Question for Electrical Gurus

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yep I was thinking about his specific circustance and since there is no simple solution why not take completely different approach. Go out in the car with bike and genny an hour early for a ride. Park up at a trail head....fire up the genny...get a flask out and have some lunch etc...maybe lube up the bike....then go ride!

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Neither option is feasible unfortunately as the garage in question is a communal one underground an apartment block .
We do keep a car in there hence the thought of an invertor from the battery.
I didn’t realise charging a 378w ebike Battery would be so demanding power wise.
Keep it in your flat or sell it and get one with a removable battery.

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
375 'watts' (presumably you mean watt/hours) is just under 32Ah at 12VDC, you'll lose a bit as no system is 100% efficient so I'd estimate you'll use about 40Ah from your car battery so roughly half it's capacity.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This thread came back to life yesterday.

At the time we mocked energy recovery systems because generally on an EMTB there isn't the mass to recover the energy efficiently as there is with a car.

However, for the last 7 years a French company has been working on this and combining it with super capacitors.

Their first bike, available next year, has a small - approximately 50wh battery (650g), which can be charged with USB C in 1.5 hours. This is combined with the Super Capacitor and will theoretically give you a range of 30-70km's. Their bike is hub motored, but also has conventional SRAM brakes so I'm not sure how the energy recovery is working, presumably there's some sensors on the brake levers and the energy recovery kicks in first.

1698570993128.png

"The other advantage of supercapacitors is ecological. Durable, they are capable of lasting at least 15 years according to Anod. They also do not use rare earths or lithium and are only made of aluminum (100% recyclable) and coal. An appreciable environmental impact."

"However, this technology cannot store energy for a long time, and finds its limits at the start of a journey or on terrain with very low elevation."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles