Broken main pivot axle. (Rise)

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
This explains why the rear of my bike suddenly felt like it was no longer attached to the front yesterday (after a fairly large crack sound on a landing)

Anyone else had a main pivot axle break?

IMG_2199.jpeg
IMG_2200.jpeg

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Mine failed at the threads on my Occam (same design) some years ago. Not such a clean snap in my case, but ended up using warranty for the parts and chainstay.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Mine failed at the threads on my Occam (same design) some years ago. Not such a clean snap in my case, but ended up using warranty for the parts and chainstay.
Ah - so why was yours warranty (how old was the bike?)
and why did you need a new chain stay? I've only taken the threaded bit out (from the non-drive side) so far. was assuming (well praying) that nothing else would need replacing

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Ah - so why was yours warranty (how old was the bike?)
and why did you need a new chain stay? I've only taken the threaded bit out (from the non-drive side) so far. was assuming (well praying) that nothing else would need replacing
Two full seasons of riding it (hard). The threads that capture it in my chainstay were compromised. If yours are in good shape and can properly torque down with a new axle, you should be all good.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Two full seasons of riding it (hard). The threads that capture it in my chainstay were compromised. If yours are in good shape and can properly torque down with a new axle, you should be all good.
Still interesting that they warrantied it after 2 years (given it's a listed spare part for sale). Mine is coming up to 3 years old so didn't even think about trying that (although if it had damaged the frame I''d probably be feeling very differently about it)

I just wish they'd get their act together shipping out spare parts. I'm in UK and it ships from Spain so I can accept it's not next day, but both of my last orders they took far too long to actually post the stuff out.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Still interesting that they warrantied it after 2 years (given it's a listed spare part for sale). Mine is coming up to 3 years old so didn't even think about trying that (although if it had damaged the frame I''d probably be feeling very differently about it)
I did purchase a spare pivot axle myself to try fixing before I engaged warranty. Bummer about the parts lead time.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I take it back - Orbea have sorted out their spares service. Ordered last Sunday, arrived with me in the UK today (Thursday) so I could get the bike ready to ride for the weekend (though the weather is looking glum)

probably helps to order only small parts that can go in a cardboard envelope rather than a box.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a hub axle fail on my first ride out on a Whyte T130c RS. I took the rear wheel off and the cassette fell onto the floor! :eek:
Replaced under warranty with zero fuss. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles