Rockshox Deluxe Select Rear shock settings

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Hey everyone how are you? I’m really enjoying my new Fox 36 and Rockshox rear shock seems to be a good pairing so far, doing really well. It was running low on pressure and I didn’t realise how often I was bottoming out, but now I’ve got it set for 62psi for my 182lbs.

Does anyone have a good guide on the setup of compression and rebound? I can only find one dial on the shock which is for rebound. The SRAM site says it has a 3 position setting compression but I don’t see it.

Deluxe Select - RS-DLX-SEL-B2 - RockShox

this is the shock:

84495EA0-FD53-495B-987E-F6C46CB810E8.png
CAB6D417-503F-4A6F-91D2-5D350507470B.jpeg
B787A38A-4983-454C-8AD6-B47C5A2C47A7.jpeg

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
All you can change is the sag, as marked on the shaft and measured with the orange o-ring, and the rebound; how quickly the shock returns to its normal position after it's been compressed by the bike hitting a bump.
People generally set it to between 20-30%, more sag will soak up smaller bumps but there is less travel left for larger ones.
The rule of thumb and an initial setting is a lb of pressure for each lb of your total riding weight, i.e. you with kit on.

Set the rebound in the middle and view the various YT videos about how to fine tune it. There's also a good sticky in the General section of this forum about set up.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Your psi is way too low. Set the %sag and away you go. There are many short videos on how to set sag on an mtb; Google it. Once you are up and running, adjust the sag later depending upon how it feels to you when you ride on the trail. Same with your fork. You need a shock pump to do this.

glovemtb77

Aug 2, 2020
For all you guys still living in your mom's basement. Thread Trolls: Yes we know it is an old thread.
Another sneeky thing you can do for long climbs is too turn your rebound all the way to lowest setting. I will make your out of the saddle stuff much more fun even on mid technical stuff. On very technical you still adjust down for climbing efficiency just not all the way. We are just simulating a 3 position damper open,trail,firm. But don't forget to turn it back to lots of rebound when headed back down. Just give it a try for fun and something different. It might be your cup of tea (if you really kinda like climbing single track on a hardtail like me [inspite of the nice folks that say always leave your rear shock open or you don't know what you are doing lol],), or it might not.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles