Rise Up - What are your upgrades?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi all,

Would be interested to see what people are upgrading on their Rises, and why. A dangerous thread for my wallet I feel....

What I have done on my M10 Size XL:
  • Tyres: Maxxis Assegai Front and DHRII rear. Not fitted but ordered with bike as reviews said standard tyres were poor. Still at Bike shop, waiting for the.....
  • Range Extender - Bought with bike in mid-feb. Still no sign. Not ever needed it yet though!
  • Front Brake Disc - Swapped out 180mm Galfer for Hope 220mm and adapter for more bite. Straight swap and very pleased. +100g -£60.
  • Grips: Brendog Thick Deathgrips - Not a huge difference, but a more comfortable grip for me.
  • Garmin Top Tube mount - Can mount the Garmin 530 straight onto the steerer. Clean, light look.
  • Additional volume spacers for 36 Factory forks - Currently unfitted. Aiming to smooth the chatter but not bottom out on small jumps and drops. Not a big deal, so haven't bothered yet
  • Tubeless conversion - LBS did this as bike prep for the sale
  • Pedals - DMR Flats. Have always had SPDs but not missing them at all. Flats are kinder on my old knees for twisting, more reassuring through sketchy technical bits and while those around me clatter around to get clipped in before a run, I'm straight in there! - Paired with some FiveTens for maximum grip
  • Cheap toolbox waterbottle - Short rides I don't need water, long rides I take a backpack/Camelback, so I keep my spare tube, levers, Stans tubeless repair, CO2 cannister in there
  • OneUp Pump and Multitool - Really good pump. Totally overspec'd and perhaps in hindsight unnecessarily heavy - but a lovely bit of kit and multitool.
  • Front Mudguard - RRP Proguard - Large f. Mounts to back of forks with screws, not zip ties. Ugly, but stops my face getting covered in sh*t.
  • Invisiframe - LBS didn't want to do it, so I fitted it - Takes HOURS when all I wanted to do was ride my brand new toy. Obviously worth it for the long run, but needs patience. Full gloss version for my bike.
What I'm thinking about:
  • AXS Rear derailler - One less wire. Simple install. Still split on swankiness vs another battery to charge.
  • Saddle - People mention the Ergon saddles, but I've never found this standard saddle uncomfortable so far....
  • AXS dropper - Well, since I've started.... but then have to find a place for the little LED block to go, possibly along the handlebar, but it's grown on me as I've got used to the mode colours, and it's useful having it out front.
  • Aftermarket Fork inserts - My wrists are a bit knackered from falling a lot of motorbikes. I rode a friend's DVO and it was smooth like butter on the trail. I would like to try to get the Fox 36 Factory to be more like that using insertable widgets into the fork leg. No idea if that will have the desired effect.
How about other Rise owners or those 'expecting' - What's planned?

View attachment 59254
Gang

kragu

Mar 23, 2021
Los Angeles
Changes from M10 build:

DHF/DHR2, Cush Core Pro in rear only

Ergon GD1 grips

Specialized Power Expert saddle

OneUp 180 dropper

160mm air shaft

Offset bushing

76 Projects Garmin mount

Also added a token to the fork (running 3 now) and the .8 volume spacer in the DPX2.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
I appreciate the sentiment. Sounds like you've never run up against thermal limits. On my Levo I cooked the stock SRAM rotors pretty badly. I'm using Shimano Freeza rotors now with much better results. Also thicker rotors offer similar thermal benefits, same for larger diameter rotors. But if your brakes aren't fading, it's a non-issue.

As for the Galfers: they are the same thickness as a typical mountain bike rotor (1.8mm) so I assume the weight savings comes from slimming everything down. Which means less material, therefore less thermal/cooling capacity and more flex.

Coincidentally they faded badly in one spot on my ride today, but I think it was the pads that overheated, the rotors look fine. It was a fast fire road descent with loose, flat corners, so I'd put a lot of heat into them. After a few mins flat riding they were fine again. Nonetheless I'm going to give these pads a try.

I don't think all Rise's come with the "LITE" axle, just the LTD. So presumably we can buy the "regular" one that goes in all the other bikes? If you look in the manual it lists both options:

View attachment 59448
  • LITE = X2060000
  • Regular = X2050000

Both. I checked Maxxis' website first, then weighed them myself when doing the tubeless conversion. The difference between the two, besides the size, is the compound. The 2.6 is Maxx Terra, the 2.4 is dual compound.

Maybe the 2.4 is mislabeled and is actually EXO+? It definitely says EXO on the sidewall and the matching Maxxis listing says EXO on their website. ?‍♂️

EDIT: Just for the record, claimed vs actual weights:

BrandModelPartSizeClaimedActual
MaxxisRekon EXOTB0001770029 x 2.4800880
MaxxisRekon EXO Maxx TerraTB9696200029 x 2.6780795
Tpi different. 120 on 2.6, 60 on 2.4.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
These are my changes so far:
  • Reverb AXS dropper
  • SQLab 611 Ergowave Active saddle
  • Changed the bars to SQLab 311 FL-X (I find the increased backsweep really comfortable)
  • Also had to change the stem for 31.8mm - went for the Raceface Atlas
  • Trying some Revgrips for the first time (seem fine)
  • Added some SQLab Innerbarends 411 R Carbon (great for changing hand position on road sections)
  • Trying a Hayes Dominion T2 brake on the front (Feels great and stronger than the XTR 2-pots, so I'll fit a rear one now too. Plus they are black!)
I've moved the EW-EN100 down near the head tube, as I hated the extra wire wrapped around the bars.
I'll probably fit an AXS derailleur at some point, which would then allow me to move the wire from the EW-EN100 to motor so it goes down the same hole as the rear brake cable (where the derailleur cable currently is).

WP_20210425_18_23_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20210425_18_23_29_Pro.jpg

WP_20210425_18_25_19_Pro.jpg

ANHUVA

Apr 5, 2021
Oslo, Norway
I've moved the EW-EN100 down near the head tube, as I hated the extra wire wrapped around the bars.
I'll probably fit an AXS derailleur at some point, which would then allow me to move the wire from the EW-EN100 to motor so it goes down the same hole as the rear brake cable (where the derailleur cable currently is).

Replaced mode switch with type R for right side, because then I could route the cables together for an even cleaner look
C602CE1F-323D-4147-A70C-362402FCE589.jpeg

john.rot

Jan 18, 2019
Bristol
good thread! Expensive, but good for excellent ideas.
My Orbea M10 will arrive soon (promised in June by MTBMonster), and I plan to get a few things but I also have a few questions for you modders:

Tyres: what’s wrong with the current set? Why is everybody swapping the front to rear and getting Assegai or DHF? Is there a review that grade the original set poorly?

Brakes - I’m at a point where I’m getting better, starting to pick up serious speed downhill, do I need 200mm rotors? Would it be a straight swap or do I need other bits?

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
My Orbea M10 will arrive soon (promised in June by MTBMonster), and I plan to get a few things but I also have a few questions for you modders:

Tyres: what’s wrong with the current set? Why is everybody swapping the front to rear and getting Assegai or DHF? Is there a review that grade the original set poorly?

Brakes - I’m at a point where I’m getting better, starting to pick up serious speed downhill, do I need 200mm rotors? Would it be a straight swap or do I need other bits?
The rear rekon doesn’t have any real grip unless you’re just mashing gravel trails, and the extra weight of the bike means you do end up carrying more speed ( as well as the fact that the bike is so damned fast) into turns so the brake upgrade helps, you’ll probably need a different adapter depending on what fork you have.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
My Orbea M10 will arrive soon (promised in June by MTBMonster),
I dropped by yesterday to confirm dates of my order (July for M10 L Blue). Everything seems to be on track, I should get confirmation on 24 June. Similar with Extender...

Schnipps

May 12, 2021
Newcastle
Would someone be so kind as to link me to a 203mm front rotor and spacer mount please in uk? I want to change front rotor but not 100% on what I need. This is for the M20, not to fussed about rear as I don’t want to fiddle with magnet. Something in the cheaper end nothing crazy expensive.

also how do you remove the rotor as there are no screws, does it go into the actual wheel spindle?

Andyzim

Apr 21, 2021
Uk
Would someone be so kind as to link me to a 203mm front rotor and spacer mount please in uk? I want to change front rotor but not 100% on what I need. This is for the M20, not to fussed about rear as I don’t want to fiddle with magnet. Something in the cheaper end nothing crazy expensive.

also how do you remove the rotor as there are no screws, does it go into the actual wheel spindle?

I used a 203mm Shimano SLX SM-RT64 M665 Centre-Lock Disc Rotor

It was about £25 but the place I bought it from is now out of stock. This seemed the same as the 180 which was on there.
To remove and refit you need a shimano bb tool, I think it was one for hollowtech II.

Then for the fox 34 fork you will need a front post to post 203 adapter

I also had to buy two M6 x 18 Black 12.9 Grade High
Tensile Hex Socket Cap Screws to mount the caliper to the bracket.

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA
Sorry, guys you are right.. my M20 is Centerlock.. M10 is 6 bolt.. I was thinking of something else..

I Do Blues

Jun 10, 2021
North Vancouver, BC
I have the M-LTD (size medium). It was the only one I could find in stock anywhere. I would have gone with the M-Team if I had the choice. Mine came with the Fox 34 (140 mm). I'm going to upgrade the air shaft to make it a 150 mm. I'm only 135 lbs, so the Fox 34 does the trick.

I switched out the bar to a Oneup Carbon with a 35 mm rise (vs the 20 mm rise Race Face that it came with). I like the extra compliance of the Oneup bar too. I added the Revgrips Pro RG5 grips onto it. I love them!

I also switched the tires. The Rekons that came with it didn't have enough grip for the trails here on the Shore. I put on a DFH 2.5 on the front and a DHR II 2.4 on the rear (both EXO+). Those made a big difference.

Next on my list is to get a 180 mm Oneup dropper. Mine came with a 150 mm dropper which is too short (even with me being only 5'7"). On the steeper descents my seat is getting in the way. I know Orbea are doing everything to save weight on the M-LTD, but the 150 mm dropper is just too short for size medium+.

I'm going to start posting a weekly video looking at the trails on the North Shore. Here's my first one on the Rise:
MTB Trail Review: North Shore: Lower Digger - YouTube

One word of caution (probably already discussed somewhere in this forum): The e*Thirteen carbon crank that comes with the Rise has a known issue with the spindle cap screw coming loose. Mine fell off on a descent on about week 3 and my entire crank fell off 10 m into the following climb. e*Thirteen ended up sending me a couple replacements along with some blue Loctite. Even with the Loctite, I need to tighten that spindle screw before every ride. I'm going to get some stronger red Loctite for it--hopefully that will help. If you have those cranks, I suggest getting some red Loctite onto those screws asap.

Andyzim

Apr 21, 2021
Uk
I have the M-LTD (size medium). It was the only one I could find in stock anywhere. I would have gone with the M-Team if I had the choice. Mine came with the Fox 34 (140 mm). I'm going to upgrade the air shaft to make it a 150 mm. I'm only 135 lbs, so the Fox 34 does the trick.

I switched out the bar to a Oneup Carbon with a 35 mm rise (vs the 20 mm rise Race Face that it came with). I like the extra compliance of the Oneup bar too. I added the Revgrips Pro RG5 grips onto it. I love them!

I also switched the tires. The Rekons that came with it didn't have enough grip for the trails here on the Shore. I put on a DFH 2.5 on the front and a DHR II 2.4 on the rear (both EXO+). Those made a big difference.

Next on my list is to get a 180 mm Oneup dropper. Mine came with a 150 mm dropper which is too short (even with me being only 5'7"). On the steeper descents my seat is getting in the way. I know Orbea are doing everything to save weight on the M-LTD, but the 150 mm dropper is just too short for size medium+.

I'm going to start posting a weekly video looking at the trails on the North Shore. Here's my first one on the Rise:
MTB Trail Review: North Shore: Lower Digger - YouTube

One word of caution (probably already discussed somewhere in this forum): The e*Thirteen carbon crank that comes with the Rise has a known issue with the spindle cap screw coming loose. Mine fell off on a descent on about week 3 and my entire crank fell off 10 m into the following climb. e*Thirteen ended up sending me a couple replacements along with some blue Loctite. Even with the Loctite, I need to tighten that spindle screw before every ride. I'm going to get some stronger red Loctite for it--hopefully that will help. If you have those cranks, I suggest getting some red Loctite onto those screws asap.

This is really interesting, I'm 5'8 on a medium and I have to put the 150mm dropper as low as possible into the seat tube.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
After patiently waiting my M10 L arrived last week.
Changes are 41.25 Pounds (Feedback) scale

Oneup bars 35mm rise
ESI Extra chunky grips
Enve 50mm stem
Ergon SM Pro saddle, Have SQLab I may install
Oneup alloy pedals
XTR Cassette
XTR chain
NOX Farlow, I9 Hydra, C-Xray, brass nipples 1740g
Fox Kabolt axle
Ice tech 203 front, 180 rear- MTX Red label brake pads rear only
Magic Mary Front, DHR2 rear 2.3
Oneup dropper 180mm
Fox 36/38 Mudguard

988CE6CF-8AAA-44E7-8BED-DD5BF6AF7647.jpeg

F71F2EB4-E958-4E91-95C0-19A8148D480F.jpeg

56FFE5BA-EF9F-4F5C-B3CC-604228592215.jpeg

Last edited:

ANHUVA

Apr 5, 2021
Oslo, Norway
«All RISE»

I thought the M20 was a great starting point for a real treat. Had ORBEA sold the frame set, I would probably have gone for it. What I have not replaced is The fork, damper, steering bearing and crank.
My theme was to keep the weight down, and get an even cleaner cockpit.

Handlebar: ENVE M6 31,8 780
Stem: ENVE Composites 55mm
Grips: Lizard Skins Charger Evo
Brakes: Magura MT5 Fabio Wibmer, with SRAM Centerline 180mm and GALFER E-Bike Pads
Shifters: SRAM XO1 AXS, with Rocker Paddle
Derailleur: SRAM X01 Eagle AXS
Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
Cassette/Rear Cog: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
Pedals: TIME ATAC XC12 titan carbon
Wheels: Roval Traverse Carbon
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Addix Soft 29" Skinwall
Saddle: WTB Silverado Carbon
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb AXS 170mm
Seatpost clamp: Other BikeYoke Squeezy
Garmin mount: SRAM over The stem in Center
Bottle cage: King Cage titanium

Additional info: Removed the chain guide, and added Spurcycle Compact Bell, FOX Kabolt and Orbea lite axel rear and some titanium hardware :)

Weight: 17,88

8A26D85B-5563-4562-A335-BF35DC71E2AD.jpeg 7AC52896-9059-4D6D-9EB9-C1CF268EA93E.jpeg 49112D88-5C8D-47AE-8A86-2E354502E481.jpeg 1436E957-976C-4F32-9651-BC47A73D896C.jpeg 3D5EEB38-E37E-491A-9691-AAB76D605817.jpeg F6AA876A-7138-4B59-88E7-68EA8BE2C9D5.jpeg
0B5E0FF9-4681-443C-A1D1-1B9CA6665B15.jpeg

Last edited:

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
«All RISE»

I thought the M20 was a great starting point for a real treat. Had ORBEA sold the frame set, I would probably have gone for it. What I have not replaced is The fork, damper, steering bearing and crank.
My theme was to keep the weight down, and get an even cleaner cockpit.

Handlebar: ENVE M6 31,8 780
Stem: ENVE Composites 55mm
Grips: Lizard Skins Charger Evo
Brakes: Magura MT5 Fabio Wibmer, with SRAM Centerline 180mm and GALFER E-Bike Pads
Shifters: SRAM XO1 AXS, with Rocker Paddle
Derailleur: SRAM X01 Eagle AXS
Chain: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
Cassette/Rear Cog: SRAM XX1 Eagle Gold
Pedals: TIME ATAC XC12 titan carbon
Wheels: Roval Traverse Carbon
Tires: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Addix Soft 29" Skinwall
Saddle: WTB Silverado Carbon
Seatpost: RockShox Reverb AXS 170mm
Seatpost clamp: Other BikeYoke Squeezy
Garmin mount: SRAM over The stem in Center
Bottle cage: King Cage titanium

Additional info: Removed the chain guide, and added Spurcycle Compact Bell, FOX Kabolt and Orbea lite axel rear and some titanium hardware :)

Weight: 17,88
View attachment 66186 View attachment 66176 View attachment 66177 View attachment 66178 View attachment 66179 View attachment 66180 View attachment 66181 View attachment 66182 View attachment 66183 View attachment 66184 View attachment 66185 View attachment 66186
What size and do you know the chain links? I eventually plan on installing the AXS that’s waiting on my shelf and would prefer installing without having to measure with the bike compressed. My L M10 came with 118 links on the Shimano drivetrain. The gold looks ??.

ANHUVA

Apr 5, 2021
Oslo, Norway
What size and do you know the chain links? I eventually plan on installing the AXS that’s waiting on my shelf and would prefer installing without having to measure with the bike compressed. My L M10 came with 118 links on the Shimano drivetrain. The gold looks ??.

Size L and 118 links

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Got my M20 last week had to order a 6bolt rotor magnet as the wheels on M20 were centrelock & my wheels 6bolt
Swapped my carbon wheels over
Manitou Mezzer Pro fork
MT5 Fabio ltd edition brakes with loic levers
Burgtec stem & pedals, Joystick carbon bars
Sram cassette, XX1 derailleur & XTR shifter had on my Ripley, all parts off Ripley apart from fork

faberle

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2021
France Haute Savoie
Here are my mods to date (base M10) :
- SRAM AXS XX1 10-52 transmission (cassette+derailleur+shifter+chain)
- Fox Transfer factory 175mm dropper (model 2021)
- Wolftooth dropper lever
- Galfer 203 front rotor
- Beast component Riser Bar 35 [2.0]
- Spank split stem 48mm / 31.8mm
- Deity Lockjaw grips
- Maxxis Minion DHR 2.5 rear tire
- Shimano XTR M9120 clip pedals
- Specialized Henge saddle
- Orbea Range extender (not used yet)
- Oneup EDC lite tool
- Invisiframe (gloss front, mat back)

Last edited:

E&NonEinCO

Aug 4, 2021
Colorado
M20 cost effective, light build upgrades (I'm a 155lb cross-country style rider):
- XT Brakeset $250 (discounted)
- Carbon Wheelset $1K (BTLOS - great value, high quality wheels, I've used their wheels on other bikes)
- Carbon Bars $45
- ESI grips $20
$8,315 including taxes and shipping

Carbon cranks and the XT or XTR cassette are only marginally lighter than the stock setup but much more expensive - thus, no go.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles