overboard with the S-Works if you are just starting out, but seeing as you've gone all in and how much those bikes cost I would definitely get it invisframed, which is basically the same as paint protection film for cars, since you are going to end up lobbing it down a trail or two as you progress, and this will save the paintwork and prevent chips.

Given you are starting out get some decent flat peddles and MTB specific flat shoes like Five Tens, knee pads, gloves, and a helmet. A set of decent lycra bib shorts worn under your mtb gear will also work wonders in terms of comfort.

You are also going to need to get the bike set up properly for you, especially the suspension, which the shop should do, as a well set up basic Levo will perform better than a badly set up S-Works. As such a shock pump is an essential bit of kit, and you should also get a decent tool set too, including a decent work stand, and a decent track pump.

Also get yourself a decent cleaning kit (do not jet wash the bike if you ever want it to switch on again), companies like Muck Off do kits with basic brushes, cleaning products and essentials like chain lube.

If you are just starting then I think the best how to YouTube vids out there right now are Kyle Warners, well worth a look

Good luck!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Ha you definitely went overboard with the S-Works if you are just starting out, but seeing as you've gone all in and how much those bikes cost I would definitely get it invisframed, which is basically the same as paint protection film for cars, since you are going to end up lobbing it down a trail or two as you progress, and this will save the paintwork and prevent chips.

Given you are starting out get some decent flat peddles and MTB specific flat shoes like Five Tens, knee pads, gloves, and a helmet. A set of decent lycra bib shorts worn under your mtb gear will also work wonders in terms of comfort.

You are also going to need to get the bike set up properly for you, especially the suspension, which the shop should do, as a well set up basic Levo will perform better than a badly set up S-Works. As such a shock pump is an essential bit of kit, and you should also get a decent tool set too, including a decent work stand, and a decent track pump.

Also get yourself a decent cleaning kit (do not jet wash the bike if you ever want it to switch on again), companies like Muck Off do kits with basic brushes, cleaning products and essentials like chain lube.

If you are just starting then I think the best how to YouTube vids out there right now are Kyle Warners, well worth a look

Good luck!

It took me three ebikes to get to my Sworks! First was a leftover 18 base Levo in May 19, second was a 20 Comp in early September 19, and finally I moved up to the Sworks inlate March this year. I might have been better off starting with the Sworks, except I got mine in that momentary window when they put blow out pricing in early Covid panic.

Last edited:

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona

Good luck!

Thanks!
got the good helmet / pads / glasses etc.
been watching Kyle’s videos the past few weeks.
The new bike (2021) has a tool kit built into the top of the bike. Not sure if previous years had it.

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
Best light is Lupine

Best rack Kuat NV or One Up

Best computer is my IPhone 11pro with a quad lock mount

Best app is BLEvo

Best addition is Sicomtb mudguard.

Buy an SL to go with it. View attachment 36020 View attachment 36021
Thanks.

Does the Lupine light need to be hard wired?

Which quad phone mount? This?
The BLEvo app looks quite poor as far as design / UI / aesthetics go. In my experience poorly designed apps are never as good as the better designed ones. I’m also biased as I’m in the biz of UI design. Is the core reason you like it how it integrates with the bike itself?

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona

Good luck!
I had the bike setup at the shop today. Went for a ride and the front forks are making a tremendous rattle when going over any bumps. Is this normal?

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Thanks.

Does the Lupine light need to be hard wired?

Which quad phone mount? This?
The BLEvo app looks quite poor as far as design / UI / aesthetics go. In my experience poorly designed apps are never as good as the better designed ones. I’m also biased as I’m in the biz of UI design. Is the core reason you like it how it integrates with the bike itself?

The lupine light plugs into an existing jack on the motor.

The quad lock out front I think it’s called

BLEvo lacks elegance in appearance but can choke you with data an functionality

Foxxer

Jul 14, 2020
Arizona
The lupine light plugs into an existing jack on the motor.

The quad lock out front I think it’s called

BLEvo lacks elegance in appearance but can choke you with data an functionality

looking at that quad lock on Amazon. Doesn’t appear it fits an iPhone 11 Pro. But you have that right?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Please do not use any sort of pressure/jet washer on the Levo - they are known for temperamental electrics that are prone to moisture ingress, not just the motor but the TCU controller in the top tube, easiest way to kill it would be to use a jet washer! Just hose the bike down and use bike cleraner rags/brushes etc. Everyone has opinions on how to wash ebikes, but rob as done a good video on his levo

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks!
got the good helmet / pads / glasses etc.
been watching Kyle’s videos the past few weeks.
The new bike (2021) has a tool kit built into the top of the bike. Not sure if previous years had it.
The swat tool kit is fine for trail side emergencies, but get yourself a proper kit for at home.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Have a look at the work hydroshot..just bought one to wash my bike,its a super low powered cordless pressure washer,perfect for your levo

Worx Hydroshot is fantastic. I use it for car and bike. high and low power settings as well as a range of different spray patterns. The hose has a filter on the end so technically you could find a stream or any source of water to wash your bike away from home.

Alex @ PLANET3.bike

Jun 18, 2019
Zagreb
Its front wheel Spacers I'd say ... Fuck em off, they do nothing.. , I removed mine 6 months ago... Dead quiet now.. Someone will disagree... ?

They do one thing and that is to provide alignment of the hub axle hole and the lower legs axle holes when you're putting in the wheel. However, they don't hold anything and they do rattle and make noise. I've removed them on one of my bikes, too. They should've really come up with an insert that would be put inside the lower leg's machined surface where the TorqueCap would usually sit. Something like a dropout on the rear.. just hold it with a single tiny screw and then once the axle is tight, everything is compressed together. However, that would be a more expensive solution since it'd have to be machined accurately and provide perpendicularity/parallelness between the parts.. and we know the bike industry doesn't like to do that.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
What about protection gear? This is what I’m considering.

View attachment 36189

It pretends what you are gonna ride , if you are gonna ride downhill maybe these protections are Good but for trail riding kneepads and elbowprotection is all you need.

For me personally, it gets way too klumsy and also too hot to wear such protection, me personaly i use a simple back plate and then elbow pads and knee pads and a helmet of course thats it.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
It pretends what you are gonna ride , if you are gonna ride downhill maybe these protections are Good but for trail riding kneepads and elbowprotection is all you need.

For me personally, it gets way too klumsy and also too hot to wear such protection, me personaly i use a simple back plate and then elbow pads and knee pads and a helmet of course thats it.

I rarely wear elbow and knee pads. Helmet and gloves. Take it easy starting out. Things happen faster.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles