Hi, bike selection dilema

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
Hi all, found the forum a few days ago and have been keenly digesting much of the content since.

Looking to make my first ebike purchase, though am struggling with the many options out there. I'm a shortish rider at 5'8" so typically medium framed bike sizing. I prefer technical singletrack, with more of an XC blend than downhill focused. Current favourite ride is a Santa Cruz 5010, so medium travel, compact geo that is lightweight and very easy to flick around with minimal effort.

Have tried the following assisted bikes:

• Trek Powerfly - this was very fast both up and down hill, very smooth but felt stuck to the ground and more of a steam roller on technical tight trails. Needed a lot of effort for fast direction changes so lazily just ploguhed over everything in the end.
  • Specialized Levo - plafyul but the power delivery was just too on and off on my test ride. Seemed to over run after pedal effort had ceased and felt too on/off when asssitance was being delivered at low to moderate speeds.
  • Cube (cant' recall model, 160 mm travel) - my favourite of the Bosch powered bikes I have tried, though then tried Shimano powered bikes and preferred their power delivery.
  • Moustache Race - Felt long at the front and vague, might have been tyre choice? Seat tube on a medium was quite tall and didn't allow me as much clearance as I would have liked when seat was down. Short legs here so this is an important consideration.
  • Merida Eone Sixty 900 - currently my preferred bike, suspension was superb, though should be at this point I guess. It had a more playful, flickable nature that I am looking for. Not a fan of the Di2, though that might just be my unjustified concerns over more tech than is actually needed.

The only thing keeping me from the Merida is the Canyone Spectral On. It looks to have geo that would be ideal (aside from a slightly tall seat tube). Looks great value, though that's not the priamry decision factor, would rather spend the cash needed to get the best bike for my requirements.

So if you read this far, I have to ask why you're not out riding instead in this fine weather :)

Any and all feedback / input would be welcomed. Views above on various bikes are just that, my views and of course, may not reflect your own or others.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
May i suggest the De Vinci DC? If i was looking for a trail bike with all round capability, shimano motor, and a top spec, it would be my choice - also has bottle mounts which the merida does not:

DEVINCI - DC XT

£4319 in the sales too:

Buy the new Devinci DC NX/GX E-Trail 2018 - Freeborn.co.uk

ac__jpg_2000x1160_q100-1.jpg

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I had a 5010. You will not find an e-bike that is anywhere as nimble as that yet. If you can wait the Lapierre e-Zesty could get you close. Of the current crop of bikes look at the focus jam2 or the Devinci R120 mentioned. I have an Rocky Mountain Powerplay and it by far the most "normal" feeling ebike I have ridden. Had some technical problems with it out of the box (motor replaced and hopefully sorted now) but it really does just feel like a bike, nimble and flickable compared to anything else I have ridden with a motor but still nowhere near the 5010.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
your comments on the levo that feeling is just motor not set up properly via the app. it amazes me why the shops dont bother to setn it up properly for a demo ride they must lose a load of sales.
good luck with your choice its going to be hard

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
Thanks for the input so far.

The Levo actually had me a bit stumped too - given all the positive feedback I'd read from owners. It was actually Specialized themselves hosting the bikes for the local stores demo day - they had quite a fleet available. Saying that, the dropper was not working and the shifting was not adjusted correctly - so I did actually head back to them after to see if they had another I could try, but all were proving popular so were out. Perhaps I just had a dog on the day and need to get on another.

Seems Spectral owners or any longer term experiences of them are not easy to come by.

Need to call Freeborn back to chat about the Devinci - though cannot find any real feedback or articles on it which is a shame.

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
After much reading and riding of demo bikes, I've decided to give the Merida EoneSixty a go.
Just ordered it at lucn time and can't wait for it to arrive!

So I'd better get onto Canyon and cancel the SpectralOn order that I placed last week.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles