Replacing the chain Jam2

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Need to replace the chain. Looked up the specs and its a Shimano CN-HG601 11 speed.
Got one and its 116 links. As the fast links are not reusable I thought id count the links on the old one before removing and there are 120. I think its the original chain and its definitely Shimano.
Has it got the wrong chain on already so I could fit the new one and it works?
Or is there a spec sheet I haven't found that states the correct number of links?
Its a Jam2 9.6+ 2019 Shimano powered with 378 size battery.

If anyone could count the links on theirs would be appreciated!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Jam2 9.6 size Large had 120 links.

But if there is doubt about the chain length, you need to go back to first principles.
Let Google/YouTube be your friend.

There are at least half a dozen different ways of setting the chain length. Here is my favourite.
Put the mech into the largest gear position and thread the chain over that gear, through the mech and over the front ring. Disengage the clutch for this job as it makes it a bit easier. Tighten the chain until the lower mech arm is forward at 45 degrees.

That works for a hardtail, but you need one extra test for your full susser.

Depending upon the suspension design, many full sussers extend the rear wheel backwards as the suspension compresses, which if your chain is already as tight as it will go may damage your bike, maybe even rip off the mech! Either get a heavy friend to compress the back of the bike while you observe the effect on the chain (both ends still held in your hands). If you don't have a heavy friend and you have an air shock, then let the air out and repeat. Tricky on your own, so get help. Once you have the correct length, count the links and write it down for next time!

If you have any links left over, don't throw them away! Instead, keep them for the time when you damage the chain and can then replace the damaged links with your spares. Saves having to buy a completely new chain, which these days you might not be able to get hold of quickly.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Thanks Steve, been on Youtube and as confused as a very confused thing! So many videos with different methods!!

I think my original doubts are that the Shimano chain specked is shorter than what's on there. As yours was 120 links I can take it that is the correct length so I need to look for an equivalent length Shimano 11 speed chain I guess.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks Steve, been on Youtube and as confused as a very confused thing! So many videos with different methods!!

I think my original doubts are that the Shimano chain specked is shorter than what's on there. As yours was 120 links I can take it that is the correct length so I need to look for an equivalent length Shimano 11 speed chain I guess.
Yep, I had to buy a 126-link chain and cut off 6 links.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles