0-d901f8bf-600-BROSE-S-MAG-DRIVE-UNIT-(VERTICAL).jpg
Brose vs Specialized.png

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
DIY @Youtube - Turn off the sound ?

Link Youtube
I've been an automotive DIYer for decades (current project: My Noble M400), and now I'm tinkering with my bike. But the need to get the belt tension set screw (grub screw) torque spec right has me wondering about this task. Getting it wrong due to an inaccurate torque driver (or no torque driver!) might lead to significantly shorter belt life. I would want either a fixed 0.2 Nm driver or an adjustable driver that puts 0.2 Nm in the middle of the adjustment range. Many torque driver spec sheets state that the torque accuracy spec does not apply near the ends of the adjustment range.

You'll also want to ensure that the threads are surgically clean. I'd want to run a thread chaser (not sure about the UK translation!) through the housing threads. 0.2 Nm is tiny, and any grit in the threads will result in an inaccurate setting.

Maybe some of you have experience with running the "wrong" (or unknown) belt tensioner torque value and can say this is not worth worrying about. That would be excellent news! I am assuming Brose ran belt life tests at different torque values to determine that 0.2 Nm was the optimum value.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles