Rail 9.7 shutting off...finally fixed??

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
My 2020 9.7 kept shutting off...no power while riding. After 4 trips to the dealer, they feel it may be finally fixed. My bike was built without the battery truss. That's a long piece of metal connecting the top n bottom of the battery connections for stability. Well...it's installed now. We'll see it it works.

20220226_162001.jpg

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
From what I was told, my dealer had no clue that brace was even missing. This was the 4th time at the shop. They thought it was a software or motor issue the entire time. Some Trek rep stopped by, looked at my bike and told them the part was missing. They ordered it from Trek and installed the part. Apparently not having this brace is not uncommon for 2020's and some 21 models. They just didn't install the brace on every bike at the factory for whatever reason. I didn't even know this part was missing until I picked the bike up and they explained it to me.

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
From what I was told, my dealer had no clue that brace was even missing. This was the 4th time at the shop. They thought it was a software or motor issue the entire time. Some Trek rep stopped by, looked at my bike and told them the part was missing. They ordered it from Trek and installed the part. Apparently not having this brace is not uncommon for 2020's and some 21 models. They just didn't install the brace on every bike at the factory for whatever reason. I didn't even know this part was missing until I picked the bike up and they explained it to me.
When I picked up my Rail7 in May 2021, I was told the bracket was shipped with the bike, but not installed. Supposedly the bikes assembled after May 2021 were all going to have them installed before shipment.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Interesting. My Rail would have been assembled in January 2021. Trying to manage my expectations here but it sounds like a very obvious solution. On my ride on Saturday it cut out 5 times
AD4F1464-F541-4DC3-9235-007030A2D1C3.png

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Look at your bike. Does it have that metal battery truss thingy mabobber? If not...that's probably why it keeps shutting off.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I would definitely look into getting one of those thingamabobbbers installed. Are you in the States? From what it seems, dealers were supposed to be installing these on bikes when they assembled them and neglected to. Availability shouldn't be a problem I am assuming.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
When I picked up my Rail7 in May 2021, I was told the bracket was shipped with the bike, but not installed. Supposedly the bikes assembled after May 2021 were all going to have them installed before shipment.

Really? I picked my Rail 5 in May 2021 as well, it was fresh off the boat when I bought it online on May 12, the LBS didn't even have it in hand yet, was at their warehouse), they made no mention of the bracket.

Mine was cutting out until I followed suggestion of a Trek mechanic (remove motor cover, loosen bottom battery bracket, use a "stick" - like a long hex wrench - to press the bottom battery bracket into the battery, then tighten) but it's clearly not aligned properly, and this isn't the documented way to adjust/align it (they did it the "proper" way a couple times with no luck). I'd much prefer a proper fix but dont want to pay for it.

Isn't there a Trek rep that lurks around this forum? I would like to get Trek's policy on this. My local corporate Trek shop has always been really helpful and generous with their time, they'd probably do the bracket install at no cost, especially if they were already shipping the bracket last May.

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
I had the same 'tripping off' issue on the Trek rail 5 (feb2021), it just turned itself off/on over bumps and when fault codes were read, it comes up as 'power disconnection fault'. Tried the alignment procedure a couple of times, bike shop tried it, bike shop replaced wiring loom recommended by bosch (under warranty) and still tripped off. Tried with a second battery and still tripped off. Trek sent the LBS an alignment plate kit (comes with different screws etc) that they fitted and never had a trip since.
The alignment plate kit was supplied by Trek as a recall, all the later 2021 Rail's came with them already. What I also noticed was that when the alignment plate is fitted, the battery is aligned differently, sitting further out at the bottom (couple of mm out from flush) than the alignment procedure suggests and virtually no gap at the top.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I noticed the same thing...my battery does not sit exactly like it did after being fitted with the plate. I have not ridden mine on normal trails yet due to snow so I am hoping this solves the issues.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Just North in Vancouver, BC. My LBS is closed on Monday. I'll be talking to them tomorrow.
It may be too soon but any word from your LBS on the battery bracket?
I’m in Coquitlam so I’ll ask the Trek dealer here also(westwood location).
I’ve wrote in these forums before about the battery cutoff issue. Mine always seems to be in the same location (very bumpy and fairly level fire road) and same speed. There could be an old Flux-Capacitor was buried at that spot😉. Another member suggested that the battery connections could be wearing out (probably from repeated vibrations). Anyways the battery bracket may be the solution.

Viserys

Apr 17, 2021
UK
It may be too soon but any word from your LBS on the battery bracket?
I’m in Coquitlam so I’ll ask the Trek dealer here also(westwood location).
I’ve wrote in these forums before about the battery cutoff issue. Mine always seems to be in the same location (very bumpy and fairly level fire road) and same speed. There could be an old Flux-Capacitor was buried at that spot😉. Another member suggested that the battery connections could be wearing out (probably from repeated vibrations). Anyways the battery bracket may be the solution.
Mine was exactly the same, flat sections with short sharp bumps like roots would trip it out, slow speed bumps like ramps and drops wouldn't trip it. Alignment plate sorted it.

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
This issue has been going on for ages for me. The latest hopeful solution was a new wiring harness (under warranty) from Bosch, I haven't had it installed yet and the LBS says until we install that and test it then Trek is not going to want to try the "next" solution until we try the wire.

I am 100% convinced it is a battery movement issue so a bit irked that the potential answer is being delayed. The guys at my store have been nothing but great to me. I'm starting to get pissed at Trek.

@Stihldog that would be amazing if you could ask. I'd love to know if Trek have a consistent message with this battery alignment. Had it been a car this would be an instant recall. Funny how all new bikes now ship with a different battery "holding" device. The previous design was terrible and they know it.

I've tried tagging the Trek rep here but maybe he deleted the account? I have seen previous postings.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I am 100% convinced it is a battery movement issue so a bit irked that the potential answer is being delayed. The guys at my store have been nothing but great to me.
I think you’re right. It’s the small movement which may be causing slight wear on the battery connections. I’ve never experienced a shutdown in steep rock gardens or descending trails …only at that spot (give or take a few meters). Regardless, I’m able to power thru it until the power returns, and it usually does.
I’ll post in here the response from Trek LBS and order or add the bracket soon. I’ll probably install it myself when I install the new dropper.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Still no one that has a number fort the spare part (it that is the solution)? Talked to my LBS, but they can’t find the part mentioned.

Then there is a mention of a recall. Would LBS know anything about these recalls?

Guess I’m back to chasing Trek to figure out what to do.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Here’s some more part numbers for the battery truss/bracket/brace/strip for the Powerfly. It’s called an ‘Alignment Plate’. There’s different part numbers for different battery size (500w or 625w).
BD9444E6-B0B5-4C30-BADF-0CC4813283F6.png

Some owners are having success by simply performing a battery alignment procedure. Others believe that the battery tube may have some flex, which may be causing temporary power failure. I believe that any movement at all is causing additional wear and/or failure of the battery connections at the lower bracket. (I know, this isn’t Rocket Surgery). A rattling noise from the battery compartment could be an indication of future power failure. I don’t know if this helps but my Powerfly’s don’t have the “cutoff” issue …however my Rail does.

I’m gonna show these part numbers to the LBS(Trek) again. I asked them yesterday while I was there, but I was side-tracked …AXS Reverb delivery stuff. (Squirrel!)😳

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I’m on my phone so I’m not going to look back through it now but I’m quite sure that the parts are also described in the 2022 Rail Parts Diagram in the Trek Sticky section? The reason I think I’ve seen it as I was surprised that they have two options in the manual, one with the alignment plate and one without. It could have been for the Powerfly but I thought it was the Rail.

I’m skiing this week but my bike is ready for pick up at my LBS with a brand new wiring harness from Bosch. From what I can see Trek doesn’t outwardly discuss the battery issues, otherwise 8-9 months after it was constantly cutting out we wouldn’t be trying stupid things like replacing wires when all they have to do is find a way to secure the battery. The shop has a stupid number of unbillable mechanic hours on my bike because either Trek aren’t talking in general or my LBS is getting shafted by Trek. How many of these threads are there? I understand the battery is heavy but it just needs securing properly.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Thanks everyone. Really hope this sorts it. Having these issues makes it very difficult to use the bike properly. I'll report back once I got it fitted.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
It’s been over a month now (maybe 2) and I haven’t had a single “cutoff “ issue. I never installed the new battery alignment plate but instead re-adjusted and re-aligned the battery (as per instructions) lower bracket. I moved the bracket slightly closer (and tighter) to the battery once I loosened then re-tighten the bracket screws (torx security screws (2)).
It didn’t take much of an adjustment (1mm or less) but it made all the difference. Maybe less rattle too? Who knows?

All I know is that I can confidently wear my superman (caveman) cape again while I ride 😉.

dochabanero

Sep 8, 2019
Sweden
Just want to provide some feedback as well for those out there still having issues. This did the trick! I have gone on some seriously gnarly trails with the bike. Jumps, drops, roots. Not a single issue :)

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
I’ve had zero cutoff issues since Bosch replaced the wiring harness on mine. Due to the time of the year, I have not removed my battery either so I feel like it wasn’t a completely controlled test. Hoping mine was the wiring harness and now it’s all sorted.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles