Reign E+ 2022

daddyo

Sep 15, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
Just received the new issue of german magazine EMTB. They already tested the new Reign and new Yamaha motor. The review is very positive. The Reign weighs nearly 25 kg with smaller battery so pretty heavy. The new motor gets the thumbs up, apparently it is very powerful and the only negative issue is that the new Yamaha is rather loud, louder than the PWX2 , Bosch and Shimano. However no rattle!
C1847384-C98A-451D-A39E-16549AB1A14B.jpeg

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Just received the new issue of german magazine EMTB. They already tested the new Reign and new Yamaha motor. The review is very positive. The Reign weighs nearly 25 kg with smaller battery so pretty heavy. The new motor gets the thumbs up, apparently it is very powerful and the only negative issue is that the new Yamaha is rather loud, louder than the PWX2 , Bosch and Shimano. However no rattle!

Heavy and noisy… I would’ve liked some improvement there, not that these are show stoppers but still… (the previous reign was 25.4 kg with pedals & tubes). I sincerely hope the rest of the review is extremely positive?
Can’t wait for Rob’s comments on that bike!
?

daddyo

Sep 15, 2019
Brno, Czech Republic
Heavy and noisy… I would’ve liked some improvement there, not that these are show stoppers but still… (the previous reign was 25.4 kg with pedals & tubes). I sincerely hope the rest of the review is extremely positive?
Can’t wait for Rob’s comments on that bike!
?
Yes it is positive.Very stable bike uphill and downhill, much more nimble than previous model. New Ridercontrol Ergo 3 and the LED panel get the thumbs up too. Excellent suspension. Only negative points are : "at slow speeds, the very flat steering angle makes the handling a bit wonky even in the steeper position" Also loud motor, heavy weight and only 125mm dropper in size M ( should be 150mm according to official info from Giant ). I agree with you, most new models are too heavy and most of the motors are way too loud . Shimano and Bosch also expect you to accept a very annoying rattle. Charging batteries takes way too long. Progress in the ebike region isn't very revolutionary or quick....

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
N
Yes it is positive.Very stable bike uphill and downhill, much more nimble than previous model. New Ridercontrol Ergo 3 and the LED panel get the thumbs up too. Excellent suspension. Only negative points are : "at slow speeds, the very flat steering angle makes the handling a bit wonky even in the steeper position" Also loud motor, heavy weight and only 125mm dropper in size M ( should be 150mm according to official info from Giant ). I agree with you, most new models are too heavy and most of the motors are way too loud . Shimano and Bosch also expect you to accept a very annoying rattle. Charging batteries takes way too long. Progress in the ebike region isn't very revolutionary or quick....

No sign of any chainstay protection which is a bit strange ?

Aug 20, 2021
Los Angeles
I talked to local shop in US which is an actual Giant bike shop and he tells me that he only sees the 2 and 3 coming to US at this point. No 0 or 1. I dont know how official this is exactly though, but it would be a real disappointment for me.

I called my local shop here in Los Angeles, and they told me the same thing. I am soooo bummed about this. I had my heart pretty set on the E+ 1. I really dig the light grey finish, and the Fox Performance Elite suspension and XT groupset is solid. For those of you in the US who also want to see the E+ 1 (or 0) come to America, may I humbly suggest sending Giant an email letting them know, or chat with an agent through Giant USA's facebook page. Hopefully if enough of us tell them that we want the E+ 1, they'll get their act together and bring it!!!

1629533332061.png

If it turns out to indeed be the case that we here in the USA will only get the E+ 2 and 3, I think I'd actually get the 3 and immediately upgrade to a Fox 38 and X2. It really boggles my mind though as to why they wouldn't sell the E+ 1 here in the US.

We'll see how the E+ 2 black looks in real life, but I'm not really digging the studio shots of it. I still prefer the "Good Grey" E+ 1, but the "Amber Glow" E+ 3 does look nice...

1629533685186.png

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I called my local shop here in Los Angeles, and they told me the same thing. I am soooo bummed about this. I had my heart pretty set on the E+ 1. I really dig the light grey finish, and the Fox Performance Elite suspension and XT groupset is solid. For those of you in the US who also want to see the E+ 1 (or 0) come to America, may I humbly suggest sending Giant an email letting them know, or chat with an agent through Giant USA's facebook page. Hopefully if enough of us tell them that we want the E+ 1, they'll get their act together and bring it!!!

View attachment 69478

If it turns out to indeed be the case that we here in the USA will only get the E+ 2 and 3, I think I'd actually get the 3 and immediately upgrade to a Fox 38 and X2. It really boggles my mind though as to why they wouldn't sell the E+ 1 here in the US.

We'll see how the E+ 2 black looks in real life, but I'm not really digging the studio shots of it. I still prefer the "Good Grey" E+ 1, but the "Amber Glow" E+ 3 does look nice...

View attachment 69480

Yep, although we get the 0 and 1 (but no 3) in Australia, I’m going with the 1 more for colour (I have a 2020 Trance 1 now so not allergic to green !) and my preference for XT over SRAM.

hexagon

Jun 22, 2019
Cape Town
Sounds positive, think the best will be if you can try it yourself. The way Josh Carlson shreds this thing is insane, which shows what you can do with it. I know I will never be able to ride like that, even if it weighs in at 25kg.

Trancer

Feb 19, 2020
UK
At this moment the new Reign isn't even mentioned on the UK site! Perhaps the prelude to a continuation of poor parts support (e.g. batteries for current models are like rocking horse manure in the UK).
The better geometry for steep downhills, smaller motor for ground clearance and larger battery for all day riding have got me interested as a replacement for my 2020 Trance E+3 but if the new motor is noisy and/or the 750Wh battery is not available for all models, either as standard or as an option, I'll be shopping elsewhere.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US

View attachment 69478

View attachment 69480
Respectfully you're either over hyping the 38/X2 or under appreciating the zeb select/DPX2. Remember the DPX2 was revised last year so that there's a shimmed blowoff pathway in the open mode, it's not the harsh pos it used to be. The select damper isn't bad either and it's very "at home" tunable and or upgradable. Imo there's many shocks much better than the X2, think EXT (assuming the LR is progressive enough).

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand

I'm not so concerned about the weight as some are, they have changed a lot of the problems with the previous model which is what makes me interested in the new 2022 model.
pretty much every brand/model well have things we dont like, we can be picky buggers.
Battery chargers is one of my gripes, so slow! some electric high power hub drive bikes charge 200-300% faster...
I took my wifes 19 Trance +0 back to shop, keeps cutting out, the mechanic spends alot of time with ebike faults (cutting out/codes etc) not just giants, also they didnt have a single emtb for sale, last shipment sold in a few days.
Considering the price we pay for these bikes some of the build quality and design is quite poor.
Time well tell..

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
And the forks look like Rockshox judys from the 90s :LOL:
Sorry guys... embargo ?‍♂️
But as far as I remember:
X E+1 = Fox 36+Fox DPX both performance
X E+2 = Fox 36 Rhythm+DPS
150mm front/140mm rear
Chainstay 473 mm Compare to 2021 Trance X => 472mm / older 2019/2020 => 470mm
Reach Size L 482/489mm / Compare to 2021 Trance X => 480/489mm / older 2019/20 => 460mm
So at the end, it is a bit longer, but only a few mm, and a bit longer chainstay

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
Do you think the 2022 Phantom Green color will be the same as the old model? It appears to be darker but I cannot understand

And It looks almost matt

View attachment 69690

I'm playing with Paint to think about stickers, do you like it? Any ideas?

View attachment 69693
View attachment 69694
I like it! Shame that dropper isn’t coated in kash loveliness as well though, it would have completed the bling :love: This is all assuming giant release this model wherever you are I take it?

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
As an owner of a 2020 +1 Pro i'd have expected them to sort out the issues, but from the pics and specs discussed there's a lot that should have been improved a bit more, it does look like they've improved the seat tube / top tube merging, but they don't look like they've done much to the pivot on the seat tube limiting how far a seat post can be inserted. The ground clearance with the motor/BB area looks better, but not by much, this is a real pain for me this one, same with the chain stay lengths, a bit of thought about the frame design to incorporate that suspension design and motor/battery placement was required.

It's a shame, as they're nice bikes, but this isn't pushing the others much, doubt the motor has changed in any real way either, so not a lot of movement overall when you strip down the tweaks.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
I'm sorry but I don't share your thoughts. they worked for a smaller but more powerful engine, it is also almost 4 inches higher from the ground. Mullet 27.5 with rather short sheaths. I think it's a completely new bike and maybe the Maestro system works even better. only negative is still more weight, and, perhaps, the somewhat noisy engine

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles