Rob, what camera and mount do you use?

caterhamnut

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
South West
Rob - can you do a quick selfie or something showing the orientation of your gimbal? I can’t get mine to stay ‘upright’ when riding - I hit a bump and it ‘falls over’ and I get a shot of the sky or ground....
I’ve found the chest mount and NO gimbal surprisingly good (as Jono shows above) but I’d like to actually be able to use the gimbal I bought!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ll do a vid showing my setup ?

@Jonowinter ive not yet actually used my Hero 6 for any vids yet, but I’ve created a chin mount for it to go on my full. You then get a more stabilised shot due to the nature of our heads actually acting as a gimbal (albeit not as smooth).

7FBC08E2-3FF1-4747-9DC9-3ACF67F2B4C0.jpeg

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Peaslake today. Need to point it down a few degrees. Get the bars and less of the horizon in. Should make it more entertaining.

Sorry about my panting, sounds like I’m going to pass out. Any “they” say you don’t work hard on an ebike...

Jonowinter

Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Bournemouth
I’ll do a vid showing my setup ?

@Jonowinter ive not yet actually used my Hero 6 for any vids yet, but I’ve created a chin mount for it to go on my full. You then get a more stabilised shot due to the nature of our heads actually acting as a gimbal (albeit not as smooth).

View attachment 4459

Cool, the chin mounted setup looks really good on Mctrail riders videos. Might have to invest in a full face helmet, cheaper than a gimbal and added protection in a crash. Look forward to a video showing your setup ??.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Peaslake today. Need to point it down a few degrees. Get the bars and less of the horizon in. Should make it more entertaining.

Sorry about my panting, sounds like I’m going to pass out. Any “they” say you don’t work hard on an ebike...

Nice! - you’ve got to be happy with that?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Here's my first go using the 'Mctrail' setup. Still a bit unhappy with the final result, my fault as I reduced the Max ISO to 100 which has resulted in a slow shutter speed and too much blur. Also some micro jitters in the stabilisation which I think is due to the chin mount being too low causing more movement.

Bu not bad for out the camera, no Gimbal.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Here's my first go using the 'Mctrail' setup. Still a bit unhappy with the final result, my fault as I reduced the Max ISO to 100 which has resulted in a slow shutter speed and too much blur. Also some micro jitters in the stabilisation which I think is due to the chin mount being too low causing more movement.

Bu not bad for out the camera, no Gimbal.

Hero 4 or 6?

That's not too bad at all considering..

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Hero 6. I think I can get it a lot better than that. Will try again tomorrow.

BTW - Hero 7 about to be released that is supposed to have 'gimbal like' stabilisation :eek:

Might be time to trade my 5 in I think ?

UKPHOTO

May 21, 2018
United Kingdom
Just from cursory view, be careful with the chin setup, the wrong off and under chin impalement could be possible.

I've only recently bought a GoPro (this after decades of professional photography and filming). But your number 1 thing is a secure base.
The GoPro chesty is pants (read my base comment) , the Stuntman harness is infinitely better.
I own and operate Freefly Movi gimbals and am pretty familiar. I bought a WG gimbal and after 1 try it's the only thing I've returned to Amazon. I felt it was not ready for primetime use sadly. After that (luckily) I found a used mint Karma, which although unwieldy (bit less but still not perfect with the cable extension) is so much better built and great to use.
I actually bought the GoPro for specific professional work but will have go on bike occasionally.
The GoPro 6 has pretty good dynamic range to be fair, surprised me, and the bit rate is good. Not fan of new codec though.
Obviously you're not gonna change physics, so high shutter speed (to allow speed ramping) requires lots of light (and I'd say above 800iso the image isn't great) so there are compromises.
Think everyone is doing great though, and the beauty of this cameras is their toughness and size which encourages experimentation. Actually I think a Session under the visor is a great option too.

Tmacca

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Australia
Looks good Rob.
I quite like the chin mount, though when I had it longer it would hit my chest on steep descents so now a bit higher.
Im not sure if the footage is any steadier than when mounted under visor where i normally have the Session, but trying a few more videos to compare.
IMG_3449.jpg

IMG_3452.jpg

Gopro chin mounted
IMG_3457.jpg

Gopro under Visor

Bongofish

Aug 27, 2018
Leeds
Hey all! Interesting topic.

I'm going to start a YouTube channel and just getting all equipment ready. I think I'll do more adventure biking with the ebike as IL get to places I couldn't on the acoustic.

I've recently bought a GoPro hero 6, chest mount with Evo SS gimble. A DJI spark drone as it comes in a case and is small enough to fit in a backpack. And then small tripods. I've done a couple of test runs and love the smoothness of the gimble bit much prefer the easyness of clicking record on GoPro and attaching it to helmet and forgetting it's there. Also your head is a bit like a human gimble anyway. To be honest on the couple of test runs I've done just going out and flying the drone and testing recording it's all very fun but very time consuming. I spend most my ride setting up gear and then filming and then packing up again until the next spot. And I'm by myself so shots like 'riding away from the camera' you have to literally ride away and then come back and pack it up and just edit out the coming back in editing. It's very time consuming on the rides and then just editing a 2 minute video can take me up to 2 hours. So not too sure what direction I want my channel to go in. Maybe @Rob Hancill you could let people contribute to the channel. Send you the final video and you upload it if you think it's good enough? So you have contributers to the channel. Means more content and not from more of your time?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
the mctrailrider chin mount method is something i will try as soon i have a fullface helmet. But with the long mount i would be afraid of stabbing myself in the chest - you not afraid @Rob Hancill ?
Not really, I guess there is a small risk though. Yesterday I shortened the mount ?
Also when I’m riding faster than I really should, I wear a Leatt body protector which should minimise any impact?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Tmacca I prefer the chin mount, I think its slightly more immersive with the POV that you get. Just my preference though. Obviously you can play with angles too, depending on how much of the bars that you want to see vs horizon etc.

I have now found my go to setup for my vids after having a quick go again today. I need to angle it down slightly to get a bit more of the bars in, but I'm really happy with the level of stabilisation it gives.

Very quick clip:

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey all! Interesting topic.

I'm going to start a YouTube channel and just getting all equipment ready. I think I'll do more adventure biking with the ebike as IL get to places I couldn't on the acoustic.

I've recently bought a GoPro hero 6, chest mount with Evo SS gimble. A DJI spark drone as it comes in a case and is small enough to fit in a backpack. And then small tripods. I've done a couple of test runs and love the smoothness of the gimble bit much prefer the easyness of clicking record on GoPro and attaching it to helmet and forgetting it's there. Also your head is a bit like a human gimble anyway. To be honest on the couple of test runs I've done just going out and flying the drone and testing recording it's all very fun but very time consuming. I spend most my ride setting up gear and then filming and then packing up again until the next spot. And I'm by myself so shots like 'riding away from the camera' you have to literally ride away and then come back and pack it up and just edit out the coming back in editing. It's very time consuming on the rides and then just editing a 2 minute video can take me up to 2 hours. So not too sure what direction I want my channel to go in. Maybe @Rob Hancill you could let people contribute to the channel. Send you the final video and you upload it if you think it's good enough? So you have contributers to the channel. Means more content and not from more of your time?
That a lot of quality kit you have got. It's a crazy amount of time to get a finished video, there's so much to do. Mine take a day to edit down into something watchable (from hours of footage!) and thats not including the filming and all the other stuff that goes into it (battery, cables, cards all that crap!!).

I'd be totally happy with anyone if they want to contribute to the channel, that'd be awesome!

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
@Tmacca I prefer the chin mount, I think its slightly more immersive with the POV that you get. Must my preference though. Obviously you can play with angles too, depending on how much of the bars that you want to see vs horizon etc.

I have now found my go to setup for my vids after having a quick go again today. I need to angle it down slightly to get a bit more of the bars in, but I'm really happy with the level of stabilisation it gives.

Very quick clip:

If you didn’t know you’d bet that was filmed with a humble!

EDIT: gimbal!

Last edited:

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
? - there’s always next time!
I've only just got my gimbal and Hero 4.... And now all the cool kids are changing back to the helmet mounts.

I tried the hero 5 black on the helmet under the visor but I really didn't like the stabilisation. The hero 6 looks better but the audio is still utter garbage. Heres hoping the hero 7 is better in both aspects.

One of my favourite PoVs always used to be Radde. He also has a video explaining his setup.

I bought the hero 4 and Feiyu WG2 as they were a good deal on eBay at the time. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I've tried my hero 5 in the gimbal and it's unusable due to the audio in my opinion.

My bike got shook to death over the small bumps there and the gimbal does a great job of smoothing it out

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
GoPro Hero 7 just announced. This is going to kill the need for gimbals!

I could be wrong but I still think electronic stabilisation is miles off for MTBing. For handheld and walking and things like that fine but with MTBing there is far too much movement and speed to capture it all and personally I have hate when the camera blurs and distorts the image to stabilise. It makes me turn videos off.

Just my opinion I know there are some who prefer the helmet mounted cams with stabilisation such as mctrailrider

P.s. I'm sure there will be plenty of videos out soon from all sorts of points of view and hopefully they prove me wrong so there can be more high quality MTB content

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles