Recommend me a Shimano E8000 mtb around £4000

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
Hi folks,

Going round in circles trying to find my first full sus eMtb so thought I'd see if any of you knowledgeable people could recommend something specific.

Criteria as follows:
Budget of £4000, could go very slightly more but prefer to be under
Shimano E8000 motor as I would like some tuning options (which are currently NA with new Bosch)
UK supplier so I can do bike to work scheme
Available now - don't mind if it's a 2020 or 2019 sale bike

Riding is:
A couple of days commuting 20 miles round - part boggy canal path, part road
Local gravel type ride of 30 miles per week
Trail centre every month
Some summer rides off piste with full sus friends

So don't need anything crazy hardcore just enough to do the occasional very bouncy off road stuff. Figure the full sus will be handy for day to day anyway as a comfortable cruiser. Really appreciate any thoughts.

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
The Canyon On 6 or 7 seems to tick most of the boxes here.

Although I read that can be crazy leadtimes on canyon products and also the reviews say the two pot brakes are a bit under speccd. This aside though on paper it looks like the perfect machine. Any experiences of these?

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I think the only two downsides with the e-sommet really would be if you run into any issues after purchasing, as the aftermarket service has a reputation for being not too good from Wiggle / CRC apparently (Not tried myself) and that they keep getting sold out without much info on restocking... Oh and external battery if you care about such things (Rides beautifully most likely partially due to the bat placement but some can't stand the look it seems.)

In terms of the sommet Vs escarpe, you would have to decide what you need more and what is sufficient enough for you. Read rave reviews of the Sommet, but not much so far on the escarpe...

It basically comes down to FUN on the downhills and slightly less efficient for road / fire road or the other way around? (Keep in mind you have a motor to help with the efficiency part, there is nothing to weigh up for less travel on the downs...)

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Read rave reviews of the Sommet, but not much so far on the escarpe...

The E-Escarpe is new this year. I think the first ones are only actually being delivered this month (including mine!), so I'm hoping the rave reviews will appear in time.

I was eyeballing an E-Sommet for ages, but concluded it has more travel than my usual riding conditions warrant. I suspect the same may be true for the OP. Looking at reviews of the manual Escarpe, and given how well Vitus E'd up the Sommet, I'm confident my E-Escarpe well be plenty capable for me.

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
The E-Escarpe is new this year. I think the first ones are only actually being delivered this month (including mine!), so I'm hoping the rave reviews will appear in time.

I was eyeballing an E-Sommet for ages, but concluded it has more travel than my usual riding conditions warrant. I suspect the same may be true for the OP. Looking at reviews of the manual Escarpe, and given how well Vitus E'd up the Sommet, I'm confident my E-Escarpe well be plenty capable for me.

Looks like a great bike. Annoying you have to go VRS or above for E8000 and it’s E7000 below. Although actually this might allow for more range having slightly less torque. VR would prob be all my budget will go to.

Which exact model did you go for?

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
The VRS, partly to get the E8000, partly for a dial-able shock (as the Escarpe can apparently be a bit "wallow-y" when pedalling), and partly because - between the boosted Wiggle Platinum discount and Amex cashback - it's costing me £3,525. I'd been prepping the wife that I'd be spending "about three-and-a-half" for a while now, so it worked out perfectly!

Wiggle have boosted their loyalty discounts twice in the past month or so. I imagine they'll do again around Black Friday. Buy £100 of stuff from Wiggle, wait 'til the Gold discount is boosted to 10% and VRS = £3,870. I think we're on budget there!

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
The VRS, partly to get the E8000, partly for a dial-able shock (as the Escarpe can apparently be a bit "wallow-y" when pedalling), and partly because - between the boosted Wiggle Platinum discount and Amex cashback - it's costing me £3,525. I'd been prepping the wife that I'd be spending "about three-and-a-half" for a while now, so it worked out perfectly!

Wiggle have boosted their loyalty discounts twice in the past month or so. I imagine they'll do again around Black Friday. Buy £100 of stuff from Wiggle, wait 'til the Gold discount is boosted to 10% and VRS = £3,870. I think we're on budget there!

Great info on loyalty discount. So all I have to do is order £100 of stuff and get in the programme?

If so might do that now as need a few things and I won't be able to order the bike for another month or so due to bike to work scheme launch date.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Yep, just buy stuff. Once you've spent enough, and a day or two has passed for it to be logged, the discount is auto-applied when you're shopping.

Just to say - I was considering the E-Sommet last year and I believe they were released around the same time, but very quickly sold out. It was January before they were back in stock. (And by then my dog had ruptured a cruciate ligament and the £3.5K I'd set aside had to be spent putting him back together!)

Anyhows, I've no idea if the same will happen with the E-Escarpe this year, but I thought I'd offer a word of warning if you're trying to time a boost to the Wiggle discount, your Cyclescheme, plus stock availability.

kendo

Sep 2, 2019
Scotland
Hi folks,

Going round in circles trying to find my first full sus eMtb so thought I'd see if any of you knowledgeable people could recommend something specific.

Criteria as follows:
Shimano E8000 motor as I would like some tuning options (which are currently NA with new Bosch)

Riding is:
Trail centre every month

So don't need anything crazy hardcore just enough to do the occasional very bouncy off road stuff. Figure the full sus will be handy for day to day anyway as a comfortable cruiser. Really appreciate any thoughts.

Without any doubt whatsoever get yourself a Vitus Sommet VR, simply the best out there for the money ( read the reviews) and better than most at twice the price. One caveat Vitus are shit with customer service. The Vitus eBikes are retailed through Wiggle and Chain Reaction Cycles.

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
Yep, just buy stuff. Once you've spent enough, and a day or two has passed for it to be logged, the discount is auto-applied when you're shopping.

Just to say - I was considering the E-Sommet last year and I believe they were released around the same time, but very quickly sold out. It was January before they were back in stock. (And by then my dog had ruptured a cruciate ligament and the £3.5K I'd set aside had to be spent putting him back together!)

Anyhows, I've no idea if the same will happen with the E-Escarpe this year, but I thought I'd offer a word of warning if you're trying to time a boost to the Wiggle discount, your Cyclescheme, plus stock availability.

Excellent point. Would go for a speedy delivery and few £ extra rather than waiting months - I want to get out there on an ebike now!

However bike to work is the most important discount for me as should provide a 42% saving. No point chasing all the other savings if I then don't get the bike. Couple of others that were of interest also don't launch til March next year which is no good for me.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
The Canyon On 6 or 7 seems to tick most of the boxes here.

Although I read that can be crazy leadtimes on canyon products and also the reviews say the two pot brakes are a bit under speccd. This aside though on paper it looks like the perfect machine. Any experiences of these?

I cancelled an order for two Canyon Neoron On after 3 months of lies - bought Commencal order to delivery 5 days including a weekend.- check their website - really pleased with my Meta Power 29 (2019). Prices start at £3000 £4000 gets great spec £3,900 for Fox Factory fork and shock! COMMENCAL 2019 | META POWER 29 SIGNATURE 2019

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hi folks,

Criteria as follows:

Riding is:
Trail centre every month

COMMENCAL 2019 | META POWER 29 SIGNATURE 2019

ebikerlancs

Oct 28, 2019
Lancashire, UK
I cancelled an order for two Canyon Neoron On after 3 months of lies - bought Commencal order to delivery 5 days including a weekend.- check their website - really pleased with my Meta Power 29 (2019). Prices start at £3000 £4000 gets great spec £3,900 for Fox Factory fork and shock! COMMENCAL 2019 | META POWER 29 SIGNATURE 2019

That 2019 model looks very good indeed.

I saw the 2020 model with the 160mm shock and it just looked at bit extreme for what I needed but the 2019 looks more of an all rounder?

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
That 2019 model looks very good indeed.

I saw the 2020 model with the 160mm shock and it just looked at bit extreme for what I needed but the 2019 looks more of an all rounder?
I didn't think I needed 150 - had 140 on my last "normal" Cannondale, hence looking at the Neuron, but I don't notice the 150 in fact I drop down things now that I would have walked down previously and come out smiling. I don't lock out climbing and the grip is amazing. I only lock out on tarmac for a bit more efficiency and usually because the motor is off. EMTB doesn't follow the same rules as normal MT as you can get aways with loads more travel, slacker angles, softer and grippier tyres because the engine makes up for it. I now also climb far tougher and longer and technical stretches and look for root steps on the way up as they are more fun than changing course for the smoother line. Descents are the same, I look for the best line rather than smoothest. The grin factor on technical stuff is amazing and for fire trails it's like a rolls royce ride. I'm not a highly skilled rider and injuries really put caution and doubt in my head. The Meta Power 29 has washed all that away. I did demo the Spectral On - it was more responsive, but I like the way the Commencal climbs with more grip and just calmly rides over everything in its path on the way down.

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hi folks,

Criteria as follows:

Riding is:
Trail centre every month

Are you in Lancashire? I'm in Dorset else you could have a ride.

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
@ebikerlancs i would stay away for those slacked ebikes, there are great for downhill and nothing else, that’s my advice every time i see somebody asking for a ebike for mortal riders.

The Spectral On can be both a 66.8 and a 67.6 head angle, mix of 29/27.5 great specs, light ebike, nimble, 150 of travel ... that’s my recommendation

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
@ebikerlancs i would stay away for those slacked ebikes, there are great for downhill and nothing else, that’s my advice every time i see somebody asking for a ebike for mortal riders.

The Spectral On can be both a 66.8 and a 67.6 head angle, mix of 29/27.5 great specs, light ebike, nimble, 150 of travel ... that’s my recommendation
Mine loves sweeping single track and beating a mate on his local single track trail on his Scott Spark Carbon makes me think it isn't too much of a slouch on local forest trails. Mine climbs faster and stuff that better and fitter riders can't do on their non electric bikes so for me is a great leveller. But Hey I'm no expert just a 60 year old enjoying riding again because the slack angles and comfort paired with the assist take me places smiling. I agree the Spectral is more nimble and feels more alive as I tried it. It's down to personal preference. I think this review is spot on and echoes what I found. Canyon Spectral:ON vs. COMMENCAL META POWER 29 | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain
Mine loves sweeping single track and beating a mate on his local single track trail on his Scott Spark Carbon makes me think it isn't too much of a slouch on local forest trails. Mine climbs faster and stuff that better and fitter riders can't do on their non electric bikes so for me is a great leveller. But Hey I'm no expert just a 60 year old enjoying riding again because the slack angles and comfort paired with the assist take me places smiling. I agree the Spectral is more nimble and feels more alive as I tried it. It's down to personal preference. I think this review is spot on and echoes what I found. Canyon Spectral:ON vs. COMMENCAL META POWER 29 | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Horses for courses, you know ...

Dont forget the Levo, is always a safe bet, plenty of customization and the 2019 can be found now at 4000£ I think, the specs are just fair but if don’t hardcore the bike may be enough, you still get the Brose Mag that imho is a better motor than shimano

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles