Red Light, L2 fault help

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
Fathom e2 has been brilliant...up until today.
About 3 miles into a ride the motor cut out and I've got a red flashing light and the second white light flashes at the same time :-(
I've done the usual thing of off and on and battery in and out and even dropped the motor to check for cable breaks and all seems good.
I've so far read 2 different things that say the L2 fault is a motor issue or a Ride Control Unit fault and needs replacing.
I'm leaning towards the control module as I washed the bike yesterday and didn't protect the ride control like I usually would from the water and the motor hasn't even done 1k yet so that seems unlikely.

Anyone else had the same problem or even a solution/fix as the bikes out of warranty now so I'd rather have a go myself at fixing it than being fleeced by a shop to do it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
JJ.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I have had many “sudden offs” there is a thread of the same name.

I’ve had the ride control show me 3-4 different error codes following the motor switching off.

I’ve had red and an L2 but it eventually restarted after a battery in/out manoeuvre. It’s never been clear what has caused it.

I wash my bike with a hose and the ride control always gets wet.....I rode my previous Trance during winter in the mud and rain.

I do a system check via the app before each ride but that has never shown an issue prior to a switch off, or after for that matter.

A service tool check might help, trip to LBS though.

I assume you’ve seen this:

IMG_2257.jpg

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
I have had many “sudden offs” there is a thread of the same name.

I’ve had the ride control show me 3-4 different error codes following the motor switching off.

I’ve had red and an L2 but it eventually restarted after a battery in/out manoeuvre. It’s never been clear what has caused it.

I wash my bike with a hose and the ride control always gets wet.....I rode my previous Trance during winter in the mud and rain.

I do a system check via the app before each ride but that has never shown an issue prior to a switch off, or after for that matter.

A service tool check might help, trip to LBS though.

I assume you’ve seen this:

View attachment 63120
Thanks for the reply mate.
I'veread the battery in and out and also left the bike on to turn itself off, as advised by Giant, to reset the bike but it's still being stubborn one.
Annoying as I've got 2 weeks off work from the end of this week and it's the first break I've had in 12 months and I had a load of biking planned :-(

I'll try and get it onto a local shop to diagnose...surely it shouldn't cost the earth to diagnose a fault between a motor and speed controller?
I'll update the thread as it progresses so hopefully it may help others.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
How long ago was the off? I would hope a bike shop should diagnose FOC. I’d also contact Giant direct and be nice but firm. It’s not acceptable.

I’ve been able to power on immediately after an off, usually followed by another off.

I moved my battery latch a tad further back which has meant the offs have only happened twice since and the last 70km have been fine.

It’s very frustrating, especially when the error codes are pretty inconclusive as to the actual fault.

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
How long ago was the off? I would hope a bike shop should diagnose FOC. I’d also contact Giant direct and be nice but firm. It’s not acceptable.

I’ve been able to power on immediately after an off, usually followed by another off.

I moved my battery latch a tad further back which has meant the offs have only happened twice since and the last 70km have been fine.

It’s very frustrating, especially when the error codes are pretty inconclusive as to the actual fault.
I've called every shop within 100 miles of where I live today and no one can see the bike until at least the end of the month due to being fully booked.
I'm going to take the battery connection point out tonight and have a good look at it to see if that helps anything....gotta be worth a try ?
Also I hadn't done any updates on the bike this year, mainly because of the attitude of 'if it ain't broke then it dont need fixing' and the bike connects but when you try and install any updates it just takes you to the screen where it has the update bar showing and when you click it nothing happens and no updates start?
I've got the bike sat next to my router as well and I don't know why but I'm sure it's the ride control unit that's goosed.

The bike went down on Monday and shows the same fault every time since :-(

Jukebox

Aug 13, 2020
Staffs
Had the code read today and its a motor fault.
Massive thanks to Giant as when the shop called up they agreed a new motor and no quibbles as the bikes not done many miles.
Can't knock the bike shop as they could have just ripped me off and charged me stupid money to replace and they havnt.
The will be getting all my service and parts work fron today and I can't thank them enough.
Same to Giant....brilliant response and glad I went down this route now with a known brand name.
I'll keep the thread updated once repaired and resolved and thanks @7869hodgy for reading and advising mate.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I've had the same issue just recently. I reset it and it did it again, three times; red light and L2 on, App diagnosis says 'motor fault' but nothing more specific than that.

Went to my LBS where I bought it from but the were no fault codes present when on their system. I had a ride around and it seems to have fixed itself, at least until the next time I want to do a long ride and you can bet it will break half way round.

I wouldn't mind a new motor because it's been awfully noisy from day 1, when compared to my wife's (same) bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles