Remove speed restrictions for free

True romance

Apr 26, 2020
UK
Tried the controller hack above but nothing, still stuck at 15mph. Any ideas if this has been fixed/removed with a firmware update?

Thanks,
TR.

MattK

Feb 10, 2020
Australia
Re-Read the Manual ... it says the Low speed mode drops it to 20kph ... So what ever Speed is your Max 25k 32k whatever , the Code you put in , Drops it to 20KPH ...

to me it’s more like it’s a Code to put in for Rental Bikes .. to limit Abuse or some Lame Safety.

On a Side Note , setting my 2020 Trance 3 to the Lower Limit 20kph , actually made the Speed / Power cut out very erratically, almost Pulsing at 20kph .

swapping back to my High Limit of 25kph ... the motor Power just stopped at 25kph

was hard to pick which mode I was in , until I noticed the Pulsing of the CutOut

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
6-SENSOR TECHNOLOGY

From MY20, Giant uses 6-sensor technology on the new Life, Sport and Pro motors.

1. PEDALING TORQUE SENSOR
The torque sensor is mounted on the BB axle. It measures the force that the rider is applying on the pedals.

2. PEDALING CADENCE SENSOR
The cadence sensor is mounted on the BB axle. It measures the rotation speed of the axle.

3. SLOPE SENSOR
The slope sensor is mounted on the circuit board. It measures the bicycle’s current angle as opposed to horizontal.

4. ACCELERATION SENSOR
The acceleration sensor (accelerometer) is mounted on the circuit board. It detects whether the bicycle is accelerating or decelerating.

5. MOTOR ROTATION SENSOR
The motor rotation sensor is integrated into the electro motor itself. It meas- ures the rotation speed of the motor.

6. EXTERNAL SPEED SENSOR
The speed sensor is placed on the inside of the rear chainstay, and a magnet is placed on a spoke in the rear wheel. Speed is calculated by the RideCon- trol based on the wheel rotation speed.

6. INTEGRATED SPEED SENSOR
New in MY20 is the integrated speed sensor. This sensor works the same as the external sensor, but is integrated into the left rear dropout. The magnet is mounted on the disc-brake rotor using 2 of the 6 rotor mounting bolts.

Alpina_Bloke

May 13, 2020
Sheffield
Re-Read the Manual ... it says the Low speed mode drops it to 20kph ... So what ever Speed is your Max 25k 32k whatever , the Code you put in , Drops it to 20KPH ...

to me it’s more like it’s a Code to put in for Rental Bikes .. to limit Abuse or some Lame Safety.

On a Side Note , setting my 2020 Trance 3 to the Lower Limit 20kph , actually made the Speed / Power cut out very erratically, almost Pulsing at 20kph .

swapping back to my High Limit of 25kph ... the motor Power just stopped at 25kph

was hard to pick which mode I was in , until I noticed the Pulsing of the CutOut

I concluded the same on my MY19 Trance last night. It was really noticeable that it was pulsing somewhere around 13mph. Bike felt awful but rideable.

I reset it about half way around the ride and it seemed to resume its normal behaviour. The ride was so much better for the change back. I had a play switching between low speed mode on and off and the behaviour was the same each time.

A quick conversion when I got back home gave me 20kmh = 12.4mph. Exactly where the pulsing happened.

I think you may be correct on the rental mode!

Last edited:

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
I want to do this on my 2020 Trance (looks like it has the updated software and sensors). Will there be issues when I do this? There are jumps that I need to hit at a faster speed and it's unnerving having the motor cut out at 20 mph. Thanks.

Fathom

May 1, 2020
Eu
Hello

Something new here? Is possible to remove speed limit without speedbox...and redirecting sensor and magnet.

microfiz

Dec 31, 2020
Alameda CA
This is for the 2020 Giant Trance with the speed sensor magnet bolted on the rear rotor. I moved the sensor and placed it on the left chainstay. Orientation is important for the sensor to pick up the signal (see picture). Mounted the magnet to the tip of my left crank (again, see photos). So far it's working well without errors.

IMG_3881.jpg
IMG_3882.jpg

glovemtb77

Aug 2, 2020
Edit: {5/3/2021 Still working great only thing is I get the red light about 1-2 times per 2 hour ride. It keeps working at a 3 level mode so I can wait till a downhill to simply turn it off quickly back on. Generally it is good then. The other day on a gnarly technical ride it happened 2 times in a row in about 4 minutes. After that it was good the rest of the ride about another hour in the 2 hour ride. Only mistake I have made was when it happened a few days ago, getting off the bike and pushing the magnet very close to the sensor. So of course it started it's lurching thing. Moved it back to OEM spec distance and it was fine again. Again, if you are really technical and like dropping motors, put a volspeed in (don't do it if you don't have a display because it needs some babying and has to be turned on every time you turn on the bike. I have one on my Bosch motor and it has been rock solid (but I also did not have to drop the motor to install it) Volspeed is the best I have found for unlimited top end. Only thing I have found is it occasional forgets the setting and I just got into the practice of re-initialing it every hour or so. IOW, just as easy to deal with the red error light 1 to 2 times max per ride.}
4/23/2021 Still working great fast or super fast. Tested on group training rides and getting way the hell away from cars in dynamic traffic situations where bicyclist are usually the victims when not in the flow (or other things like making it passed that intersection to turn to a safe street before a line of cars descending on me catches up. Too many dynamic traffic situations to describe that a fast ebike helps with. If you look down nose on this and give me laws etc. Don't bother, that just shows me you are an idiot and not worth me trying to help you with your non-neuro-plasticized lil brain.) end edit}
Did the mod on my gravel bike here in U.S. a couple of weeks ago where I do big fast group rides occasionally and there are jumps of 30+ mph (No errors so far no jinx.) Not to mention the fact that my own faster out of the saddle jumps are up to 30+ mph on my acoustic bikes.
Only reason I tried it was because on my Syncdrive sport I would have to drop the motor to do a VolSpeed. I have a great Volspeed in my Bosch motors and it was so easy to do no motor drop required lol. Anyway, I notice the tiny lag but it doesn't bother me cause I have a Bosch and Shim Steps motors so I am used to it lol#2. Also, once the syncdrive gets going it so smooth even with jumps out of the saddle and the smoothest of all 3 motors by far. No problem having too have a fast cadence at all and I am already running of 48t chainring. Now it may be specific tuning since this motor was spec-ed for trekking bike and maybe they expected real low wheel RPM's or something I don't know.;) Anyway, like I said it works fine. Side bar: only problems I have at all with the "trekking" bike they don't expect you to trek very far lol#3. 70~nm motor and only a 400watt 11Ah battery, with no piggyback system compatibility and no spare batteries available.
Edit: USA dealer for Giant found me a 500 watt battery for 600 dollars, shipped ! Another Giant brand named bike shop said they found me one also. For 800 dollars plus shipping (dirty pool I would say.) I will just say it is a Giant Bike Shop in Colorado and leave it at that.
Explore E+ 4 GTS (2020) | Men Trekking bike | Giant Bicycles United States.)
Only thing I would advice, it may take awhile to get the magnet perfect and it may throw error and stall like a horse trying to head back to the barn on a trail ride at dinner time. IOW, maintain maybe just a little closer than the spec it has for the spoke. (I used the oem magnet with a couple of mods and mounted the sensor under the chainstay and had measured the exact distance the 2 were apart when the magnet was on the spoke. I got it pretty much within a mm or so of that exact space. Too close and it will stall, to far away and it will error. YRMV )
Glad I tried it. I had been told by a tech at one of the speed delimiter companies that it might work but most motor makers have long since adjusted for it because it is such an easy mod. I am sure Bosch has because they think they own y-o-u-r bike and your first born if they don't make you get neutered because you are not German. All, YRMV happy bike geeking.

Last edited:

micman

Sep 12, 2023
Uk
Hi, I tried the magnet and crank shaft tuning method on my 2022 Roam E. Worked for a while but now have a Syncdrive Error and bike no longer gets assistance. I have put all magnets back to original placement but the error remains. Anyone know a way to reset the software?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles