Reign E+ 2022

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Give an update after you ride a couple of times. Mine was ready for pickup ( e+2) two days ago, the day I tested positive for Covid. Crazy huh? Hopefully, after Christmas I’ll get a chance to ride it.
My apologies, I could have been more specific🤪. This is Giant ebike number 3. Its actually a 2021 Trance X Pro 1. My own personal experience with the Giants have been generally good.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
The app is not world class, but it has been working fine this year (iPhone), it has improved steadily over the last two years.
No issues with the bike though, very satisfied with my 2020 TranceX E+2, over 2300 km so far.

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
Correct this also happened last year with the previous reigns.
My local shop told me not to use the app so I didn’t.
There was a thread on here about it,bikes being bricked etc. it’s nothing new, I don’t know where that thread is tho.
The app is handy if you want to adjust your assist levels, but I personally just ride it.
I believe giant will fix it, it’s just a shame the shop can’t override it with their gear.
My local giant has no idea about diagnosing ebikes with the computers either which doesn’t help.
Does anyone know if swapping batteries causes any issues? I have the chance of an E+0 without the 750 battery. I can only purchase a 625 battery. I just wondered if this might confuse the bike. Thanks.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I have just bought the Giant Reign e+2 in medium. If anyone is interested it says 24kg weight on the frame.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
24Kg isn't too bad for this bike! Is it real, can you check and confirm...? Rob's Reign E+1 shows 24,88Kg on the scale (if I remember correctly).

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
speaking about batteries anyone know a uk supplier of the 250 extender pak ?
I'm having difficulties locating a battery let alone an extender pak. Apparently 750wh batteries won't be available for the foreseeable future. I have had to order a 625wh which is in the country (uk) but I can't get an eta. I should have forgone the 'deal of the year' and bought a Reign with a battery!

Polaris

Oct 15, 2018
Lancashire, England
I'm having difficulties locating a battery let alone an extender pak. Apparently 750wh batteries won't be available for the foreseeable future. I have had to order a 625wh which is in the country (uk) but I can't get an eta. I should have forgone the 'deal of the year' and bought a Reign with a battery!
Just how did you get a 2022 reign without a battery?! Wasn’t an eBay super cheap special was it? :eek:

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
I'll join the battery extender thread. I managed to fit 590ml Fidlock bottle in my Reign e+ size L. But now I'm thinking will it also fit with the battery extender mount. How this mount affects the space for the water bottle exactly? Can someone help? There is virtually no space left there right now. I even had to put a special spacer in the bottle to let the cap end up rotated 90° to fit the frame.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
I'll join the battery extender thread. I managed to fit 590ml Fidlock bottle in my Reign e+ size L. But now I'm thinking will it also fit with the battery extender mount. How this mount affects the space for the water bottle exactly? Can someone help? There is virtually no space left there right now. I even had to put a special spacer in the bottle to let the cap end up rotated 90° to fit the frame.

u cant have both , the bracket fits in the 2 holes with rubber bungs on , u can fit a cage to the bracket then i think

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
u cant have both , the bracket fits in the 2 holes with rubber bungs on , u can fit a cage to the bracket then i think

Energy-Pak-Plus-Range-Extender-Reichweite_17.jpg

You can fit Fidlock with the battery extender mount judging from this picture. My question is how the battery mount changes the space for the water bottle. Is it like 5mm or maybe nothing?

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Also I would like to confirm that the hack using 3M on the battery section it’s working very well. I didn’t have any water inside and all the plastic cover was with mud and wet.
Just done mine as well with the 3M tape, forms a very nice seal on the battery bay. Testing it out tomorrow on the Mendips!

Ordinary Human Male

Jun 28, 2021
Australia
What do you guys think of the Novatec S442SB rear hub on the Reign E+? I read specs online that say it only has 4 pawls?!? Must be a typo?
It didn't come with that hub. I built a wheel around it because I wanted a cheap (~$40USD) and robust HG driver. Engagement is average but I've had no issues.

In fact, the entire wheel including the cassette and rotor only cost me about $125 USD to build up. The AR35 rims were a crazy price (about $25USD each) and CRC quickly doubled the price after I ordered mine.

I love a decent hub on the right kind of bike and have a Hope 4 on my hardtail and trials bike, but those are bikes that really benefit from the quick engagement. With the PWX3, there's a fair bit of movement required at the cranks before the motor even spools up (not sure if this is typical for all EMTBS) so even if I had a high engagement hub it would be limited anyway.

The way I figure, this bike is meant for higher speed manoeuvres to get over things, rather than slow trialsy moves, so I can't justify a high engagement hub at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbv

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
That’s funny I thought the new motor had an immediate response to rider input, with very rapid engagement. Reduced engagement is one of the things I dislike about my Shimano E8000 motor in my Merida.

Dominic1212

Oct 31, 2021
Germany
Did an 36km / 1050 hm ride with my Reign E0 on Saturday with 2 friends. One is riding an Levo MY21 700Wh the other one an Focus Jam (Bosch Gen4) 500Wh.

It was about 3°C and very very muddy. A lot of turbo mode riding because otherwise there where no chance to get trough the knee deep mud.
- The Bosch Bike ran out of juice after 30km and he was the one who rode the less in turbo ( maybe always EMTB)
- This was the second time i rode with my friend with the Levo and power consumption was almost the same. Same Rider weight and same tires ( Schwalbe MM and BB )

Came back with 26% battery left and did the last 7km in Auto Mode which is more or less Turbo because we lost the race against sunset.
So no complains here regarding Battery life ;-)

The Motor definitely needs more cadence ( compared to my 2019 Kenevo) why i changed the 36 Chainring for an 32 tooth.

Did now about 300km in very muddy conditions and clean the bike afterwards with garden hose. Also here no Problems.

Hopefully Giant will give us the possibility to adjust the Auto mode ( rider input -> motor power ).

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
I find with auto mode you have to be in correct gear and applying enough torque onto pedals otherwise it surges.

Reactions: jbv

Buckle

Dec 18, 2021
UK
Thanks for the info. Good to know you were able to clean the bike without incident! It would be interesting to hear what other owners of the new Reign have come from (previous Emtb's) and how it stacks up.

zorro77

Apr 13, 2021
Italy
Thanks for the info. Good to know you were able to clean the bike without incident! It would be interesting to hear what other owners of the new Reign have come from (previous Emtb's) and how it stacks up.

Hi my last emtbs were kenevo and then levo, this new Reign climbs like the levo (maybe even better) and goes down like the kenevo, but it is much more agile in driving perhaps thanks to the 29 in front and 27.5 in the rear

1640094341439.png

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Hi my last emtbs were kenevo and then levo, this new Reign climbs like the levo (maybe even better) and goes down like the kenevo, but it is much more agile in driving perhaps thanks to the 29 in front and 27.5 in the rear

View attachment 78509

I'm more and more in shock how good this bike actually is. I recently added another measure to describe this bike. I invented a measure called "ass saving factor" (short ASF) a long time ago. My intense tracer has an ASF of 9. It saved my ass in so many situations I should have been in the hospital I cannot even count. My old Trek fuel is great machine but ASF is more like 4. This Giant has ASF of at least 8. Already saved my ass from massively cased drop off. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade it to 9. Time will tell. 10 is only for heavy DH machines BTW, so 8 or 9 is absolutely great.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Just done mine as well with the 3M tape, forms a very nice seal on the battery bay. Testing it out tomorrow on the Mendips!
Pleased to report very little water in the battery compartment after an extremely muddy ride (up to the cranks at one point) and a lengthy hose off after. The 3M tape hack worked beautifully.
Also extremely pleased with how well the bike climbs, it’s like a mountain goat on crack. On the downs it’s like a sponge, soaking up the hits and never getting out of shape. Love it.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I have just used some baggage scales to check and it says 25kg for my Medium with battery. Don't know how accurate the baggage scales are.
24Kg isn't too bad for this bike! Is it real, can you check and confirm...? Rob's Reign E+1 shows 24,88Kg on the scale (if I remember correctly).

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
I come from a 2020 Levo. I've ridden it for two years. It is a nice bike but sometimes i felt it is a little stiff for me. Cornering around small technical edges felt sometimes unsure to me and it often seems like i'm sitting on the bike.
The reign feels like it is exactly made for me.
I'm sitting in not on the bike. Cornering is easier for me i think it's depending on the MX tire setup. There is nothing i'd like to change at the chassis, not even turning the handlebar to another position. It fits perfect out of the box. That is insane for me because of different bike and motorbike accidents i have a lot of broken bones making me trouble in my older days and being comfortable on a bike.
I feel so much more sure and stable on it, it climbs great, it jumps great, it flys great, DH is wonderful.
I also like the motor a lot. The only thing is the problem that my battery emptys to fast, but i will get a new one at the end of january. Hopefully then everything will be fine. I never had problems with mud or water while hose it down.
I think i have arrived at this bike 👍

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles