Replaced 2021 M10 With 2023 MTeam; My First Impressions

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
I own a 2021 M10 that has been great and still works well. I've had it for 2 years and ridden an average of 1-2x/week so have good familiarity with it. For a variety of reasons, I just bought a 2023 MTeam and I'll keep both. Not sure if it benefits anyone but here is how they compare after my first ride on the 2023:

• EP800 was always plenty quiet for me. The EP801 seems WAY quieter. I've never ridden a bike with the HQ50 motor but the EP801 sounds like I always pictured in my head the HQ50 motor would sound like after hearing reviewers say it was almost silent. This was the biggest surprise between the two. I was perpetually amazed the entire ride.
  • Motor seems a bit stronger in Turbo. Maybe higher wattage? This is subjective but it felt stronger.
  • Despite ordering the new one with the 540 WH battery, it is a little over a pound lighter completely kitted out. Some of that is that the new frame is lighter and some may be the carbon wheels. I also have a slimmer/lighter seat on the new one. Regardless of the cause, I was surprised to be able to have the bike still be net lighter despite the larger battery. I'm not sure what all contributed to this.
  • Gear changing is with buttons and not traditional levers. Took a minute to get used to but works great and I now prefer it.
  • I first thought something was loose and banging around in the back because I could hear and feel some clanking occasionally while coasting. Then realized that was the autoshift anticipating which gear I needed to be in so, yes, I'm an idiot. :) Overall, it was choosing an easier gear than I would have wanted and I need to play with those settings.
  • I got that polychromatic rainbow paint job that is one of the non-custom options and looks WAY nicer in real life. It's stunning. Not a problem for me but it does create more contrast with the motor than my dark blue M10 so this color is a little less stealthy if that's important to you.
  • Downtube seems a smidge fatter. Maybe that's just a visual difference between the two colors.
  • The buttons for changing power modes are lifted higher off the bar since they sit on top of that box that contains all the electronics. It's okay but I prefer the ergonomically curved buttons that are closer to the bar in the 2021 mode change buttons. It's easy to adapt and I'm sure I'll adapt even more but it's noticeable.
  • Dropper lever is tucked further under the grip and is a little harder to reach. I think it can be adjusted but haven't played with it yet. I realize that this is likely an adjustment thing.
  • Suspension seems similar between the two. I need to dial in the new one more but they seem the same beyond this one being newer and needs to break in a touch.
  • Tried to play with the freeshift feature where it will automatically change gears while coasting without turning the cranks. This wasn't working. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Probably a setting thing.
  • Overall, the weight balance is different and I like it. The frame feels lighter with a heavier motor at the bottom for a lower center of gravity. It's hard to describe but it "rode lighter." Could have been the carbon vs alloy wheels since that's rotational weight. I've got 2.6" tires on the older one and 2.5" on the newer which may have contributed to this (and the weight difference). I'm not experienced enough to parcel this out but it was surprisingly noticeable.
  • I've only been mountain biking for a few years and don't have the vocabulary to explain this well but the whole thing was much stiffer side-to-side. This was also really noticeable like the quieter motor. It was not something I was anticipating and was a big surprise. I've read in the reviews that the front triangle is stiffer and the new linkage is stiffer and the carbon wheels have less sideways twisting. I don't know what combination of these caused it but the whole bike and steering felt much more precise, like a surgical scalpel instead of a butcher's cleaver. I liked it.
Naturally, the 2023 is brand-new so everything is tight and quiet and perfect. I tried not to let any of that influence the points above but who knows. I still love my 2021 and the new one is even better. I admittedly haven't ridden many of the competitors but, in my opinion, the Rise is still objectively the best mid-powered EMTB on the market. Hope this helps someone. Happy riding!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Nice comparison.....I have allmost the same bikes, and like both.
But I agree....the 2023 feels better to me...and the balance is better (lifts the front more easily).

Freeshift works well (it's hard to see when riding, but it works in the stand)
I had my motor tweaked by emax (STunlocker dosent work on 801) - very happy with the result.

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
What did you change with emax? Did you allow the full 85 NM? Change the max speed? I'm in the US so the motor doesn't cut off until 20 MPH which is fine for me. If I were in the UK or somewhere else where the motor cutoff at 25 KPH, I'd likely tweak the settings to get the higher max speed. I'm fine with the 60 NM, though.

It sounds like you've had yours longer. Have you noticed anything different from what I've posted above given your greater familiarity with the 2023 model?

I always have to ride a bike for awhile to fine tune it and can't wait to get it completely dialed in for my personal settings. What a great bike!!

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
With emax we have changed (I am in EU):
- speed limit raised to 32 kmh (actually lowered it to 30 kmh recently).
- lifted max torque to 85Nm (but still lowered to 56 Nm in the bike settings).
- max watt lifted to 600 watt (but lowered to 400 watt in the bike settings).
- changed wheel from 2300 to 2160 (so the speed/distance is precise).

My 2023 comes with non-Di2 components, so I had to replace some stuff.
What a nigthmare going through the heatset with the cables....took me some time.
It looks nice though...

I replaced the bar with a OneUp with integrated ports - I really like the OneUp bar.
On both bikes I use 5DEV cranks (length 155) - really made the bike much more usefull.

Your observations is quite good.
I think the 801 motor is more silent (the old motor did not bother me, but I could hear it when coasting).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles