• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Route planning software

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I have an absolute ton of GPX files that I study in google earth to plan rides and try to link up the trails in the best way but its not very good for that.
is there a software that I could do that with? preferably free and I dont need to output files cos I dont use a gps when riding

Bodark

Feb 1, 2020
Nottingham
I think Komoot might be a good option for you. I think you only have to pay if you want to download maps to a Garmin though you do get one county for free of your choosing. You will be able to import all of your GPX files also, I often ride routes built by people in a facebook group and if I like them I just download the GPX from Strava and import it to Komoot so that I can ride the same route again.

It's also good for finding new routes / trails and its what I've been using exclusively for most of the year now. There's been some times where its sent me down private roads but for the most part the routes it suggests are quite accurate.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I think Komoot might be a good option for you. I think you only have to pay if you want to download maps to a Garmin though you do get one county for free of your choosing. You will be able to import all of your GPX files also, I often ride routes built by people in a facebook group and if I like them I just download the GPX from Strava and import it to Komoot so that I can ride the same route again.

It's also good for finding new routes / trails and its what I've been using exclusively for most of the year now. There's been some times where its sent me down private roads but for the most part the routes it suggests are quite accurate.

Komoot is what i use as well, then a map study to make sure because some trails are not in their system. There is a alpine/enduro mode that will pick the more single track style routes which is what i use

guys I tried komoot, I put a fair bit of time into it but its absolutely hopeless around here. unless im missing some eay to teach it that there are obvious trails.. it refuses to use well known and well used trails even on alpine and max fitness etc it will use 90% road when I have already loaded a trail that ive ridden etc.. its probably me because it feels like it should be better.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Tbh, I’m not sure there is one. I’ve looked as well as I want to do the same. It looks like a mix of trailforks, osmaps, komoot get close but none of them do what you’re after to my knowledge.

OSMaps and Garmin Connect allow you to free form plot but they both have massive limitations. Neither snap to trails properly unfortunately in my experience.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
I use bikemap, ( Bikemap - your perfect route ) not perfect but will lock on cycle paths using OSM and you can freedraw, and its free unless you want to have enhanced features like open cyclemap etc. Its not perfect but i find it easier than komoot, and even when in the free version you can save and export GPS or KML files. I guess like most things its about what works best for the individual.

Bumpy

Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
I use a combo of all trails, trail forks and komoot. They all fail to pick up trails in certain local areas though so I haven't found a perfect app.

One thing I like about all trails is a feature called life line which sends frequent live updates of your ride to selected contacts, great when solo.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
guys I tried komoot, I put a fair bit of time into it but its absolutely hopeless around here. unless im missing some eay to teach it that there are obvious trails.. it refuses to use well known and well used trails even on alpine and max fitness etc it will use 90% road when I have already loaded a trail that ive ridden etc.. its probably me because it feels like it should be better.

I hear you. What I find, is you need to give it a little encouragement ;-) ie drag and drop the route onto the trail you want to go on, and then I find it builds a route to and from that trail which isn't too bad. Agree though, you have to guide it at first for it to come up with something you would actually want to ride...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles