Reign E+ 2022

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
I cant say that it wasnt user error but it is a simple system - a cam operated by a torque limited screw - and a safety catch. I cant really see how I (or anyone else) could muck it up? I needed to retract the cam before I could put the battery back in.

I doubt the cover is designed to hold the battery in place so I’m not surprised that didn't hold up.

Last edited:

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I had the battery come loose. It didn't fall out just rattled. I later realised that you need to tighten the torx screw so it maxes out to the point that you hear it clicking. You cant over tighten it as its not designed to be over tightened.

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
If its any consolation I have heard the exact same thing happen to a 12k Bullit. I must admit I'm very careful when putting the battery in and never rush. Fortunately no issues with rattles or water ingress on my E+0

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
I didn't know that this actually existed. Great info. Although this manual is for the old controller...on the new one there is no light button.
I wonder If I accidentally switched my Reign into low speed mode...as the assistance fades out/in at 21km/h when pushing hard uphill in higher modes.
Could try using the app to reprogram the middle button as the light button temporarily?

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
I had the battery come loose. It didn't fall out just rattled. I later realised that you need to tighten the torx screw so it maxes out to the point that you hear it clicking. You cant over tighten it as its not designed to be over tightened.
For what its worth I also cut a thin piece of foam packing material and placed between the battery cover and the battery. At the terminal end of the battery I noticed some minor rubbing of cables and this foam layer seems to snug the battery in better and prevent any movement. When I ride the bike all the faff disappears beneath an intoxicating blur!

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Finally received rear DHRII DD + front Assegai DD and set them up tubeless as bikeshop provided the bike with tubes.

I had to reduce to 2.4 rear & 2.5 front to have DD tires, not sure if it's going to make a big difference vs. 2.5/2.6 original tires.

Also installed a Nukeproof Horizon V2 rear wheel (102POE), shows how crap the engagement was on the OE hub when comparing both wheels side to side.

SideF.jpg

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Serious spin today, 26km, 1200m climbing, 2.5 hours. Drained the battery luckily within reach of the car.

Tackled some ludicrous climbs, ones that you would never consider on analogue and blitzed them. Such a bizarre feeling! Anyone who says you don't get workout on an ebike doesn't know what they're talking about, was fried after it. Bike just feels so right out of the box, massively confidence inspiring.

Unlike the poster above my problem is I can't get the battery out! For some reason it is tightly wedged, which is annoying so back to the bike shop to get fixed. With riding with a pal on exactly the same bike and he's battery unclips no problem. But you expect these are my niggles on a new design.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
my battery is also in their very firmly. if my fingers and bike are cold, i often can't get it out, and use a large flathead screwdriver to help wedge it out. i've made a place indoors for it so a rarely drop the battery now....

i've wondered how the torx screw works internally. what is it turning and how does it hold the battery? i can't see or feel anything with the battery out to tell how it works.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
my battery is also in their very firmly. if my fingers and bike are cold, i often can't get it out, and use a large flathead screwdriver to help wedge it out. i've made a place indoors for it so a rarely drop the battery now....

i've wondered how the torx screw works internally. what is it turning and how does it hold the battery? i can't see or feel anything with the battery out to tell how it works.
Seems to be a V shaped cam that winds out when you turn the screw and locates in a notch in the battery just above the dubiously named safety clip.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland

I solved this today. Remove battery and cover, loosen the two Torx bolts in front of the cover. This holds the bracket the battery clips into in place. Then nudge it a fraction up. This created enough space so the battery was not binding on the bracket. Battery pops out perfectly now.

IMG_20220227_195425.jpg

mrandrewau

Jan 10, 2022
Canada
The battery fell out half way down an easy downhill. I’m fairly sure I had installed it properly - maybe not, but even so this should be able to happen on a bike designed to be ridden like this one is!

Sorry, either a steel bolt snapped or it was a user installation error. The battery weighs 10lb at most, and guess how much force is required to snap a bolt? The probability is not in your favour.

also, you should look up how to tune your derailleur, or take it to a shop. The shifting should be pretty crisp. They are on my lower end SRAM.

I’ve ridden mine twice now, no complaints.

E06055C5-14FC-4CA5-8144-C190D72B6423.jpeg

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
I solved this today. Remove battery and cover, loosen the two Torx bolts in front of the cover. This holds the bracket the battery clips into in place. Then nudge it a fraction up. This created enough space so the battery was not binding on the bracket. Battery pops out perfectly now.

View attachment 82990
I’m wondering if my issue is the exact opposite ie instead of being too tight it is too loose. I’ll take it back to the bike shop and get them to check it out - and hopefully supply a new cover.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
also, you should look up how to tune your derailleur, or take it to a shop. The shifting should be pretty crisp. They are on my lower end SRAM.
I agree - SRAM is smoother - this is Shimano XT but running a KMC chain. Maybe SRAM works OK with a KMC chain?

Tuning is spot on - riding MTBs for 30+ years tends to teach you a few things about setting them up ;)

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
I’m wondering if my issue is the exact opposite ie instead of being too tight it is too loose. I’ll take it back to the bike shop and get them to check it out - and hopefully supply a new cover.

If that is the case it's an easy fix as I described, in your case you just need to slide the bracket toward the battery. We are talking mm's here.

Hurre

Jan 21, 2022
Norway
Guys how do you feel the motor assistance is limited when blasting uphill(gravel,asphalt) roads in modes 4(Sport) and 5(Power).

My bike is fading out and in(motor assistance is still there but feels like I would be litley applying the brakes) at around 21,5 km/h...Is it the same with your bikes?

Yes I feel the same. (Reign E+1)
Also very noticeable is when I cycle on a path,
and stop pedaling for a few seconds, and start pedaling again,
then I get the same, breaking feeling before power comes on.
Feels there is too long delay before motor react on pedaling.
Maybe when the motor is disengaged, and when I start pedaling again,
the motor has to spin up first from pedaling, before it gives power?
If that so, then it is breaking...
I only have 6-7 rides on the bike, so maybe this solves itself.
love the bike, but this takes away some of the fun

I had another ebike with PW-X2 before, it was not like that at all.
It was also easier to pedal little over 25km/t on straight road,
and that was a fatbike..

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
If that is the case it's an easy fix as I described, in your case you just need to slide the bracket toward the battery. We are talking mm's here.
Took it back to the shop today. The locking mechanism was set too far from the battery so would not fully secure the battery. This meant the safety clip also didn't work as it should so currently being fixed and a new cover is on its way under warranty.

Good that it wasn’t user error :)

The mechanic also reckoned there is a chipped or broken gear inside the motor which is causing the clacking noise - so probably a new motor as well. Just confirmed a new motor is on its way.

Last edited:

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
The point in the frame where the lower shock mount is attached keeps filling up with water and gunk. I’ve tried cleaning and poking, assuming there is a drain hole, but no joy. The only way to drain is to flip the bike.
Anybody else getting this issue? Am thinking of stuffing some Motofoam in there to prevent build up.

Kyzo

Nov 30, 2021
Elche
The point in the frame where the lower shock mount is attached keeps filling up with water and gunk. I’ve tried cleaning and poking, assuming there is a drain hole, but no joy. The only way to drain is to flip the bike.
Anybody else getting this issue? Am thinking of stuffing some Motofoam in there to prevent build up.

I have seen Marcelo Gutiérrez put a piece of sponge in giant Glory To protect that hole does not get mud.

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Finalmente recibió DHRII DD trasero + Assegai DD delantero y los instaló sin cámara ya que el taller de bicicletas proporcionó cámaras a la bicicleta.

Tuve que reducir a 2.4 traseros y 2.5 delanteros para tener neumáticos DD, no estoy seguro de si hará una gran diferencia en comparación con los neumáticos originales 2.5/2.6.

También se instaló una rueda trasera Nukeproof Horizon V2 (102POE), lo que muestra cuán malo fue el acoplamiento en el buje OE al comparar ambas ruedas de lado a lado.

View attachment 82980
[/CITA]
Creo que has hecho una buena elección de neumáticos, cuéntanos que tal

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
El punto en el marco donde se sujeta el amortiguador inferior se sigue llenando de agua y suciedad. Intenté limpiar y pinchar, asumiendo que hay un orificio de drenaje, pero no me gustó. La única forma de drenar es volteando la bicicleta.
¿Alguien más tiene este problema? Estoy pensando en poner un poco de Motofoam allí para evitar que se acumule.
[/CITA]

IMG_20211230_200026.jpg

Sep 18, 2020
Truckee Ca

The intro of this article claims a lighter reign
I had the 2020 version and now have the 2022 E+2
Medium just the bike stock no bottle cage etc weighed at shop 53.4 lbs. the addition of a pound here or there IMO will not make a difference. The bike it awesome. Handles tech DH lines better and and with a different tire width/pattern does great on singletrack. I race/ride enduro tracks I can’t imagine any other bike being that muc hv better vs the price

Hurre

Jan 21, 2022
Norway
If anybody still thinks that Giants with new Yamaha are any slower than the competition ;)
Not to ruin, but we have this, and it does not look so good. I do not understand German, so I used subtitles.
I liked the feel of the yamaha PW-X2 better, but updated the software on my regin e + 1 today, and set up steps 2-3-4 at max, was on a 2.5 hour ride, and it felt better than before, do not know whether it was updating and / or more effect on the steps that did this.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Have a Reign e+3 coming soon and a couple of upgrade already here (rc2.1, pedals, fender and stuff). Was looking for a different damper. Can anyone link a tuneID from an X2 Fox Elite/Factory damper? Looking for compression/rebound tunes so I can go looking for one :)

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
2nd ride way more successful than the first - nothing fell off or broke. Fork and shock tuning not quite there on slow technical stuff but get the speed up or bigger drops and its awesome. Put a Shimano CN- M8100 chain on it and the shifting is definitely improved over the KMC. HR2 tyre on the back still needs swapping out as it really doesn't suit the dry dusty conditions here at present. More PBs on about 10 Strava segments. 47% battery left after 25k and 700m climbing.

Not faster or slower than my wife’s EP8 on the climbs though - neither of us could pull away from the other on a straight non tech climb - dont quite agree with the verdict in the post above.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Have a Reign e+3 coming soon and a couple of upgrade already here (rc2.1, pedals, fender and stuff). Was looking for a different damper. Can anyone link a tuneID from an X2 Fox Elite/Factory damper? Looking for compression/rebound tunes so I can go looking for one :)
Weird - neither my fork nor shock (both performance elite) have a custom tune ID on them - both are blank where one would be. Does this mean they are 100% stock ie the same as you could buy off the shelf from a bike shop?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles