Rise main pivot bearings

Gardcol

Dec 30, 2020
Aberdeen
I have done about 1,100km and 35,128m ascent on my M10, all very rough enduro riding and through some very nasty winter conditions in Scotland with snow and lots of mud. Last week I noticed the rear end had some lateral movement in it. Took it to my dealer and they changed out the main pivot bearings which were completely wrecked and totally rusted. This has resolved the issue. He told me it was a real pain to change them out as the rear brake/speed sensor cables run right past the main pivot access area. He had to pull both cables to access the bearings which is not ideal and was worried about damaging the speed sensor cable as its pretty thin. He has changed bearings on a few Occams which have an identical lay out but without the cables in the way and they are easy. The LBS were fantastic and only charged £14 for the bearings but are not looking forward to this if its a 6 monthly thing!
1: Has anyone else had to change bearings?
2: Anyone got a better way of doing it?

Capture.PNG

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I have done about 1,100km and 35,128m ascent on my M10, all very rough enduro riding and through some very nasty winter conditions in Scotland with snow and lots of mud. Last week I noticed the rear end had some lateral movement in it. Took it to my dealer and they changed out the main pivot bearings which were completely wrecked and totally rusted. This has resolved the issue. He told me it was a real pain to change them out as the rear brake/speed sensor cables run right past the main pivot access area. He had to pull both cables to access the bearings which is not ideal and was worried about damaging the speed sensor cable as its pretty thin. He has changed bearings on a few Occams which have an identical lay out but without the cables in the way and they are easy. The LBS were fantastic and only charged £14 for the bearings but are not looking forward to this if its a 6 monthly thing!
1: Has anyone else had to change bearings?
2: Anyone got a better way of doing it?

View attachment 63906
I haven't but I'm interested in this after looking at mine and thinking that it looks a bit of a pain to do with that cable running past the bolt. Last few bikes I've owned are Santa Cruz which are an absolute doddle to work on when swapping teh bearings. I did feel a bit of play in mine last week which seemed to be around the upper link. I nipped it up with that purple tool you get with the bike and that cured it.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Bump.

Seems to be a dearth of info on how to do Rise bearing replacements and the appropriate tools. Mine (and K's) definitely need doing (but they've done two summers and a winter)

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
Bump.

Seems to be a dearth of info on how to do Rise bearing replacements and the appropriate tools. Mine (and K's) definitely need doing (but they've done two summers and a winter)
b33k34 have you read Rod B's excellent "PART # 1" and "PART # 2" threads in this forum about the upper and lower linkages? There is a ton of information in there about methodology and tools.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
yes, but it hadn't covered tools. I've bought the ones from BearingPro (which came to less than £100 rather than the £250 or so it was going to cost for RRP

MikeL_mtb

Feb 15, 2022
New York
I'm about to do this, but have only gotten to the dissemble step. I loosen the screw holding the brake hose in place on the head tube and pushed it into the frame a bit, I could then pull the hose cover out of the chainstay and move it out of the way to get the axle out. I also used a rope to support the chainstay up and out of the way since I had removed the upper linkage already. 1400miles in and I need lower pivot and half of the upper pivot bearings, they are not wrecked, but they are not smooth, and since I hurt myself, I got some time to kill :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles