Reign E+ 2022

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
For those of you who are worrying about the water resistance of the new Reign: don't worry but go out and ride!

Indawoods.jpeg

I had to wash the bike now several times because it soaking wet in the woods and had ZERO issues so far.
To proof the evidence of the statement I did earlier on, I even pointed the hose directly at the controller, the battery compartement and the the top tube - but the electric componenty still work as they should.
For those of you who are thinking in problems rather than in solutions - just have a little faith in the worlds largest bicycle manufacturer.

Last edited:

Tim gosnold

Nov 5, 2021
Fordingbridge
Great thanks. I was wondering if the giant gear had proprietary connections or something but if it’s just connect and drop in it saves on hassle. Got a fox factory dropper that would look and perform better than the stock giant I’m assuming.
15811A7E-8FE8-4E76-898C-E0B839B39C7E.jpeg I don’t know if these colour bolts are common on sram brakes but they are a nice touch.

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
For those of you who are worrying about the water resistance of the new Reign: don't worry but go out and ride!

View attachment 76139

I had to wash the bike now several times because it soaking wet in the woods and had ZERO issues so far.
To proof the evidence of the statement I did earlier on, I even pointed the hose directly at the controller, the battery compartement and the the top tube - but the electric componenty still work as they should.
For those of you who are thinking in problems rather than in solutions - just have a little faith in the worlds largest bicycle manufacturer.
Nice picture. Love the graphic on the downtube

gaiadoSeco

Oct 18, 2021
Portugal
Does anybody have a link to a manual on how to use the controller please as don’t have an up to date manual with the bike. Thanks.

wish you better luck than mine finding that ridecontrol 3 manual, but I did find this page from a spanish store with a small bit of info:

Here's the key section translated:
GIANT RIDECONTROL ERGO 3 CONTROLLER FEATURES:
  • Small and compact control unit
  • compatible only with RideControl GO
  • 3 operation buttons
Engine assist operation = Up / Down

Smart Assist mode operation = press and hold the Up / Down button

Push Assist Operation = Middle Button + Up Button

Tim gosnold

Nov 5, 2021
Fordingbridge
wish you better luck than mine finding that ridecontrol 3 manual, but I did find this page from a spanish store with a small bit of info:

Here's the key section translated:
GIANT RIDECONTROL ERGO 3 CONTROLLER FEATURES:
  • Small and compact control unit
  • compatible only with RideControl GO
  • 3 operation buttons
Engine assist operation = Up / Down

Smart Assist mode operation = press and hold the Up / Down button

Push Assist Operation = Middle Button + Up Button
Nice one thanks for that buddy. I start pressing buttons and lights start flashing 🤣🤣 have no idea what I’m doing with it. 🤦‍♂️

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
So I had the chance to have a good poke around a Reign E +0 this morning and have to say I was very impressed.

Just to be clear I haven't ridden the bike, and really what I was looking at was all the details, and overall build quality, as IMO these days there are some great riding bikes, but let down by the little details that only become obvious during longer term ownership, such as crappy charging covers, battery covers, and cabling.

First off the bike looks great in the flesh (colours definitely don't come across as being as nice as they are), the photos don't really get across the fact that its actually quite a "compact" bike in terms of how the geometry and low standover mean that whilst having some big reach figures and slack head angle it doesn't feel like a monster truck when you are on it. Just playing around on it you could tell it was a bike built to party with plenty of room to move around, and they have clearly though about getting a feeling of sitting in the bike rather than on it. Great to see a fully uninterrupted seatube for running long droppers too.

I was really impressed with the build quality and integration of all the controls, cable routing, etc etc into the bike. The quality of build is right at the top end IMO, and you can tell that all the little details have been though about and powered over. Genuinely one of the best put together and built bikes in terms of how cables are fixed and all the little bits that over long term ownership become a PITA if not done right.

A good example of this would be the charging port cover, which is the best I have seen. Its a solid cap on a sprung loaded pin that you pull out and rotate out the way, not a crappy piece of rubber that comes loose and doest keep the water out as seen on so many bikes. Also the battery cover looks to have a really good seal with the frame, and is very nicely integrated.

The new controls are bang on for what I want to see from a 2022 bike, discreet, easy to use, easy to integrate with the other controls such as brake levers etc to get your controls where you want them, and also very solid to the touch.

One thing I was pleased to see is that the mode switch, which kind of looks integrated into the grips lock on collar in a lot of pics, is actually a design that will work well with any other brand of grip you might change too.

The one I looked at was a Size M, and we weighed it at bang on 25.4kg with tubes but without pedals.

The one thing I really noticed with it geometry wise was that I would usually ride a Large, and think I still would with the Reign, but the M felt spot on fit wise with the saddle dropped, but with it up due to the steep seat tube I felt too close to the bars. did notice with the M that you wouldn't be getting a big water bottle in the cage though.

Anyway haven't ridden it, and obviously long term ownership reviews will highlight any issues, but on first impression IMO this might be the best executed EBIKE I have played around with out the box in terms of both build quality and clever integration of controls etc. Lets hope it lives up to its promise.

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
Great write up @R120.

There have been a few posts about the motor and looks, but very little in terms of the handling characteristics from riders, particularly with reference to the different sizes. Would be good to hear about this - for example, how does it handle steep and tight alpine switchbacks?

I've got a preorder on the E+1 in medium which was expected to land early this month, but might not be able to share my comments until December or later.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes I too am waiting for some more riding feedback, the Giant is the first bike that has had me considering moving on from my E-Sommet.

the looks aren’t so important to me, not to be truthful the motor, but over the last 4 years I have seen enough friends been parted from their bikes due to failures which are down to poor design in the first place, so I will only move on to a bike where the basics are solid and thought out.

I also hate having any sort of display or clutter on my bars.

The Giant ticks all the boxes and the geometry is spot on.

I did actually have the option of taking the bike out for a ride, but if I binned it I would have had to pay for it and given I more often than not lob my bike down the hill I didn’t want to take the risk!

Tim gosnold

Nov 5, 2021
Fordingbridge
Yes I too am waiting for some more riding feedback, the Giant is the first bike that has had me considering moving on from my E-Sommet.

the looks aren’t so important to me, not to be truthful the motor, but over the last 4 years I have seen enough friends been parted from their bikes due to failures which are down to poor design in the first place, so I will only move on to a bike where the basics are solid and thought out.

I also hate having any sort of display or clutter on my bars.

The Giant ticks all the boxes and the geometry is spot on.

I did actually have the option of taking the bike out for a ride, but if I binned it I would have had to pay for it and given I more often than not lob my bike down the hill I didn’t want to take the risk!
You sir sound like a very sensible man. I took delivery of mine the other day but so far I rode it up and down the road in the dark. Hoping to take it out Sunday. 🤞

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
Got a call today to say mine's sitting in the shop waiting. As chance would have it, I'm leaving to do some proper alpine riding tomorrow, for the first time in almost a year, so won't get to see it until next week.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
View attachment 76238 Does anyone have experience with the code breaks. I think they need bleeding as I can pull the lever right back to the bar. Not had codes before currently running hopes on my other bike. Thanks.
There was thread here a few days ago about codes & donkey balls. It gave some good tips for getting the best out of them.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
how does it handle steep and tight alpine switchbacks?

I've already shared a couple of insights here: Reign E+ 2022 - EMTB Forums

Steep is sweet with this bike, and the faster you go the more fun it is.
Tight switchbacks where you have to lift the rear wheel is as easy as it is with any other E-MTB and 25+kg.
Turns are more fun because of the smaller rear wheel and shorter chainstrais.

There are some pics of the bike in its natural habitat @trailaddict.on.tour

Tim gosnold

Nov 5, 2021
Fordingbridge
There was thread here a few days ago about codes & donkey balls. It gave some good tips for getting the best out of them.
Thanks mate I’ll take a look. 👍

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Thanks mate I’ll take a look. 👍
I’ve never rated any SRAM brakes I’ve had in the past, way too hit and miss and questionable performance. I’ve literally got a box full of them in the garage! This is one of the weak points of this bike imo, especially at the price point the E+0 is at. Soon as my mrs has got over the shock of this new addition to the bike locker, I’ll be robbing the kids bank accounts for a decent set of hope or magura :cool: (y)

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
I’ve never rated any SRAM brakes I’ve had in the past, way too hit and miss and questionable performance. I’ve literally got a box full of them in the garage! This is one of the weak points of this bike imo, especially at the price point the E+0 is at. Soon as my mrs has got over the shock of this new addition to the bike locker, I’ll be robbing the kids bank accounts for a decent set of hope or magura :cool: (y)
Go for hope. Magura is High maintenance in my experience (only had MT7).

Tim gosnold

Nov 5, 2021
Fordingbridge
I was leaning towards hope just because I’ve had a few sets now and they are spot on. I’ve Never tried magura but have heard the same re maintenance.
Ive got some hope v4’s on my other bike. If I don’t get on with these I might swap them over. Only thing is they are orange. Not sure how it will look on this bike.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Go for hope. Magura is High maintenance in my experience (only had MT7).
I disagree. happy with 2 x Shigura MT7.
Needs as little maintenance as the 2 x XT on my other bikes.
But the SRAM Guide and Code RSC I have on the other bikes are not as good. Needs more often bleeding, and DOT is a mess. Breaking power is okay, but not as good as my other brakes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles