Rockshox 35 stiction

• Thread starter Deleted member 7464
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7464

Hey guys, just a lite tip for anyone that finds their rockshox 35 suffering from bad stiction. Check the lower leg oil levels are correct. my mrs's levo comp has these on and they felt terrible so after remembering that rockshox had a spell of not putting correct oil amounts in the lowers I thought I would check hers. Low and behold about 2 drops came out if I was lucky. A quick visit to rockshox website and the correct amount put in the forks feel extremely plush now. I left the bike upside down for a couple of hours to let the oil lube all the bushes and wiper seals.
I hope this may be of some help to others.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I always hang my bikes from the front wheel for this very reason. Also use suspension spray lube on these and the dropper and shock.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hey guys, just a lite tip for anyone that finds their rockshox 35 suffering from bad stiction. Check the lower leg oil levels are correct. my mrs's levo comp has these on and they felt terrible so after remembering that rockshox had a spell of not putting correct oil amounts in the lowers I thought I would check hers. Low and behold about 2 drops came out if I was lucky. A quick visit to rockshox website and the correct amount put in the forks feel extremely plush now. I left the bike upside down for a couple of hours to let the oil lube all the bushes and wiper seals.
I hope this may be of some help to others.
you don't say if you did a full lower service or just removed the foot bolts and topped up the oil?
If not. Next time do a full lower leg service.
It's almost as easy. remove your brake caliper and undo the hose clip from the lowers then remove the lowers from the stanchions completely, Once off remove the foam rings from the lowers (with a pick) and soak them both in a cup of oil while you clean the stanchions and lowers out. when cleaned, spray everything with brake cleaner (isopropyl spray) and wipe dry with a clean rag/tissue. Before reassembly apply fresh SRAM butter on inner lip of the seals and lightly on the bushings (you'll need some sort of dowel). This will make a ton of difference to small bump sensitivity too.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
I had the same issue, along with feeling like the rebound damper was crap, so I send them in for warranty repair. They ended up replacing the entire lower legs. According to Sram, the bushings were out of tolerance causing the stiction. Not sure why that would require swapping out the entire lower legs? Did nothing with the rebound damper so it still sucks IMO. To top it off they sent back a different color lower legs with different decal set. I had the matte finish and now I have glossy black. Kind of pisses me off actually. I think on a 2020 bike they should send back exactly what was on it. What do you think? Would that bother anyone else?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not sure why that would require swapping out the entire lower legs?
It doesn't. but it's a hell of a lot less hassle picking up a complete lower leg casting than removing/re-sizing bushings on a budget fork.
Did nothing with the rebound damper so it still sucks IMO.
It's a cheap fork. it has a very basic damper. you haven't even mentioned what your issue is/was with it?
To top it off they sent back a different color lower legs with different decal set. I had the matte finish and now I have glossy black. Kind of pisses me off actually.
While no one else on the planet will even notice or care.
I think on a 2020 bike they should send back exactly what was on it. What do you think?
not really. your fork is OEM spec. SRAM will have replaced your lowers with whatever stock they had. Possibly retail stock.
Have you taken up your *issue* with "them"?
Clue: you didn't buy your bike from SRAM
Would that bother anyone else?
Probably :rolleyes:

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
It doesn't. but it's a hell of a lot less hassle picking up a complete lower leg casting than removing/re-sizing bushings on a budget fork.

It's a cheap fork. it has a very basic damper. you haven't even mentioned what your issue is/was with it?

While no one else on the planet will even notice or care.

not really. your fork is OEM spec. SRAM will have replaced your lowers with whatever stock they had. Possibly retail stock.
Have you taken up your *issue* with "them"?
Clue: you didn't buy your bike from SRAM

Probably :rolleyes:
Haha! Good answers. "They" is Sram warranty repair. Are you sure that you don't work for Sram? You gave the exact answers that they gave. I will disagree with you on one point, I think I should have gotten back the same color fork. It is what it is though. And yes, I did take up my "issue" with them and got the exact answer that you gave. Actually, maybe I'll disagree with you on two points, lol. I don't think that a $500 retail fork is necessarily a "budget" fork. I mean it is compared to a $1000 fork, but it is still a fair bit of money. The issue that I have with the damper is it does a shit job of damping. Maybe I am expecting too much from a "budget" fork? Compared to my Fox 36 on my other bike, the damper is crap. I was getting hard "pogoing" on bigger hits. I originally called Sram warranty and described the issue and they said definetley should notice a large difference in damping from rebound open to all the way closed. So based on that they told me to send them in. There just isn't much difference in damping from open to closed. I'm sure my air spring pressure may have a lot to do with it. I run higher pressure with 2 tokens set up for my weight, 240lbs. My Fox fork handles that just fine though. Fair to say that I will swap this out with a Fox fork in the near future. Want to buy a RL Gold 35 fork?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are you sure that you don't work for Sram? You gave the exact answers that they gave.
I don't work for SRAM no. I have spent a fair amount of time dealing with folk just like you concerning SRAM products though ;)
I think I should have gotten back the same color fork.
TBF you did. Your decals are even the same colour, just a slightly different finish. New decals are readily available to buy aftermarket if it pains you so much that your bike fork decals have a slightly different finish you can't actually even see while riding ;)
I don't think that a $500 retail fork is necessarily a "budget" fork. I mean it is compared to a $1000 fork, but it is still a fair bit of money.
Nope. it's rockshox base level 35mm stanchion fork. That pretty much is the definition of budget.
Your fork isn't a retail item. it's OEM and as such it's value is considerably less than you think.
The issue that I have with the damper is it does a shit job of damping. Maybe I am expecting too much from a "budget" fork? Compared to my Fox 36 on my other bike, the damper is crap.
No. it does a basic job of damping. it's a basic damper. it's what they do. of course it's not going to be as advanced as the damper on a fork that costs twice the price. so yes. you absolutely are expecting too much from a budget suspension component.
I'm sure my air spring pressure may have a lot to do with it. I run higher pressure with 2 tokens set up for my weight, 240lbs.
You're actually ABOVE the recommended weight chart for the fork and this is your issue. And as higher spring rate requires stiffer damping to control rebound you're simply expecting far too much from a budget suspension item I'm afraid. SRAM wouldn't have put this as bluntly as I have. but it's the truth of the matter.
you didn't expect them to send you back a custom damper for your weight did you?
Want to buy a RL Gold 35 fork?
No thanks.
I read somewhere they're shit ;)

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
I don't work for SRAM no. I have spent a fair amount of time dealing with folk just like you concerning SRAM products though ;)
TBF you did. Your decals are even the same colour, just a slightly different finish. New decals are readily available to buy aftermarket if it pains you so much that your bike fork decals have a slightly different finish you can't actually even see while riding ;)

Nope. it's rockshox base level 35mm stanchion fork. That pretty much is the definition of budget.
Your fork isn't a retail item. it's OEM and as such it's value is considerably less than you think.

No. it does a basic job of damping. it's a basic damper. it's what they do. of course it's not going to be as advanced as the damper on a fork that costs twice the price. so yes. you absolutely are expecting too much from a budget suspension component.

You're actually ABOVE the recommended weight chart for the fork and this is your issue. And as higher spring rate requires stiffer damping to control rebound you're simply expecting far too much from a budget suspension item I'm afraid. SRAM wouldn't have put this as bluntly as I have. but it's the truth of the matter.
you didn't expect them to send you back a custom damper for your weight did you?

No thanks.
I read somewhere they're shit ;)
How do you know what color my decals are? LOL. You do seem to have all of the answers so you must be right. I get it now. Shit fork, I weigh too much. It is a retail fork BTW as it is for sale at any bike retailer. They are on line for $499. I guess I shouldn't have expected Sram customer service to tell me all of this and saved everyone the hassle of sending in the fork? I did ask them up front if this was a matter of the fork just being a lower spec fork, or my weight being an issue, and they told me absolutely not, to send it in. I am certainly not unrealistic in my expectations of the capabilities of this fork. BTW, after a follow up call to them they asked me to send it back in but I had already figured it was just due to the limits of the fork so had decided not to send it. So even after asking again, is my weight too much for the fork or am I expecting too much from this model of fork I was told no. :unsure: Are you positive that you don't work for Sram? I appreciate the info. I do find it helpful but no need to be so defensive.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
"you didn't expect them to send you back a custom damper for your weight did you? "
Is that an option? If so, I probably would happily pay to do that.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
Description

With bigger bikes, there comes bigger demands. Thankfully, we created the 35 Gold to meet all of them, both in performance and value. Whether you have an E-MTB or a MTB, the burly 35 Gold will have you wondering how we packed so much quality into such a wallet-friendly package.

So, just to stir you up a bit more.....:p When I read this description from their site, it certainly doesn't sound like this fork would not handle a 240 lb rider. Isn't the debonair air spring used on most of their forks? And the fork has a good heavy frame so pretty stiff. Limiting piece is just the damper?

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
On a positive note, the new lowers did reduce the stiction a lot. And that was something that I was just attributing to the fork being a lower spec. So all is not bad.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I was just going to post a similar thread regarding my 35 gold forks on a 2020 bike, now I no to email Gary direct with my concerns to save any embarrassment on my behalf regarding expecting to much from a budget fork and being a tight cu*%t ;)

To be honest there not great, i would consider 200 quid to be about right, mine are sticky for the 1st inch then the compression damping does fuck all from open to before lock. The rebound from hard to soft is negligible from static.

I may investigate the oil situation and have a look inside.

Can I ask about my budget rear shock ? ( Dare I ask lol) Its a rock shock delux basic, i have wondered how the hell can a rear shock work properly with just rebound damping alone :rolleyes:, on a positive note the rebound knob actually works dramatically unlike the forks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How do you know what color my decals are? LOL.
Sorry. I read your original post as saying the fork was sent back with diffferent coloured decals. Now I've re-read it, and if I have it correct that they sent you back a completely different coloured lower leg assembly then yes. I'd absolutely agree you have good reason to complain.
what colour were the original lowers? If a custom colour I can understand how SRAM could not replace like for like (but i'd also have expected them to have told you this), if your OEM lowers were standard black and they sent you a completely different replacement colour not so much.

240lb is quite heavy for a mountainbike rider. You'll find difficulty in choosing off the shelf suspension products to work well at either end of the rider weight scale as they're a general product made to fit a spectrum of weights. (but all not all that wide).

one of the reasons your damping is weak on large hits is due to you using tokens. tokens ramp up the spring rate in the final portion of travel quite considerably so (obvz) more rebound damping will be required to control it.

So, just to stir you up a bit more.....:p When I read this description from their site, it certainly doesn't sound like this fork would not handle a 240 lb rider.
you're not stirring anything up. I'm just stuck indoors with coronavirus. Your fork issues don't really register on my scale of fucks given right now.
Read the RS35 description you quoted again. But this time try to read it from the perspective of a 170lb rider who currently rides a RS 30. (the 30mm stanchion equivalent).

I would consider 200 quid to be about right
Yeah. Mail order on discount from Merlin Cycles in 1996 maybe ;)

There's a suspension set-up guide stickied at the top of the general forum that might help you both.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Not sure if im having simpler issue that is being said but, i have a 2019 Levo comp with the Rockshox forks..... i just can't get them to feel right.... i mean like forks. they are just way too stiff. I can push them up and down and bounce but riding is like a solid hard fork no matter where i put the rebound knob.... and yet he sag is correct. could this be oil issue? might as well be ive had pretty much every other issue Levos have.

thanks

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
Not sure if im having simpler issue that is being said but, i have a 2019 Levo comp with the Rockshox forks..... i just can't get them to feel right.... i mean like forks. they are just way too stiff. I can push them up and down and bounce but riding is like a solid hard fork no matter where i put the rebound knob.... and yet he sag is correct. could this be oil issue? might as well be ive had pretty much every other issue Levos have.

thanks
I guess the consensus is that even though this fork sort of looks the part, it is just not a great fork. Your description is spot on. I have a Fox 36 on my other bike and it is so much better, but as has been mentioned, it is twice the price. I guess I'm just one of those unreasonable riders that expect to get a good fork with the big $$ that bikes cost these days.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
Sorry. I read your original post as saying the fork was sent back with diffferent coloured decals. Now I've re-read it, and if I have it correct that they sent you back a completely different coloured lower leg assembly then yes. I'd absolutely agree you have good reason to complain.
what colour were the original lowers? If a custom colour I can understand how SRAM could not replace like for like (but i'd also have expected them to have told you this), if your OEM lowers were standard black and they sent you a completely different replacement colour not so much.

240lb is quite heavy for a mountainbike rider. You'll find difficulty in choosing off the shelf suspension products to work well at either end of the rider weight scale as they're a general product made to fit a spectrum of weights. (but all not all that wide).

one of the reasons your damping is weak on large hits is due to you using tokens. tokens ramp up the spring rate in the final portion of travel quite considerably so (obvz) more rebound damping will be required to control it.

you're not stirring anything up. I'm just stuck indoors with coronavirus. Your fork issues don't really register on my scale of fucks given right now.
Read the RS35 description you quoted again. But this time try to read it from the perspective of a 170lb rider who currently rides a RS 30. (the 30mm stanchion equivalent).

Yeah. Mail order on discount from Merlin Cycles in 1996 maybe ;)

There's a suspension set-up guide stickied at the top of the general forum that might help you both.
It's all good. You are right about weight but without the tokens I had to use higher air pressure which made the fork feel far worse. The tokens helped to make the fork feel a lot better in the first half of the travel due to running less pressure. If I just had a little better rebound damping I think it would be a pretty good fork. I actually may look into getting the damper serviced or replaced if possible.

And yes, my original lowers were matte black and got replaced with gloss black with different decal. This was the least of my concern though, I just thought that it wasn't unreasonable to expect the same style lower back since it is a 2020 bike and my bike is a matte finish.

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
I was just going to post a similar thread regarding my 35 gold forks on a 2020 bike, now I no to email Gary direct with my concerns to save any embarrassment on my behalf regarding expecting to much from a budget fork and being a tight cu*%t ;)

To be honest there not great, i would consider 200 quid to be about right, mine are sticky for the 1st inch then the compression damping does fuck all from open to before lock. The rebound from hard to soft is negligible from static.

I may investigate the oil situation and have a look inside.

Can I ask about my budget rear shock ? ( Dare I ask lol) Its a rock shock delux basic, i have wondered how the hell can a rear shock work properly with just rebound damping alone :rolleyes:, on a positive note the rebound knob actually works dramatically unlike the forks.
I have the same shock as well and I actually like the rear shock even though it has no compression damper adjustment. I also agree that the rebound damper actually works pretty well on it.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
ive never taken a fork apart and not too happy doing it but will if it makes it better, this morning i had to stop riding as my hands went numb.... im only riding in woods on fairly smooth paths...

so this video i found, is this what i have to do, more towards the end of the video?

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
A lot of truth bombs!
Rockshox OEM forks for the Levo are about as poor as you can get.
Replace the damper and spring and they work well, £500+ later. I chose Push internals for both sides and am very pleased with the outcome.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And yes, my original lowers were matte black and got replaced with gloss black with different decal. This was the least of my concern though, I just thought that it wasn't unreasonable to expect the same style lower back since it is a 2020 bike and my bike is a matte finish.
Yeah. but like I said your lowers are OEM spec ordered by the bike manufacturer (probably close to a year before production). You can't expect SRAM to keep stock of lowers to the same specs as every single one of their customers (the manufacturer) spec'd. Likewise you can't expect the manufacturer to stock spares of every part their line of bikes uses.

As for your small bump performance. Every heavier rider has to give up small bump sensitivity due to needing higher spring rate for support. it's just something heavier riders have to accept.
but yes. upgrading from your basic damper could help here.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Rockshox OEM forks for the Levo are about as poor as you can get.
No. They're really not.
The 35 is miles ahead of many of the best forks available from 10-15 years back. ie. far stiffer chassis, improved seals, similar damping and improved air spring. Many cheap 2019/20 forks perform worse than the 35. They're perfectly adequate for most folks riding.
You get what you paid for though.
So rather than complain like a spoilt child vote with your money. (as you have now done)

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
ive never taken a fork apart and not too happy doing it but will if it makes it better, this morning i had to stop riding as my hands went numb.... im only riding in woods on fairly smooth paths...

so this video i found, is this what i have to do, more towards the end of the video?

It's also worth downloading the manual, easier to refer to in your person cave.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
KennyB already have, i gotta say the rockshox service guide is really good...

im so disappointed with my forks if this doesn't work, im getting the upgrade inserts or, just get the fox 36....

GZA

May 21, 2019
Herts
No. They're really not.
The 35 is miles ahead of many of the best forks available from 10-15 years back. ie. far stiffer chassis, improved seals, similar damping and improved air spring. Many cheap 2019/20 forks perform worse than the 35. They're perfectly adequate for most folks riding.
You get what you paid for though.
So rather than complain like a spoilt child vote with your money. (as you have now done)
Ouch! Mate...

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont know what is different in the 2020 forks compared to 2019 but as far as the 2019 Revelation is concerned I believe the fork is specifically tuned for an emtb and probably for a rider of about 90kg. It comes with 2 tokens fitted. The standard Revelation is fitted with 1 token. My mate has the standard Rev which he bought for his 2019 Levo base model and it requires a lot more air pressure than mine. His has 1 token....I am running with no tokens. He weighs 65kg and I weigh 78kg. Doing the same runs we both use identical suspension travel.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I’ve just serviced my 35s as they felt terrible and the difference is astounding. I’m sure they weren’t this good from the shop. I’d mentioned on another forum how my Shivers dived under braking and the 35s didn’t, thinking that it was the Shivs that were the problem but one guys comment led me to find this thread here.
Like the OP when I undid the bolts, barely any oil came out.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I have the revelation forks for now, and had problems since new.... not 200 miles on them but lower leg service done the other day, now..... they work.... had too much grease in the negative air and hardly any oil in the lowers. They aren’t great but work until my lyrik ultimates arrive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles