Rob, what camera and mount do you use?

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Been trying to get some better videos but if I mount the camera to the bike you get a huge amount of shake, chest mount is better but not as clean as yours videos.

Any advise welcome!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
What camera do you use for recording normal stuff, not riding?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks Rob! It would be interesting to hear about how you make your videos sometime, how the editing process works, what software you use, post processing, etc. Not planning on starting a YouTube channel, but it would be nice to know what it entails.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Do you have a media background Rob? I ask because you can edit and produce videos to very high quality in super fast time - when at Eurobike for instance.
Anyway, keep up the good work.
Thanks Dave.

Not really, I worked at Apple for 7 years until May this year. So I kinda worked with many Creative professionals. Had a hobby in photography for a while which kinda moved into video (family vids of holidays et).

For Eurobike, I was always the very last 'media' person left on site each night from around 8pm - 12:30am. Security had to ask me to leave each evening (after I'd begged them for more time repeatedly :p) as they needed to lock up the buildings! I hung around just outside reception to get the last bit of WiFi to finish the uploads haha.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
Thanks Dave.

Not really, I worked at Apple for 7 years until May this year. So I kinda worked with many Creative professionals. Had a hobby in photography for a while which kinda moved into video (family vids of holidays et).

For Eurobike, I was always the very last 'media' person left on site each night from around 8pm - 12:30am. Security had to ask me to leave each evening (after I'd begged them for more time repeatedly :p) as they needed to lock up the buildings! I hung around just outside reception to get the last bit of WiFi to finish the uploads haha.

Haha, brilliant. Dedication is the name of the game!
Well fair play to you Rob, you've certainly got knack for it, and long may it continue bud. (y)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Knobby im currently looking at changing my gimbal mounted GoPro Hero 4 to a GoPro Hero 6 and chin mount it.

Saves the hassle of having to charge / carry more kit. The GoPro 6 in camera stabilisation is very, very good. Audio is not quite as good as the 4 (as the 6 is sealed, the 4 isn’t waterproof sealed therefore better the mic isn’t covered by a membrane), but it is useable.

Thing is they are still £350-£400 in price ?

What camera are you using?

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
@Knobby im currently looking at changing my gimbal mounted GoPro Hero 4 to a GoPro Hero 6 and chin mount it.

Saves the hassle of having to charge / carry more kit. The GoPro 6 in camera stabilisation is very, very good. Audio is not quite as good as the 4 (as the 6 is sealed, the 4 isn’t waterproof sealed therefore better the mic isn’t covered by a membrane), but it is useable.

Thing is they are still £350-£400 in price ?

What camera are you using?

This is my normal throw it on the bike and just see what comes out approach. Which this time didn’t work with the amount of cables in view lol. The main reason why I asked the question as wanted to smooth them out.

I’ve got a few Hero 4’s which I purchased when the 5 came out. The 5 didn’t seem to offer much more but the price of the 4’s dropped loads but it was still up there in quality.

The 6 sounds interesting, worth selling a few 4’s to buy one or invest in a gimbal? Hmmm

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I use a hero5 which also has stabilisation, I’m on holiday at the moment so can’t post any footage but it’s not too bad (will put something up when I return)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
what Chin mount you looking at dude?
I'm going to make one. When I was riding with McTrail Rider this is what he has done and the footage is excellent.

You need a full face, then mount the GoPro using a few mounts etc.

Here's a screen grab from an upcoming YouTube cut I'm working on that shows it. I'm hoping that he will do a 'how to' at some point as it's a great setup. I'm gonna call it the Mctrail Mount :cool: after him!

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 10.12.58.png

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
might have a little play with mounts when i get home from work, i have seen his footage before from his chin cam, and I agree it does look like the next best alternative to a gimbal.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
might have a little play with mounts when i get home from work, i have seen his footage before from his chin cam, and I agree it does look like the next best alternative to a gimbal.
In some cases I find its better, like when trying to talk to someone and getting them in shot. With a gimbal its really difficult!

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I have a Hero 6 which I haven't used on the bike yet but it was brilliant with a chest mount on both a Segway and a Quad bike.

Would be interested to hear recommendations on bike mounts as I was looking at the quadlock mount with Go Pro attachment, which should put the camera at about bar height.

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Gimbal ordered and received. Very cool bit of kit.

Not sure I like the chest mount. Use a rucksack most of the time when riding so feels like I have a lot of kit on my with the chest mount as well.

Anyone tried these mounts that fix onto the rucksack strap? It’s going to be a little offset but should be fine.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Gimbal ordered and received. Very cool bit of kit.

Not sure I like the chest mount. Use a rucksack most of the time when riding so feels like I have a lot of kit on my with the chest mount as well.

Anyone tried these mounts that fix onto the rucksack strap? It’s going to be a little offset but should be fine.
Nice. Which one? Also, which GoPro will you be using?

4 is best for sound. But get a little wind muffler for it...

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Not sure how this is going to work. Going to test tomorrow night.

Might be a little a little dark.

Just a bit worried it might hit me in the face.

E8AC01AF-778A-4DE1-82CA-F59F27CAEB71.jpeg 90EB06F1-A764-4E38-BB86-4B744AB3C579.jpeg

Knobby

Patreon
Jun 13, 2018
Hampshire, UK
Is it possibly to rotate it? Looks upside down to me... it prob will work that way, I’ve always used them with the ‘base’ flat

Are they fussy on their rotation? Got the impression it would work in any position.

With the base flat it creates a lot of swinging weight on a chest mount.

I’ll try and upload something later.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The image and stabilisation look good.

From what it is possible to see in the dark :)

Should be great in the daytime!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles