Purion : % battery for each bar.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Having had a spesh with access to Blevo, I've got used to being able to see how much percentage battery I actually have left.

Bars are great for simplicity, the purion estimated range is generally accurate if you keep in mind terrain changes, but I still like to know the %

So rather than a kiox which I don't really like, I went for a volspeed. Every 4 seconds this shows your % in the range field.

I thought the bars weren't very linear, but they are.

4 bars 77%
3 bars 58%
2 bars 38%
1 bar 18%

Warning - assistance stops at 4% !!

I think the gen4 must have voltage compensation, so amps are increased as voltage drops/battery flattens. So whilst you might be getting similar percentages between bars, the power pixies being pulled out for each km are larger, so you get less range for each passing bar.

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On my Whyte with the Bosch CX and 625w/h battery I am used to seeing 5 full bars ( on the Purion) stay up for ages..........then when it goes to 4 bars it takes a lot less time to go down to three and the same applies below that...........so it does not seem in the least linear to me!!

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I think the gen4 must have voltage compensation, so amps are increased as voltage drops/battery flattens. So whilst you might be getting similar percentages between bars, the power pixies being pulled out for each km are larger, so you get less range for each passing bar.

That definitely seems to be the case?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ran it down today to flat. Interestingly assistance stopped at 4%.

As @Mikerb says, the range you get for each bar is far from linear, even if the %'s suggest it's not far off being so. My last three bars only lasted about half an hour on today's sloppy ride.

Need to test it with Vertical meters per bar really to give a real world indication - but just doing the same angle incline at the same speed for the test - which sounds very very boring ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think there was something about manufacturers being obliged to keep a certain percent available in case lights were connected to the motors.

Are you on Kiox or Purion ? I wonder if the % is reported differently or the different controllers were set differently. Or if it was 8% and it was changed to 4% via firmware updates ?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
It was a Kiox. Was nasty as we found we had to climb an extra 480 m to our hotel, which was advertised as 6km out of town. Turns out that was as the crow flies, and up a mountain pass. I had to push for way too long! It was a rude shock when I was trying to nurture my battery and thought that with 10% I would make it. Then it went rapidly from 10% to 8% then just turned off!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think there was something about manufacturers being obliged to keep a certain percent available in case lights were connected to the motors.

Are you on Kiox or Purion ? I wonder if the % is reported differently or the different controllers were set differently. Or if it was 8% and it was changed to 4% via firmware updates ?
Is your light activated? If you hold the plus button it shows a light icon on the display. If so then I believe the system reserves a specified amount of battery for reserve lighting (iirc 2 hours of light is law in Germany after battery no longer enough to power motor).

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is your light activated? If you hold the plus button it shows a light icon on the display. If so then I believe the system reserves a specified amount of battery for reserve lighting (iirc 2 hours of light is law in Germany after battery no longer enough to power motor).
Nope. Not that. I think you are correct though. Akiwi just said his stopped at 8% so maybe his was activated, though he's on Kiox - so it could be kiox/purion related to different amounts, or it could have been reduced from 8% to 4% via firmware updates over the last year.

If you hold plus for 4 seconds, then minus for 2 second then plus for 4 seconds again the little "flame" icon appears. It then doubles the power output in Turbo ..... or maybe not .... I have enough problems getting it to consistently change between odo/trip/range without it then randomly flipping back to assist mode instead all on it's own when it fancies it. Which is really annoying when I want to watch my battery % Probably user error.

Did you see Kiwiinwales efforts in last weeks totals on your forum group ... freekin mad man ..

Screenshot 2021-09-21 16.47.36.png

Some was on his indoor .. but mainly outdoor .. no lifts - which is normally the case when someone does decent climb rates.

I'm now 5000m behind on this months climb challenge and wondering if I can do that in one hit tomorrow .. Shoulders are a bit more mobile and tendon seems to be improving, but not sure if I have it in me to climb 5000m in a day.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Indoor climbing? Is he riding up and down his stairs? If not it’s bollox.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yes, I have lights on my bike.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've only run my battery down totally once, but in that instance the motor cut out when the kiox was displaying 2% battery remaining. as did a friends bike I was riding with (identical bike).

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
The 5 battery bars on the purion, what happens when it's close to running flat?
Will it literally go from 1 bar 20% to zero and no assistance? Or start flashing or something when getting low?
Quite keen not for it to suddenly go flat mid ride.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Will it literally go from 1 bar 20% to zero and no assistance? Or start flashing or something when getting low?
If you change the display to show "range", this is normally pretty accurate (if you take into account your average riding state, ie, going up hill for a period, the range shown will reduce).

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
It doesn't blink or anything. Just suddenly the power stops.
That is where the Shimano was perhaps better, it would turn red, then automatically switch to Eco for the last few KM.
On the Kiox, it starts giving you low battery warnings starting from 30%.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
It doesn't blink or anything. Just suddenly the power stops.
That is where the Shimano was perhaps better, it would turn red, then automatically switch to Eco for the last few KM.
On the Kiox, it starts giving you low battery warnings starting from 30%.

As of yesterday I can confirm .
The percentage bar drop isn't linear once you get to the last bar. I get 8 miles per 20% bar on the first 4.
The final bar should have got me home but assistance dropped then the bar flashed and went out pretty instantaneously after 4 miles.
Was a tough pedal home after work on a Friday with no assist :cautious:

And yes, the remaining miles on the display was accurate. I just chose not to believe it 😃

Last edited:

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
As of yesterday I can confirm .
The percentage bar drop isn't linear once you get to the last bar. I get 8 miles per 20% bar on the first 4.
The final bar should have got me home but assistance dropped then the bar flashed and went out pretty instantaneously after 4 miles.
Was a tough pedal home after work on a Friday with no assist :cautious:

And yes, the remaining miles on the display was accurate. I just chose not to believe it 😃
The 4 miles you lost are still in the battery, just not for your use. They system won't let the battery go to 0%.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles