Reaction performance 625 2021 fork help.

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
Hello, this is my first step into the world of eMTB and this forum, which i was advised to join. I've just purchased a 2021 29" Cube Reaction Performance 625... I want to upgrade the forks from the factory SR Suntour XCM ATB Coil, 100mm to ones which i can lockout. I'm not sure what to look out for, but all i know is they are tapered stem and the head tube is 120mm (size L frame) 29" wheels. Not bothered about more clearance, just want a better fork with lockout feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
IMG_5385.JPG

Trip Hazard

Oct 23, 2020
Tyne and Wear
I just changed the forks on my Cube Reaction Pro to Suntour XCR Air Forks 120mm travel. They are nearly a kilo lighter than the XCM and perform a lot better and the lockout actually works. They were £114.99 on ebay.

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
A couple of weeks back I took out the weighty piece of poop called the standard forks and fitted some RockShox Yari's I was given by a friend.
The main thing you've got to look for is the steerer length. On my bike the fork steerer was 21cm approximately, the Yari's were 19.5 cm.
There were quite a few extra spacers at the stem, so I lost them and all fitted fine. Love the new ones, night and day difference in ride quality now.

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 23.05.50.png

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
I just changed the forks on my Cube Reaction Pro to Suntour XCR Air Forks 120mm travel. They are nearly a kilo lighter than the XCM and perform a lot better and the lockout actually works. They were £114.99 on ebay.
Thanks bud, i'll have a look at those..

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
A couple of weeks back I took out the weighty piece of poop called the standard forks and fitted some RockShox Yari's I was given by a friend.
The main thing you've got to look for is the steerer length. On my bike the fork steerer was 21cm approximately, the Yari's were 19.5 cm.
There were quite a few extra spacers at the stem, so I lost them and all fitted fine. Love the new ones, night and day difference in ride quality now.

View attachment 62650
Cheers, excuse my ignorance, but is that dimension the one highlighted? mine would have a dimension of 12cm, plus the height of the handle bar stem?
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 19.56.35.png

Last edited:

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
Cheers, excuse my ignorance, but is that dimension the one highlighted? mine would have a dimension of 12cm, plus the height of the handle bar stem?
View attachment 63855

Your highlighted dimension is 12cm, mine is 13.1cm (XL frame).
But yes you're right, for me with the stem and quite a few spacers, the steerer length was 21cm on the old fork on removal.

Btw. the standard fork steerer is straight with an adaptor for the bottom bearings, so a tapered steerer is no issue.

Best,
Whitey

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
Your highlighted dimension is 12cm, mine is 13.1cm (XL frame).
But yes you're right, for me with the stem and quite a few spacers, the steerer length was 21cm on the old shocks on removal.

Btw. the standard fork steerer is straight with an adaptor for the bottom bearings, so a tapered steerer is no issue.

Best,
Whitey
Thanks Whitey, great info.

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
Is the adaptor a separate spacer ring or will @gavcav have to get a new lower bearing?

I had ordered a new bottom headset bearing set just incase. Weren't needed, however......
They came with a split crown which was all I needed to add to the base of the steerer of new shocks.

The original shocks (straight steerer) have what I can only describe as a double seated crown for the bearings to sit on.

Best,
Whitey

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
Hi all, but of a newbie so apologies for the basic questions. I am looking at getting a cube performance 625, there’s also a set of rockshox recons available locally.

According to the cube webpage my stem length? Is 110mm. The rockshox I’m looking at for sale states cut stem length 160mm. Would that work or would I need to cut it down?

View attachment 64718

The measurement of 110mm on your bike is the headset measurement, not the steerer measurement on the shocks.

For comparison my headset measurement is 131mm.
The standard shocks steerer height was 210mm, but at the top was a couple of spacers, the stem, then a couple more spacers.
My RockShox steerer is 190mm, so I 'just' lost a couple of the spacers that weren't needed.

Best,
Whitey

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
^^^ I notice in the pics above there is a quick release lever on the front hub. Mine only has that on the rear wheel. I’ve trawled and seen some with and some without. Anyone retrofitted a QR for theirs?

What the quick release of/on the original poster?
My bike had QR too originally, but my replacement shocks were 'Boost' so I had to get a new wheel on the front.
Have the securing fitment that suits.

Best,
Whitey

Whitey

May 3, 2021
Sussex, UK
68C5C19F-08CA-4DF7-A18B-98C44B478EA5.jpeg

George, you should be ok, you may have to play around with what size spacer you do use between the top bearings and the stem.

A262D36D-48BD-4FBD-BF49-D70707A9F5F8.jpeg
FA4E2CA7-4195-48AE-886D-83E8490AB376.jpeg

The hub is a thru axel/boost like mine. You’ll need a new wheel to accommodate the Rockshox.
Also from the pic you’ve posted you’ll need a split crown to put at the bottom of the steerer to seat the lower headset bearings.

Whitey

gavcav

May 25, 2021
Leeds
Update: I've got the fork dilema sorted out..i've got rid of the bike and bought a new Race 625 (photo attached). Took a look of searching to get hold of one, there's hardly any stock of Cube eMTB in the UK at the moment. Next thing to buy are some Cube Acid Mudguard set 75, 29" BB mount 2.0

Same as the bike, there's no stock anywhere. I found availability on a German Shop website but they have set a minimum spend of £175, so they would not sell the 29 Euro mudguards to me unless i paid up the £175!

Along shot i know, but does anyone know of anyone selling a set? same as in the link below:

Love the new bike, better forks, better motor..just one question on the Bosch CX..it's got the 85nm update and is very impressive. The only thing is it's a lot noisier than my 'performance Line' with the 65nm motor. Is this how it is? i was beginning to think it had a problem.
Regs Gav.

IMG_6030 3.JPG
IMG_6021 2.JPG

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Great upgrade if you ask me

I bought the 2021 Pro version earlier in the year as getting any stock was an absolute nightmare, but the suntour coil forks are absolutely useless boat anchors.

For people finding this thread in the future - the length of the steerer means you pretty much can't fit 2nd hand ones unless you lose a load of spacers.
Also be warned that a lot of people say it's a straight steerer with adapters - this is not always the case, my standard suntour XCM's were a tapered steerer. And cube have now switched to not using the suntours on the Pro version completely. Some people I spoke to with the performance version had a straight steerer and some an angled one...
I think stock issues means what fork you get, and what steerer is a complete lottery. It's best to pull your old one out before you order anything.

I swapped mine out for 120mm Manitou Markhors and it's like a different bike.
But I've also chucked 203mm rotors on, swapped to 4 piston calipers (cos the standard brakes were terrible for anything other than light gravel use, at least for me cos I'm kinda heavy) and changed out the smart sam's for something a bit more off road appropriate.

What this resulted in is about £500 extra spent on top of the Hybrid Pro 625 I bought - to basically end up with the Race version which would have been the same price.... hah live and learn

Anpaiss

Jun 14, 2022
Italy
Hi all. I have the Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 (Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 flashgrey´n´green) since Sept 2021 and I am very happy with it except for the X-Fusion Mig29 fork, really bad. My wife has a similar Cube but with the Rockshox Judy silver and it is another world, though certainly not a top fork. But the difference is night and day.
So I'm thinking of upgrading to a Rockshox Judy Gold or a 35 Gold. However, I am really confused about what I should replace (fork aside). New headset and fork crown race? Which ones? I real undestand nothing about steering headtubes and I am worried not to get the right parts to install the new fork. I see both the Rockshox are indicated as "Tapered 1.5" to 1 1/8"", my Cube 29 has the headset "ACROS AZX-1030, Top Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm), Bottom Zero-Stack 1 1/2" (ZS 56mm)". Do I need a new one for the new fork?
Thx and sorry for my poor english ;)
Have a nice day and ride
Andrea

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles