Levo Gen 3 Replacing free hub and inner bearings, on a stock 2023 Levo - thoughts or tell me what parts to buy?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Hi folks - I am not quite a newbie, but I only recently decided that after the local bike shops all let me down, I would do all the tough bits myself. My cassette is wobbling all over the place, the free hub wiggle about 5-6 mm and is practically falling off. What parts do I need and what should I google to do the repair myself? Any helpful comments really appreciated - cheers!

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Is the cassette nut tight? you need a cassette tool to check it. 40nm torque I think. If not you need to take the cassette off, pop the freehub off, and see whats worn or broken.

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Is the cassette nut tight? you need a cassette tool to check it. 40nm torque I think. If not you need to take the cassette off, pop the freehub off, and see whats worn or broken.
Cheers - I got it all off and looked inside, looks totally knackered and a ball bering fell out so I'll replace the whole lot if I can. DO you happen to know what the part is by any chance?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
depends on the hub you have. I am using hope, a new freehub body + bearings is almost the same price as just the bearings!

I'd google roval / specialized freehub body and see what you find. The manual might also have part numbers.

Check your wheel bearings too.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Without knowing the design of your hub or freehub all I can do to help is give generic advice on overhauling both.

Freehub: Usually has 2 sealed bearings often with a sleeve between them. In general terms you drift them out and replace with a bearing press. You need a fairly long thin bearing punch ( usually sold in sets of 5 or 6) and lever the dividing sleeve to one side in order to be a ble to engage the outer ring of the cartridge bearing and gently tap it out.......small taps t various points a round the bearing). The bearings will have the reference stencilled on them e.g. 6902 RS or similar. If it is a DT Swiss XD type freehub, refer to the DT Swiss website which has several "How To" videos. The bearings will of course then be DT Swiss and the website will tell you which ones.
Rear Hub: Same principles apply. Usually a bearing at each end which you drift out and press back in. There may be one further step if it a DT Swiss 350 hub or similar since the drive side bearing sits behind the ratchet engagement ring and that has to be removed ( unscrewed) first. There is a specific tool to fit that ring. Again, you read the reference number on the existing bearings and source new ones from a bearing supplier ( several online).

You need to buy a bearing press set with drifts that match the bearings. For example RRP do a bearing press kit plus a selection of sets of presses to match your bearings. You can get away with just buying the press sets and making your own press tool using threaded bar a few nuts and washers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles