Rise + heavier rider = battery range query

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
I'm 6'4 and 90-95kg riding weight depending what I take.
My biggest concern with the Rise is my size and weight, Would I wipe the battery out. I 've noticed alot of folks are putting it in profile 2 - think this offers more power than profile 1 - when they are heavier. This then to me, would shorten battery life and then possibly I'd need an extender which then seems to push me towards full fat. Since I could potentially need the extender connected alot of the time.
Anyone have an thoughts on this?

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I'm 6'2 and 95-100kg kitted up. Don't have any issue with the range. I have got an extender as I ride with 2 or 3 mates who all ride full fat so need the extra when I'm doing big rides with them. Its nice to have the option of not using the extender when all I wants a quick blast as well. Best of both worlds imo.

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
I'm 6'2 and 95-100kg kitted up. Don't have any issue with the range. I have got an extender as I ride with 2 or 3 mates who all ride full fat so need the extra when I'm doing big rides with them. Its nice to have the option of not using the extender when all I wants a quick blast as well. Best of both worlds imo.
Sounds promising that does, thanks for the reply

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
im about 90-95 when kitted. I can go about 80-100 km in eco on flat stuff. ~50km when riding in eco/trail on proper trails. With extender you can add about 70% I think.

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
So at my size and weight the option of a Rise is still viable.
An extender. although possibly not required, would be a smart investment for longer days.
Thanks for the replies

Jcolborn48

Apr 13, 2020
California
I'm 6'3, 230lbs (105 kg), and haven't run out of battery yet. I did 14 miles with almost 4000 feet of climbing and finished the ride with somewhere around 10-15% battery left. Mind you I was in Level 1 and went back and forth between Eco and Trail until the end when I started using some boost. I think it comes down to how you ride the bike. If you spend the majority of your time in Boost, you'll need a range extender or just go with a FF ebike, if your OK spending time in Trail and Eco on longer rides, the Rise should be plenty for you.

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
So at my size and weight the option of a Rise is still viable.
An extender. although possibly not required, would be a smart investment for longer days.
Thanks for the replies

What are your expectations? As with all Ebikes range varies massively depending on a lot of factors

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
What are your expectations? As with all Ebikes range varies massively depending on a lot of factors
20 to 30km and max 1500m climbing I like to ride a lot in Peaks or Hammsterly or if I can be bothered Cannock.
Where I live a 40 km loop will be easy as it’s flattish so not worried about battery range

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
20 to 30km and max 1500m climbing I like to ride a lot in Peaks or Hammsterly or if I can be bothered Cannock.
Where I live a 40 km loop will be easy as it’s flattish so not worried about battery range
You shouldnt be far off those figures. I ride the Peak a lot myself. Without an extender I'd probably get around 20 mile and 3500ft of ascent. But again depends on conditions and what sort of climbs you go up. Obviously a steep techy climb will hammer the battery a lot more than a smoothish steady spin up.

Mar

Apr 10, 2021
Croatia
I was looking at Rise myself since I'm quite fit but would want to take the edge off climbs and get more DH runs that you simply can't do with regular bike.

However, power is power and battery capacity is a limiting factor however you look at it.

Sure, Rise in low power eco mode will help you out but it will still die before FF bike.

Orbea thinks they made a clever bike with rebadged motor and small battery but in the end it's just that.

In contrast, I went for Turbo Levo carbon which weighs only 1kg more than Rise all other things being equal and that 1kg more gives you almost 50% higher capacity (360 vs. 500wh), or 1.7kg more for double the capacity (360 vs 700wh).

Turbo Levo carbon frame is pretty light too, it weighs 2.8kg for XL size with rear axle, I doubt Rise is much lighter.

The way Orbea achieved low weigh was by using lighter, weaker parts such as small rotors, light duty wheels and tires and 34mm fork.

I can't see the point in Rise when you can build similarly equipped Levo that's only 1kg heavier and 50% more powerful with 50-100% more range and you don't have to spend silly money and lose bottle cage for extra range provided by battery range extender.

You and the bike weigh 110-115kg, does 1kg more really matter (and that's only when not using battery extender in which case it's actually heavier).

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
2022 S-works Levo is 22kg! A lot more than the Rise, the Older Levos also have shite geometry 😂 I am 92/94kg kitted up & get good range from my Rise 42km in Surrey Hills with mates & plenty battery left

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
My Rise has a 36 on it. Also range isn't the be all and end all. I bought a Rise due to the lighter weight and less power. I'm not quite ready for a full fat just yet but happy for a little assist on the climbs. Bikes nice and nimble. Mate has full fat Levo and I know he's not buzzing with it when it comes to the steep stuff. And no way does a turbo levo weigh 1kg more than a Rise 🤣

Last edited:

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
Well, I got to see and sit on a Rise yesterday.
Yes very comparable to my sentinel on weight.
However it's tiny compared to my XL Sentinel. Even on paper that have similar geo numbers.
My knees were nearly touching handle bar.
So I've scrubbed it of my list.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Well, I got to see and sit on a Rise yesterday.
Yes very comparable to my sentinel on weight.
However it's tiny compared to my XL Sentinel. Even on paper that have similar geo numbers.
My knees were nearly touching handle bar.
So I've scrubbed it of my list.

That sizing sounds weird - I'm 6' 4" too on an XL Rise and my knees are nowhere near the bars.

Wilford Matt

Nov 10, 2021
Nottingham
I know it had a 40mm stem on, think standard is 55mm?
My Sentinel has a 40mm stem.
I have long legs which won't help and long thigh bone. Might be my body proportion is wrong for it.

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
I'm heavier than you and had similar worries. My longest ride so far is 30 miles and 3600 ft of climbing. During first half of the ride I used trail mode and boost for the second half as I was feeling a bit clapped out (I'm old) in profile 2. I had about 15% battery remaining at the end of the ride. I'm getting a bit more range with the Rise than I did with my 2017 Powerfly which had a 500Wh battery.
As for torque, 60 Nm is easily enough. The limiting factors are traction and whether I can keep the front wheel on the ground. Anything that I could get up on the Powerfly, can also be climbed on the Rise.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
A few things help getting good range.
- Loose as much weight as possible.
- Be in good shape
- Avoid max assist mode
- Use the gears like any bike
- On some/most Ebikes avoid the auto assist.
- Some tires roll better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles