Remove speed restrictions for free

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
This is an FYI and I am not saying you should do it.

So I found that the 15.5mph (uk) restriction was a bit of a pain, I was hitting this regularly and even when in mode 1 it makes the bike feel very sluggish when you hit the limit on the trail.
So there is a Guy on YouTube showing you how to remove this limit. So I tried and it works perfectly and can be put back as standard at any point. I have looked and looked again to try and find it and add it to this post, but cant find it.

1, Remove the speed sensor and twist it back under the frame so it lines up with the crank arm, tape in place for a test. I used a old inner tube to rap around it and tape to hold it in place like we use to on our Downhill Bikes.

2, I brought some sticky magnets and put on the crank arm and then slid a crank arm protection boot over to give it a bit of extra protection.

So now the crank arm come around and the magnet will trip the sensor every time it goes by. So the sensor/bike never think it is getting to the rpm to restrict the motor.

I would say I am on version 3 or tweaks to get this better. But you will get the idea if you try it. Because you have not changed anything other than unscrewing the speed sensor you can put it back and any time and really should not void the warranty ( though don't hold me on that one ).

If the speed limit is a problem for you then try this as it made things a lot better for me.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
How long have you had this done to your bike? Does it show any error codes?
This hack has been round for a while, some motors dont like it and show codes/stop working but sounds like the Yamaha is ok.
What year bike is yours?

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
I have had this on my bike for 3 to 4 weeks now, during that time I have ridden may be 8 to 10 times of between 10 to 40 miles each time. I have not had any error lights come on or motor give any lack of power. I have a Trance sx e+0 2019. What I have noticed is it makes it smoother on the trails. I ride most trails in Mode 1 so it is not a major surge of power. On the climes then you never hit the limit and I clime generally in Mode 2.

This post was purely for information only. I wanted to try it and for me it makes the bike better for it, so I will keep it and improve as I go along with the changes. I am afraid I like to tinker and try and make things better. Some times this works and other it does not.

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
9E440CC0-90FA-44A2-BF4E-E235422D8DAD.png

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
That is awsome thanks I've been looking for something like that I didn't want derestricted that's to much but on one trail in particular the 15.5 is just to slow but 20 would be perfect and I'm not really modifying it I'm just changing software ?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I think I may have missed something that was meant to be obvious, but...

The instructions show how to turn the Low Speed Mode - ON. So that would set the motor assist limit to 20kph (15mph) correct?

But how do you turn the Low Speed Mode - OFF, to remove the low speed restriction?
Assume it just alternates between the two ?‍♂️

Mat_Ron

Sep 29, 2018
Jacksonville, Fl
I tried the mod on my 2019 Trance E +2 and found that to get over the limit of 20mph I had to maintain too high a cadence. So either needed to change front chain ring or peddle my ass off. Not worth the couple of mph difference IMO. Now if you are in Europe and limited to 15mph then definetley worth doing. The mod does work without issues though.

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
From what I understand after playing around when I had my giant the number of times you press dictates what setting it goes into. 5 presses turns it off but for example 2 presses may make it a different location/speed.

John208

Oct 1, 2019
Hampshire
Tried my UK fathom today again,It seems to up the speed to about 20MPH seemed jerky to me.Using the magnet swap to crank I used to get mid 20s easy

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
This is an FYI and I am not saying you should do it.

So I found that the 15.5mph (uk) restriction was a bit of a pain, I was hitting this regularly and even when in mode 1 it makes the bike feel very sluggish when you hit the limit on the trail.
So there is a Guy on YouTube showing you how to remove this limit. So I tried and it works perfectly and can be put back as standard at any point. I have looked and looked again to try and find it and add it to this post, but cant find it.

1, Remove the speed sensor and twist it back under the frame so it lines up with the crank arm, tape in place for a test. I used a old inner tube to rap around it and tape to hold it in place like we use to on our Downhill Bikes.

2, I brought some sticky magnets and put on the crank arm and then slid a crank arm protection boot over to give it a bit of extra protection.

So now the crank arm come around and the magnet will trip the sensor every time it goes by. So the sensor/bike never think it is getting to the rpm to restrict the motor.

I would say I am on version 3 or tweaks to get this better. But you will get the idea if you try it. Because you have not changed anything other than unscrewing the speed sensor you can put it back and any time and really should not void the warranty ( though don't hold me on that one ).

If the speed limit is a problem for you then try this as it made things a lot better for me.

hi bud,
There’s an old thread on this. I did the above modification a year ago, I found it introduced a bit of lag. Coast along without turning the cranks do a before and after. The software uses all the sensors so when you’re coasting then begin pedalling it thinks you’re stationary. In the end I bought a badassbox

mike

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
Does anyone know if switching from UK to US mode will void warranty?
Your guess is as good as mine. Assuming the motors sold for US use are the same as those sold for use in countries with the lower speed limit then it would seem logical that the warranty would be good, but if Shimano for some reason did not want to warranty a motor then they could use that as a reason. I would expect that the rules would/should be applied similarly in every case but I don't think the public has access to this info, or to failure rates which would be much more interesting. I'm sure all companies keep that info close to the vest.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles