Hi! I’m new to the works of ebikes

blair99

Aug 28, 2021
Canada
Good day I’m new to the world of ebikes. I’m interested in buying my first bike I’ve been watching too YouTube videos and stumbled across your guys channel. And the bikes you guys review are the style I’d like. Mountain bikes! The only thing I don’t like about the reviews they don’t say what the top speed is. So decided to join the forum and learn more. I live in Canada and would like to buy a mountain e-bike with a higher top speed

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Emtbs are unlimited in their top speed. It is the control system that sets the speed at which the motor assistance cuts out. Sorry to be pedantic. The speed at which the assistance cuts out varies by region. It is a regional decision based on other laws in that region. In the EU it is 25kph (about 15.5mph) and the UK adopted that when wee were in the EU and have kept it because it ties in with the other laws we have. The USA is 20mph I think, not sure. Canada may be the same as USA, again unsure. Australia and NZ have 20mph I think. I would love 20mph, just about right for me.

There are devices that spoof the software into thinking the bike is going slower than it really is. And there is software that you can use to alter the basic settings of the motor, such as region (which will automatically change your cut-off speed), wheel diameter and so forth. These are used so that the motor continues to provide power beyond your regional cut-off speed. The downside is that your range will suffer as a consequence. As far as I can tell, these are widely used, but are all "illegal". I put the word in inverted commas because I doubt that there is a law that makes doing so illegal. But the motor manufacturers will default your warranty if they find out. Also, if you are involved in an accident and the Police discover that your bike has been altered in this way, at the very least you will be charged with riding without the relevant tax and insurance. At worst you may be prosecuted for dangerous riding, manslaughter..... whatever they can pin on you.

You can buy an electric motorbike of course and go as fast as you like, but it will be a motorbike and you will have to tax and insure it. It will not be a mountain bike however and is sure to be banned from certain trails. I have no idea what the law in Canada is that covers this aspect.

PS: I am not an expert in this stuff, I have told you what I believe to be true. Check it for yourself, now you have something to be working with.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
If you want a bike that go faster legaly you should look at surron bikes, it is between a e-bike and enduro motor bike .

blair99

Aug 28, 2021
Canada
My laws for Manitoba Canada is 35 km and the motor can be bigger then 500 w. I’m not really worried if the bike looks like a mountain bike they won’t care and most cops won’t even check the specs. Now if there on of those electric bikes that don’t really look like a typical bike you might get cops taking more of an interest .

I want a bike to go 45-50km might not go that speed but it would be nice to have that option. ( I don’t want to be under powered and have the motor have to work harder )

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles