Rockshox fork travel question.

I just purchased a Pike RTC3 fork for my Levo. So the sticker on the left fork leg says '150mm travel' and the sticker on the right leg says '29" wheel'. While checking some specs. on Rockshox website I noticed it says ' Pikes for 29" wheels are 140mm travel (but 150mm travel for 27.5 wheels).
Seems strange to me - so that means the Levo Comp (Revelation - same chassis as Pike) and the Levo Expert with Pike have 140mm travel forks.

When I place the Pikes next to the Sektors there is about 5 or 6mm difference when measured from crown to axle - I know it's a tiny amount but it drops the front end 5 or 6mm which affects the head angle!

Am I being fussy? Will I notice the difference? Is this a misrepresentation by Rockshox and Specialized?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Often you will see different configurations on OEM equipped bikes to those available aftermarket, and sometimes these OEM specified forks get sold on via the likes of Chain Reaction.

It is also quite normal for different forks of the same travel to have different overall lengths, e.g I believe Fox Forks tend to be taller the RS forks of the same travel (Thought it could be the other way around :cool:)

Where did you get the fork from?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have 29" Revelation forks that are 150mm. If you are concerned about the travel, measure it to confirm that it is in fact 150mm.

Briefly, I was in possession of a bike in Dec'18 that looked like it had a 150mm Fox fork, the exposed stanchion measured 150mm, and both the sales guy and the workshop guy said it was 150mm. I said that the bike was supposed to be 140mm travel, they replied with "this is the factory edition and it's been upgraded".
But when I deflated the shock fully, compressed it, then re-inflated it, the travel was 140mm. I used the "O" ring to indicate travel. There was a 10mm gap between the O ring and the top of the stanchion. In this case the fork was a pukka 150mm fork that has been restricted to suit the designed 140mm geometry.

Lesson: If you have doubts measure it for yourself! Don't take assurances for granted.

Vandal

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I had a similar problem with my Revelation also, they were supposed to be 150mm but in fact after riding for three months I kept getting pedal strikes and couldn't work it out so I measured my forks and they were 140mm, I then checked the serial number on the RockShox website and in fact it says my fork is a 140mm so contacted the lbs and told them this and how it should be a 150mm fork , was sent to RockShox and they put on new lowers and air spring and its now a 150mm as it should be also they are much smoother after they came back, can't fault SRAM UK for the service and the lbs for sorting it, so always worth asking and check the numbers

I looked up the serial number on the Rockshox setup app. It does indeed say 150mm travel.
These are new forks but made for OEM market - so I guess they are made to be 150!
Anywhooo - looking forward to getting out on them - when it stops raining here!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I looked up the serial number on the Rockshox setup app. It does indeed say 150mm travel.
These are new forks but made for OEM market - so I guess they are made to be 150!
Anywhooo - looking forward to getting out on them - when it stops raining here!

The serial number on the forks I had also said that they were 150mm travel. Everything about them had been made to be 150mm travel. But that had been reduced (I assume at the end of the manufacturing process) by Fox to suit Focus's requirement for 140mm travel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles