Rear wheel bearings

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Hi there guys

I’m going to do my rear wheel bearings very soon but I need a little advice about them, my bike has WTB 27.5” wheels with the three pawl DT Swiss type free hub body, what I need to know is will I need a lock ring removal tool or will the bearing knock out without removing the lock ring on the drive side, as always any help would be appreciated please.

Sean

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Are they DT Swiss or "DT Swiss Type"? What's the specific hub model? Also, the hub will have both wheel bearings and freehub bearings. You might want to replace both while you're in there.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Sorry mate, yeah the actual wheel hub is DT Swiss but the free hub is Whyte’s own free hub which is only a few months old, I have no idea which model it is but I’ll do my best to find out, thanks for your feedback mate

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I’m sorry mate but now I’ve read the specifications for my bike it says the spokes are DT Swiss but no mention what make the hub is, I think rather than mess anyone about I’m going to buy a lock ring tool, they’re only about £15, I just don’t like messing anyone about that’s all mate

Sean

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I’m sorry mate but now I’ve read the specifications for my bike it says the spokes are DT Swiss but no mention what make the hub is, I think rather than mess anyone about I’m going to buy a lock ring tool, they’re only about £15, I just don’t like messing anyone about that’s all mate

Sean

probably the safe bet.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Yeah, you will definitely need to remove the cassette from the hub to access the bearings. Hub will be a Whyte branded one made by an outside company (probably Novatec) . Difficult to determine who as Whyte won’t tell you. They should be able to tell you correct bearing size and number though, although I’ve asked questions about freehub compatibility and never heard back from them. The bearings in the shell are easy to change, the freehub ones can be a giant pain. Depending on price it can much easier just replacing the freehub.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Thanks for your feedback mate, I already have the correct bearings that I bought from City seals and bearings in Sheffield, thankfully the free hub is nearly new so I don’t need to change them, I have bought a lock ring tool so hopefully it’ll be a straight forward job, I’ve always said that a job is halved with the correct tools ?thanks again guys

Sean

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I did my rear wheel bearings last weekend and what an absolute doddle, took all of an hour including giving my wheel a really good meticulous cleaning too, the tool I bought from eBay didn’t fit the lock ring and in the end I didn’t need it, the bearings just knocked out with the use of a Park Tool plastic faced hammer and a suitably sized socket bit to knock them back in inside the lock ring, lovely smooth bearings now ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles