Levo Gen 2 S-Mag motor ERRORS after belt repair

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On some systems ( Shimano e8000?) you get a fault if you start the bike with your foot on the pedal..........suggesting the reading the controller ( TCU in this case) from the torque sensor on start up needs to be zero. That does not seem to be the case with Brose so I wonder if Spesh have set the software to accept a range from Zero to a minimal positive torque giving it a range of acceptable stationary settings..........and that range is what the fault code is referring to. So as @Bearing Man has indicated I wonder if somehow during your rebuild the torque sensor is either not sending any signal or due to misplacement is sending too large a torque setting signal.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
SOLVED !!

CM210409-202555001.jpg
Thank you very much @Bearing Man and @Specialized Rider Care for your help.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
The original motor of my bike (I have 2), also broke the belt, but this time I think that the trigger for the disaster was a fall or a blow of the connecting rod in a sea of stones ...
The crankshaft has shifted and pulled the large pulley bearing out of its housing slightly and the pulley has been misaligned and rubbing against the casing, until the belt has derailed.

1618251706888.png
Correa rota 1.png
Correa rota 3.png
Correa rota 4.png

Is it worth while having the motor open to change the spragbearing of the crankshaft for a more robust one with a metal cage?

rodomotion

Sep 3, 2019
Chile
The original motor of my bike (I have 2), also broke the belt, but this time I think that the trigger for the disaster was a fall or a blow of the connecting rod in a sea of stones ...
The crankshaft has shifted and pulled the large pulley bearing out of its housing slightly and the pulley has been misaligned and rubbing against the casing, until the belt has derailed.

View attachment 58428
View attachment 58429
View attachment 58430
View attachment 58431

Is it worth while having the motor open to change the spragbearing of the crankshaft for a more robust one with a metal cage?
si está abierto, aprovecha de cambiar todo lo que pueda fallar.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
@Bearing Man , What waterproof grease do you recommend using on the ends of the crankshaft?
For motor planetariums I guess the BOSCH one is ok (Molikote PG-75)?
For Spragbearings, if they have a metal cage, and needle bearing, wouldn't it be better to use a high-performance grease instead of Molikote PG-75 (less effective but more suitable for plastic-plastic plastic-metal)?

Do you think that the tremendous price difference that exists between the strap of the Brose kits (Gates Carbon) and a standard industrial strap (Gates Powergrip HTD) that the aluminum Brose had, is going to suppose a proportional increase in durability (10x ) ?. I doubt it...
It's a shame that Gates doesn't sell the Poly Chain GT Carbon in 405 ...

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
@Bearing Man , What waterproof grease do you recommend using on the ends of the crankshaft?
For motor planetariums I guess the BOSCH one is ok (Molikote PG-75)?
For Spragbearings, if they have a metal cage, and needle bearing, wouldn't it be better to use a high-performance grease instead of Molikote PG-75 (less effective but more suitable for plastic-plastic plastic-metal)?

Do you think that the tremendous price difference that exists between the strap of the Brose kits (Gates Carbon) and a standard industrial strap (Gates Powergrip HTD) that the aluminum Brose had, is going to suppose a proportional increase in durability (10x ) ?. I doubt it...
It's a shame that Gates doesn't sell the Poly Chain GT Carbon in 405 ...

For the plastic planetary gears you are right, either Bosch motor grease or Molykote PG-75 will do the job. For the ends of the crankshaft that are subject to water I would use a very water resistant "tacky" grease that will not wash off easily. There are many on the market, we use Renolite CA-LZ but this is a bit tricky to get hold of.

NEVER use the wrong grease on sprag bearings! Never use too much grease on sprag bearings either. If a high pressure grease or one based with Teflon or PTFE is used, the bearing can slip and grip, this will shatter the bearing. Too much grease will stick the sprags together and cause the one or two sprags that are free to fail. We supply a small amount of grease free of charge with our bearings and overhaul kits.

The needle roller bearings are pre-greased from the factory and should not be cleaned and re-greased, once dirt has been in there, the bearing is damaged!

Gates Powergrip HTD belts have glass fibre strands and will last about 5 minutes (trust me I tried many times!).

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
For the plastic planetary gears you are right, either Bosch motor grease or Molykote PG-75 will do the job. For the ends of the crankshaft that are subject to water I would use a very water resistant "tacky" grease that will not wash off easily. There are many on the market, we use Renolite CA-LZ but this is a bit tricky to get hold of.

NEVER use the wrong grease on sprag bearings! Never use too much grease on sprag bearings either. If a high pressure grease or one based with Teflon or PTFE is used, the bearing can slip and grip, this will shatter the bearing. Too much grease will stick the sprags together and cause the one or two sprags that are free to fail. We supply a small amount of grease free of charge with our bearings and overhaul kits.
? Thanks for your answer
(In your videos you also use bosch motor grease in spragbearings, right?)

Gates Powergrip HTD belts have glass fibre strands and will last about 5 minutes (trust me I tried many times!).
?????

This one looks very good, but I don't think they market it to the right extent ...
Correa Gates carbón.png

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
? Thanks for your answer
(In your videos you also use bosch motor grease in spragbearings, right?)

This was a scrap motor and just wanted to show a grease being used. Didn't expect people to pay that much attention to be honest!

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
This was a scrap motor and just wanted to show a grease being used. Didn't expect people to pay that much attention to be honest!

Is that I pay a lot of attention ;) ? ? ?

I had read that the presence of Teflon in spragbearings grease should be avoided, thanks for confirming.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
Summarizing:
The belt---: there is no other reasonable option than to buy the original from the Brose kit.
Planetary grease---: Drive Unit Bosch or Molykote PG-75
Crankshaft end grease---: Renolite CA-LZ or similar waterproof grease.
Grease for Spragbearings---: ???? (also Drive Unit Grease Bosch?)
Vaseline petroleum jelly for belt

If the needle bearing is in good condition (if neither water nor dirt has reached it), grease it or not grease it? that's the question .... and with what?

Last edited:

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Summarizing:
The belt---: there is no other reasonable option than to buy the original from the Brose kit.
Planetary grease---: Drive Unit Bosch or Molykote PG-75
Crankshaft end grease---: Renolite CA-LZ or similar waterproof grease.
Vaseline petroleum jelly for belt

If the needle bearing is in good condition (if neither water nor dirt has reached it), grease it or not grease it? that's the question .... and with what?
Yup, you summarized that exactly. Except I said "NEVER use the wrong grease on sprag bearings!" Bosch drive unit grease is the wrong grease.

syncro

Mar 30, 2021
Spain
Yup, you summarized that exactly. Except I said "NEVER use the wrong grease on sprag bearings!" Bosch drive unit grease is the wrong grease.

Summarizing:

?‍♂️...sorry .... then ....What is good for this?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Good question... For my ebike motor repair business I spent years researching parts, bearings, greases, grease amounts, O-rings, seals etc. and a mans gotta have some secrets. If you buy your sprag clutch bearings or Brose overhaul kit from us, you will get the grease for free (y)

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
Hi, My bike, a 2019 Levo broke the belt, I have replaced it with a last generation one.

View attachment 57268

The problem is that when starting the bike, an engine error appears in TCU.
View attachment 57269

With Mission Control v2.2.0 I have obtained the codes of these errors: 32768 and 4097
View attachment 57271 View attachment 57272

Battery-motor cable is a new one.

It has been tried to put a new engine and everything works perfectly, then it's an internal engine error.

I don't know if 'Turbo Studio' is capable of erasing non-volatile fault codes. (like on a car)

The fact is that at my dealer they are totally lost and they don't give me any other solution than to change the entire engine.

Any suggestion (other one than change motor ;))...... TK

i had a very nice, and very expensive Lupine AF light installed on my Levo, about 380 euros, and now,it doesn't work with with the new motor that i had to pay for, apparently specialized doesn't want people to draw power from their motor anymore, or they just released some buggy software, ok it's summer, so i'm fine, but in 3 months time i will have to spend another 300+ euros on a new lamp that will never be as good, because i will have to attach a huge battery to my frame, that is just UNNACEPTABLE !!!

sadly the dealers can't downgrade the software, and specialized refused to do it, so basicaly i can't ride my bike at night anymore, so i can't use it at all in the winter,

they should do the OPPOSITE, i was very dissapointed that the levo gen3 didn't have at least a simple power network, usb close to the handlebars (IN the frame), but allowing to connect a phone to the battery, maybe a 12 volt output there as well. (or whatever lights require)

some power near the dropper and derraileur post maybe ? and work with SRAM to have a connector for the AXS system ?

no, they prefer to close their eyes and pretend it's not an e-bike.

those changes would actually be barely visible anyway.

it's just SILLY to have such a huge battery in a bike, and then being forced to add three more !!

WatermanJim

May 23, 2021
Ocean City, NJ
Hi, My bike, a 2019 Levo broke the belt, I have replaced it with a last generation one.

View attachment 57268

The problem is that when starting the bike, an engine error appears in TCU.
View attachment 57269

With Mission Control v2.2.0 I have obtained the codes of these errors: 32768 and 4097
View attachment 57271 View attachment 57272

Battery-motor cable is a new one.

It has been tried to put a new engine and everything works perfectly, then it's an internal engine error.

I don't know if 'Turbo Studio' is capable of erasing non-volatile fault codes. (like on a car)

The fact is that at my dealer they are totally lost and they don't give me any other solution than to change the entire engine.

Any suggestion (other one than change motor ;))...... TK

Wow what a pain. I don't trust the normal bike shop guys. Would be nice if specialized allowed us to do our own updates because most bike shop guys are not well trained and don't have much experience with computer interfaces.

WatermanJim

May 23, 2021
Ocean City, NJ
i had a very nice, and very expensive Lupine AF light installed on my Levo, about 380 euros, and now,it doesn't work with with the new motor that i had to pay for, apparently specialized doesn't want people to draw power from their motor anymore, or they just released some buggy software, ok it's summer, so i'm fine, but in 3 months time i will have to spend another 300+ euros on a new lamp that will never be as good, because i will have to attach a huge battery to my frame, that is just UNNACEPTABLE !!!

sadly the dealers can't downgrade the software, and specialized refused to do it, so basicaly i can't ride my bike at night anymore, so i can't use it at all in the winter,

they should do the OPPOSITE, i was very dissapointed that the levo gen3 didn't have at least a simple power network, usb close to the handlebars (IN the frame), but allowing to connect a phone to the battery, maybe a 12 volt output there as well. (or whatever lights require)

some power near the dropper and derraileur post maybe ? and work with SRAM to have a connector for the AXS system ?

no, they prefer to close their eyes and pretend it's not an e-bike.

those changes would actually be barely visible anyway.

it's just SILLY to have such a huge battery in a bike, and then being forced to add three more !!
I was surprised to read that there are light output options. This is from the shop manual.

Key facts:
• Output:12V/24W, 2A max.
• Green port: front light
• Red port: rear light
Various front light work with the output the motor ports provide, examples: Supernova M99 Mini Pro-25, Lupine SL X E-Bike, Light&MotionSeca1800 E-Bike (order connecting cable separately)

Lights will be powered when bike is on, unless a switch is integrated into light wiring or head lamp itself

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
I was surprised to read that there are light output options. This is from the shop manual.

Key facts:
Various front light work with the output the motor ports provide, examples: Supernova M99 Mini Pro-25, Lupine SL X E-Bike, Light&MotionSeca1800 E-Bike (order connecting cable separately)

Lights will be powered when bike is on, unless a switch is integrated into light wiring or head lamp itself
thx ! i think the repair guy was using the yellow connector

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels

Key facts:

that fixed it :) i connected the Lupine to the green connector, works perfectly, thanks (again)

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland

I have Lupine SL-X in my bike. Everything works flawless. Just tiny detail could be better. I have to turn light off everytime I turn on the bike. At summer I don't need any extra light. I hope they will introduce option to turn off light port with mission control. Some other bikes have such feature. Lupine is turned on automatically when I turn the bike on. There isn't any option to disable that.

1622654052068.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cool thanks. What does #5 E-bike do?
The other electrical connections on versions with a throttle are brake lights and a circuit to the brakes that disconnects motor power when the brakes are applied...............so maybe one of those??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles