• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Recommendations for Best Shock Absorbing Shoes

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
I had a partial knee replacement at the end of May '23 and am now back on road and MTB. One challenge though is that I am really feeling it on both the operated and non-operated knee when I go do the usual 15-20 miler off road.

Shoes I have are probably a bit too firm on the soles so wondering if folk who may have the occasional knee joint issue have managed to find any MTB shoes that offer good shock absorbtion ?

Cheers

Solution
I have arthritis in my knees and I use Volterol gel (the 2.32% concentration for joints) around the whole joint before every ride.
I also wear waterproof socks all year round when riding. The extra thickness provides a lot of cushioning. I buy shoes that are one size bigger than normal to accommodate them. I always used to use Sealskinz waterproof socks, but when the last lot wore out, I could not find any in the size and spec I wanted. I bought some by Endura and they are just as waterproof, cheaper and offer the same cushioning. I am still wearing Shimano AM42 flat shoes, like I have done for the last ten years (I'm on my third pair) and they have been absolutely fine.
Sealskinz come in three thicknesses and I always wore the...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have arthritis in my knees and I use Volterol gel (the 2.32% concentration for joints) around the whole joint before every ride.
I also wear waterproof socks all year round when riding. The extra thickness provides a lot of cushioning. I buy shoes that are one size bigger than normal to accommodate them. I always used to use Sealskinz waterproof socks, but when the last lot wore out, I could not find any in the size and spec I wanted. I bought some by Endura and they are just as waterproof, cheaper and offer the same cushioning. I am still wearing Shimano AM42 flat shoes, like I have done for the last ten years (I'm on my third pair) and they have been absolutely fine.
Sealskinz come in three thicknesses and I always wore the medium. I have no idea what thickness the Enduras are meant to be, but they feel the same.

Last edited:
Solution

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles