RockShox Charger 2 RCT3 Damper Upgrade Kit for the 2018 Revelation fork

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have just ordered the RockShox Charger 2 RCT3 Damper Upgrade Kit for my 2018 Revelation fork together with a 160 mm airshaft. This should basically convert my 150 mm Revelation to a 2018 spec 160 mm Pike fork. Anyone here done this conversion on their Levo and if so, are you happy with the result?

I'm going 160 mm in order to maintain the geometry of the bike as I will lift the rearend correspondingly with offset shock bushings. I'm hoping that this will help with pedal strikes im battling and going coil shock at the back I want a little more small bump sensitivity in the front as well.

Karsten

DaiGaled

Jul 9, 2018
Pencoed
I have just ordered the RockShox Charger 2 RCT3 Damper Upgrade Kit for my 2018 Revelation fork together with a 160 mm airshaft. This should basically convert my 150 mm Revelation to a 2018 spec 160 mm Pike fork. Anyone here done this conversion on their Levo and if so, are you happy with the result?

I'm going 160 mm in order to maintain the geometry of the bike as I will lift the rearend correspondingly with offset shock bushings. I'm hoping that this will help with pedal strikes im battling and going coil shock at the back I want a little more small bump sensitivity in the front as well.

Karsten
That sounds like something I would like to do but don’t have the technical know how. Let us know how it turns out.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thinking the same change, not sure would it be worth of the money - so interested what is your feedback afterwards...

I do believe that its a cheap way of upgrading your fork to the next level for less than 200€. I will come back with some real life experience when I do the upgrade, possibly next weekend.

Karsten

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Probably the best £40 I’ve spent on my bike this year , it’s transformed my lyric especially the hand numbing chatter on washboard trails .

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

bigborett

Jul 17, 2018
Australia
Did it to mine but kept at 150mm.
The 2019 debonair air shaft is an instant improvement money well spent.
With the damper, I do believe it is better but I probably could have battled through with the original and it is a greater expense.
Not to hard to do, there are videos and Rockshox manual etc.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

Dsc

Sep 9, 2018
Cambridge
I changed the ohlins 150 travel forks for a set of fox 36 factory 160 travel and have had this set up for 6 months, The extra 10 mm of travel made little to no difference in the way the bike handled, However I do run more static sag now nearer 30 percent as opposed to 24 percent with the ohlins forks which give a plusher ride on the front end.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Any feedback from someone who has done this? I am wanting to go to 160mm on 2018 Revelation (2018 Levo Comp). Also I read that these forks come with tokens preloaded, can anyone confirm?

bekolu

Jul 27, 2018
Germany
Also I read that these forks come with tokens preloaded, can anyone confirm?

Mine had 2 tokens. I think Specialized put 1 token in the Revelation when it comes with a regular MTB and 2 for an E MTB. With 2 tokens and the psi recommendations printed at the fork, the Revelation is far to hard. Would also be interested in any feedback on Revelation tuning. I´m also thinking about an AWK: AWK • ROCK SHOX REVELATION (2018+) . German website, not sure if they provide english language for their website.

MarkH

Patreon
Aug 12, 2018
Manchester
I've put the 160mm airshaft kit in my revelation and have to say it's a good upgrade for only 40 quid: not night and day improvement but we'll worth. I will be going for the charger kit next as the 2015 Pikes with charger are still the best forks I've ridden and I know the difference the damper can make on repetitive hits. I've done Revos on a capra with Pikes and a Tues with non charger Boxxers and the Pikes were better.

DaiGaled

Jul 9, 2018
Pencoed
Hi Khorn, did you do the upgrade? If so any pictures? I would like to know as I’m still considering this. Thanks

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Hi Khorn, did you do the upgrade? If so any pictures? I would like to know as I’m still considering this. Thanks
Yes I did but unfortunately I forgot all about the pictures. It is really a very easy job if you have tried to wrench before. There are numerous very detailed guides on You-tube and Rockshox even have a "how to do" upgrading the Revelation to Pike.

Only thing, apart from the new hydraulic unit and Debon airshaft, are to buy some specific fork grease and fork oil. It took me about 20 minutes from when I started until I had a new 160 mm Pike fork :D

Karsten

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Thanks for the reply. How much of a difference has it made? I think it’s going on my Christmas list ?
The upgrade made a huge difference, I was a bit annoyed about the stock Revelation as it was skipping over smaller bumps giving a very harsh ride. After the upgrade it is so much more sensitive in the first part of the travel and I can feel the benefits in my hands as the numb feeling I had after a short ride with the stock setup, is completely gone now.

The 10 mm difference does not make much of a difference apart from me being able to run a little more sag without sacrificing BB height and thus providing even more sensitivity towads smaller bumps. For your information I had to add an extra token with the new setup so I'm running 2 in the fork now and it is simply perfect for my riding style. If you are a heavy guy like me and doing bigger drops/jumps, I would recommend 1 or 2 more tokens.

Karsten

DaiGaled

Jul 9, 2018
Pencoed
The upgrade made a huge difference, I was a bit annoyed about the stock Revelation as it was skipping over smaller bumps giving a very harsh ride. After the upgrade it is so much more sensitive in the first part of the travel and I can feel the benefits in my hands as the numb feeling I had after a short ride with the stock setup, is completely gone now.

The 10 mm difference does not make much of a difference apart from me being able to run a little more sag without sacrificing BB height and thus providing even more sensitivity towads smaller bumps. For your information I had to add an extra token with the new setup so I'm running 2 in the fork now and it is simply perfect for my riding style. If you are a heavy guy like me and doing bigger drops/jumps, I would recommend 1 or 2 more tokens.

Karsten
Thanks for that info. Now to convince the wife that it’s a necessity for my wellbeing ?

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia

Karsten
Finally made my mind to upgrade my revelation 2018 Levo fork to Charger 2 and Debonair 160 mm spring. Can you pls check if I got the correct items:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=276699
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=230705

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Finally made my mind to upgrade my revelation 2018 Levo fork to Charger 2 and Debonair 160 mm spring. Can you pls check if I got the correct items:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=276699
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=230705

That is the same parts as I upgraded my Revelation with apart from getting the charger 2 without remote:

RockShox Charger 2 RCT3 Damper Upgrade Kit 27.5 Inches for Pike Boost A2, B1 / Revelation B1 - 00.4018.783.015

Karsten

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What I have read is that fitting the Charger 2 RCT3 damper upgrade to your Revelation converts it to a Pike. Do you get some Pike stickers to replace the Revelation ones on the fork legs?

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
What I have read is that fitting the Charger 2 RCT3 damper upgrade to your Revelation converts it to a Pike. Do you get some Pike stickers to replace the Revelation ones on the fork legs?
I beleive we discussed Charger 2 upgrade to Pike in this or some other thread. I'm not going with Pike stickers though, but rather some different stickers ) Will post here when I'm done.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
Looking forward to it! :)
Here it is. Assembled it already and prepared for installing. Tomorrow I will do the swap and will test it during weekend.

20190408_182704.jpg
20190408_182813.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles