Rockshox 35 stiction

• Thread starter Deleted member 7464
  • Start date
Apr 26, 2020
Out west
How could they forget to put oil in them? One legs major function is to be an oil bath! Ridiculous!

I'm wondering if mine has the same issue. The rebound adjustment does absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
no adjustments did anything to mine, even taking the two spares out made no difference.

this is what i found...

this is the total oil from both legs

4nNszvRSRoeoIjQZoUz5nQ.jpg

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
no adjustments did anything to mine, even taking the two spares out made no difference.

this is what i found...

View attachment 29959

this is what i found...

View attachment 29959

Thanks for that. Does that include the uppers? The service guide shows 4 differernt places to add oil. Both lower legs and both upper legs. Some is 5wt, some is 15!
To check the damper oil bath you need to open the top of the damper leg, pull the cap assembly and measure the distance from the leg crown to the oil. At least I think that's what it's saying. It's a complicated design for their budget offering

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
He said hardly any oil in the lowers. So I'd assume he didn't do anything with the damper.
As you'll have seen from the tech docs/service guide there's only meant to be a small amount of oil for lower leg lubrication which has nothing to do with the damper oil, which as you rightly state stays contained within the upper leg when the lowers are removed
it's pretty common for only a little oil to dribble out during a RS lower leg service, some is soaked up by the foam rings and slowly used up over time by the action of the fork and some is still in the lowers. RS tend to er on the stingy side from new too,

Last edited:

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Thanks for that. Does that include the uppers? The service guide shows 4 differernt places to add oil. Both lower legs and both upper legs. Some is 5wt, some is 15!
To check the damper oil bath you need to open the top of the damper leg, pull the cap assembly and measure the distance from the leg crown to the oil. At least I think that's what it's saying. It's a complicated design for their budget offering
I just did a 50 hour service, it’s just lower legs....

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
I just did a 50 hour service, it’s just lower legs....

I'm assuming you have a Levo? Could you tell which version of the 35 came on our bikes? I looked mine over very closely today and it only says 35. There are 3 versions from what I can see. Gold, Silver, and a third I think that's related to the silver.

Last edited:

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I'm assuming you have a Levo? Could you tell which version of the 35 came on our bikes? I looked mine over very closely today and it only says 35. There are 3 versions from what I can see. Gold, Silver, and a third I think that's related to the silver.
there are more than that too... my is the Revelation. if you want to know exactly what you have then look on rockshox trailheads.... type in the number on the back of the fork crown and it will give you all the info you will ever need....

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I pumped them to 93 lbs. Opened the rebounds and closed 2 clicks. After seeing the oil I snugged up the bottom bolts. But they really weren't loose. Put a 16th turn. That's the only thing I did.
Then I have no clue.... I know it sounds silly but, are you sure it’s from your forks?

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
ive never taken a fork apart and not too happy doing it but will if it makes it better, this morning i had to stop riding as my hands went numb.... im only riding in woods on fairly smooth paths...

so this video i found, is this what i have to do, more towards the end of the video?

I agree with those who think the RockShox 35 supplied with the Turbo Levo 2020 is not really good. I test rode my friends Trek Rail 7 and his front suspension was amazing compared to my bike.

I’m looking to upgrade mine. I’m learning and reading what would be a good fork. option

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Not sure if im having simpler issue that is being said but, i have a 2019 Levo comp with the Rockshox forks..... i just can't get them to feel right.... i mean like forks. they are just way too stiff. I can push them up and down and bounce but riding is like a solid hard fork no matter where i put the rebound knob.... and yet he sag is correct. could this be oil issue? might as well be ive had pretty much every other issue Levos have.

thanks
does that fork have compression damping? Compression damping will do that. That's probably way too obvious, I've never had luck with using sag or factory pressures for weight. I just try to have it so that I nearly use all the suspension on a ride. My pressures are always way under factory recommendations - so I must just be a slow rider :ROFLMAO:. I play around with rebound for slow technical rocky stuff, but not much, because I want it to work on the faster descents. I also find that hard tire pressures are like no rebound damping.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
I agree with those who think the RockShox 35 supplied with the Turbo Levo 2020 is not really good. I test rode my friends Trek Rail 7 and his front suspension was amazing compared to my bike.

I’m looking to upgrade mine. I’m learning and reading what would be a good fork. option
I got my bike back from the LBS and the fork is much improved. Like 5x better. It's compliant and seems like maybe I will keep it. If yours is sticking it needs to be serviced. Not just oil but disassembled and rebuilt properly. It's a night and day difference.

Apr 26, 2020
Out west
does that fork have compression damping? Compression damping will do that. That's probably way too obvious, I've never had luck with using sag or factory pressures for weight. I just try to have it so that I nearly use all the suspension on a ride. My pressures are always way under factory recommendations - so I must just be a slow rider :ROFLMAO:. I play around with rebound for slow technical rocky stuff, but not much, because I want it to work on the faster descents. I also find that hard tire pressures are like no rebound damping.
Your not alone, I ride reasonably competently and I don't like the recommended settings on any bike I've ridden. Always much less air and a lot less rebound.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK

The Trek Rail 7 runs a Rockshox Yari doesn’t it?

They still run a Debonair air spring and Motion Control damper, same as on the 35 Gold, so they shouldn’t feel that different?

I’ve never ridden a Yari, but I find the Gold 35 competent for what it costs. Maybe your fork needs a setup, or just a bit of use? How old are the forks on your mates bike?

On mine I have Compression damping wound off, and a bit less rebound than recommended. I also run a bit less air pressure than recommended, I don’t worry too much about the sag setting, I just go with what feels right for my riding which is mainly just trails and rocky/rutted short descents.

They can feel a bit harsh, particularly when new and running too much pressure.

Regarding any new fork you buy, depends on your budget but the Yari is well regarded and upgradable, although I’d you go down that route you may as well get the Lyrik. I’ve not ridden the Fox offerings much, so can’t really comment, but they are pricey.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico
The Trek Rail 7 runs a Rockshox Yari doesn’t it?

They still run a Debonair air spring and Motion Control damper, same as on the 35 Gold, so they shouldn’t feel that different?

I’ve never ridden a Yari, but I find the Gold 35 competent for what it costs. Maybe your fork needs a setup, or just a bit of use? How old are the forks on your mates bike?

On mine I have Compression damping wound off, and a bit less rebound than recommended. I also run a bit less air pressure than recommended, I don’t worry too much about the sag setting, I just go with what feels right for my riding which is mainly just trails and rocky/rutted short descents.

They can feel a bit harsh, particularly when new and running too much pressure.

Regarding any new fork you buy, depends on your budget but the Yari is well regarded and upgradable, although I’d you go down that route you may as well get the Lyrik. I’ve not ridden the Fox offerings much, so can’t really comment, but they are pricey.

Thank you.

Yes, it’s the Yari on Rail 7.

From other thread, it seems there’s something wrong with my fork.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It does seem to me that in a number of cases the Rockshox forks supplied with the Levo and maybe also the Kenevo have little or no oil in them and either too much or congealed grease. Whether that is due to build or extended storageor possibly even the method of transportation before delivery and first use I have no idea. In most cases a lower leg service under warranty seems to resolve most issues. The other factor.....compounded by the lack of oil and excess grease is that the forks are tuned for e bike use often with an additional spacer and (I suspect) different porting, so already have stiffer compression. That makes the normal guideance on air pressure and rebound less useful. It also means the fork even when properly tuned and service may be too harsh for lighter riders and those mostly riding xc type trails. I have the Rev fork on my Levo Comp working nicely for me. It had to be serviced when I bought the bike and I took both spacers out. I run it at 70psi and I weigh 78kg. I ride forest trails with tech downhill and smallish drops and ramps. During a ride I invariably use 90 to 95% travel.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I have a 2020 Trek Rail 5 and Rockshox 35 Gold RL forks also. After the 300km the forks have become very very sticky so that I can see the forktubes vibrating when braking with front brake.

I changed all oils to 2.5 Silkolene RFS oil and greased all o-rings etc. seals with Renolit RHF. The end result was almost the same as before maintenance.

I noticed a little unnormal stiction when pressing the forks together. There's only the fork seals and the bushing. After reading couple of topics I've let me understand that in most cases changing the oils doesn't fix to stiction problem totally.

Open questions
  • Could it be possible that the bushings/bearings have too tight tolerance?
  • Is it common case that the fork tubes bent and cause stiction? (With my slow riding skills it sound a bit unrealistic.)
  • If tolerance is not correct, then why the stickiness has increased during my first 300km?
Guarantee case will take valuable riding time atleast 4 weeks I guess. New Gold 35 RL forks costs 400 euros. New Yari would be 600 EUR and Lyrik 850 EUR.

:unsure:

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
I have a 2020 Trek Rail 5 and Rockshox 35 Gold RL forks also. After the 300km the forks have become very very sticky so that I can see the forktubes vibrating when braking with front brake.

I changed all oils to 2.5 Silkolene RFS oil and greased all o-rings etc. seals with Renolit RHF. The end result was almost the same as before maintenance.

I noticed a little unnormal stiction when pressing the forks together. There's only the fork seals and the bushing. After reading couple of topics I've let me understand that in most cases changing the oils doesn't fix to stiction problem totally.

Open questions
  • Is it common case that the fork tubes bent and cause stiction? (With my slow riding skills it sound a bit unrealistic.)
  • If tolerance is not correct, then why the stickiness has increased during my first 300km?
Guarantee case will take valuable riding time atleast 4 weeks I guess. New Gold 35 RL forks costs 400 euros. New Yari would be 600 EUR and Lyrik 850 EUR.

I think you should read this.
Rockshox 35 Gold RL Disassemble Whats Inside?- Mtbr.com

I think that fork is just piece of junk. I just ordered Lyrik Ultimate and I will get rid of that 35 gold.
I also made lower leg service and that helped littlebit but stitchion in still present.

RodC

May 28, 2020
Queretaro, Mexico

Open questions

I finally fixed my RS Gold 35 fork problems....
Couldn’t be happier.

993246DE-7AA5-4D51-B55C-FABE5A66FF26.jpeg

B63B1C20-C859-4634-A5C1-8C00B2DC6206.jpeg

C6FE9516-BE36-48E9-91A0-5BE2FFDD1280.jpeg

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
mine is a 2021 38, probably there will be some issues coming, but this thing is amazing. The 35 is junk junk junk
Yeah, I have seen two rs 35 gold and one fox 36 forks. There is some difference between these two rs 35 golds and both are suffering stiction at certain level, but fox 36 is really smooth. But as the videos show there could be troubles with fox also. Bikes with rs 35 are 2020 models but manufactured in 2019.

I just called third buddy who has same same RS 35 gold(bike 2020). He told me that he hasn't any troubled with stiching. He has troubles with bushing clearances. Clearance is so big that if you apply front brake and move bike forward and backward you can hear clicking sound which indicates that there is quite big clearance somewhere in the fork.

Actually my friends fox 36 makes same kind of noise. It might be that the forks having issues with sticting are suffering too tight bushes. Maybe I have read somewhere that rs has adjusted clearance in later production of 35 gold forks... I don't remember where...

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Yeah, I have seen two rs 35 gold and one fox 36 forks. There is some difference between these two rs 35 golds and both are suffering stiction at certain level, but fox 36 is really smooth. But as the videos show there could be troubles with fox also. Bikes with rs 35 are 2020 models but manufactured in 2019.

I just called third buddy who has same same RS 35 gold(bike 2020). He told me that he hasn't any troubled with stiching. He has troubles with bushing clearances. Clearance is so big that if you apply front brake and move bike forward and backward you can hear clicking sound which indicates that there is quite big clearance somewhere in the fork.

Actually my friends fox 36 makes same kind of noise. It might be that the forks having issues with sticting are suffering too tight bushes. Maybe I have read somewhere that rs has adjusted clearance in later production of 35 gold forks... I don't remember where...

are you sure its the fork. I was sure I had the same problem, but I tightened the handlebar top cap a bit and the clicking/looseness has gone. I was certain it was the fork - it wasnt!

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia

Open questions

Yeah, after doing lower leg services on the RS and a pair of Fox 36’s, it was obvious that the RS were much tighter. I’m sure the issue is with bushings.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles