Recommend me a torque wrench

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
Never had one before. I opted for a Pro Bike Tool kit from Amazon, but the measurements are so difficult to see, I don't trust it.

TBH, I may just stick to "If it feels right, it'll do" and "If it slips, do it a bit tighter".

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Hold your wallet tight! Calibrated torque wrenches are just too expensive to the home mechanic.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Planet X do a decent 1-25nm torque wrench for under 30 quid. I had it tested last time the calibration guys were in at work and it was more accurate than the one I use daily.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Planet-X torque wrench works in both directions. As does the Sealey I’ve also got at the Norbar wrenches we use at work. The only one we’ve got that doesn’t is a 1200nm 1” drive wrench for doing up the bolts on a 2000kg mixer cage.

Bones

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
The Planet-X torque wrench works in both directions. As does the Sealey I’ve also got at the Norbar wrenches we use at work. The only one we’ve got that doesn’t is a 1200nm 1” drive wrench for doing up the bolts on a 2000kg mixer cage.
And I thought the 3/4 drive I used to use on commercial vehicles was big??

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I use Norbar In work and at home. Good quality and not that expensive. We get them calibrated once a year in work and the people who do it say they are always spot on.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
Never had one before. I opted for a Pro Bike Tool kit from Amazon, but the measurements are so difficult to see, I don't trust it.

TBH, I may just stick to "If it feels right, it'll do" and "If it slips, do it a bit tighter".
Topeak D.Torque if you have deep pockets or the fabulous Silca pocket torque wrench is what I've used for the past 15 months, better than any multitool.

Nakedebiker

Jul 7, 2020
West Yorkshire
Planet X do a decent 1-25nm torque wrench for under 30 quid. I had it tested last time the calibration guys were in at work and it was more accurate than the one I use daily.
Same here although mines 2 to 24nm.
Had it checked by the calibration guy who comes to do my Snap-On ones for work and it was out ever so slightly but was really easy to adjust.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
This one is good. Easy to use and with a good variety of bits. The bits lock into the head so no falling off onto the floor and skittering out of sight.

X-Tools Essential Torque Wrench Set - The Best Budget Bike Torque Wrench — Expedition Recreation

This is not a criticism, but in common with many torque wrenches, they are for tightening right hand threads only. If you try tightening a left hand thread or loosening a right hand thread, they will jam and can be difficult to fix.
I use this one and it has never failed me. The price is right and it works great! It comes under several different name brands but still the same tool. They all look exactly the same with the same everything but the name.

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Just calibrate your torque wrench at home. Many you tube videos available on how to do it. Check it at torques you normally use, then add or subtract to setting accordingly when you go to use it. I do it to all my torque wrenches one a year or if I drop one.BTW, I like to use a "jug with water" as a weight to calibrate, as you can get the weight pretty spot on using a digital kitchen or a postage scale.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles