Protecting my Levo '19

Azrael

Nov 30, 2019
Scotland
So I have sold the Jag and bought a Levo Expert 2019, which is the first bike I have had in 20 years (so I apologise in advance if I have very noob questions). I have had it Invisiframed (is that even a word). The bike will be used for commuting and not just on the trails, so I need to protect not just the bike but me as well. I have been reading the forum here to see what people have been using.

Going by what I have read I am planning to get 3 mudguards (yes it will be ugly, but I don't mind):
1. RRP Pro Guard Max for the front - as it is longer than the mudhugger I am guessing it will offer better protection.
2. Mudhugger FR for the rear (and I understand it will need to be trimmed for this).
3. Whilst the mudhugger should protect the bike from spray, I am guessing it doesn't protect me (and my suit), so I will need another rear (seat post?) muguard for that. I have no idea what are good for fitting to the Levo and would welcome any recommendations that people have.

Should I be applying any more helitape for where the zipties for attaching the mudguards will be or is the invisiframe sufficient?

I see people have also been using bashguards and Rockguardz appears to be the only option (Amygos only seem to do it for 2016-18 models, but I have emailed them to see if they do a 2019 version). Presumably the single piece downtube/bash guard is better (I think this is it here) as it seems that people have had issues with the bashplate staying on, but does anyone have any experience of the single piece version?

I also have a question about locks - not about what lock is "best" but rather the practicalities of locking up a bike with a large frame given the battery housing. I wonder whether standard size U-locks will be big enough to go round the frame as well what it is being locked to. So if anyone has any experience/recommedations in relation to this, let me know.

Also let me know if there are any other things I should be considering.

Thanks

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Welcome to the pleasure dome, hope the jag fetched good money. You show definite signs of PAS(parts acquisition syndrome. God help you.

G TURBO

Dec 2, 2019
London
I just got the rrp proguard bolt on on the front so I didn't have the zip ties around the forks. So far so good!

IMG_20191203_154837.jpg

IMG_20191203_154831.jpg

Azrael

Nov 30, 2019
Scotland
I just got the rrp proguard bolt on on the front so I didn't have the zip ties around the forks. So far so good!

View attachment 22910

View attachment 22911
Looks good. Do the bolts just tension fit in the grooves at the back of the fork, or you need to drill holes for the bolt to go through?
Also how do you find the protection from spray? The bolt on is shorter than the pro guard max (503mm vs 582mm according to their website)

ProMax front and a MudHugger 29er on the rear after recommendations on another thread. They seem to work pretty well after splashing through a few puddles I didn't notice any wetness. I think with the rear, any water that comes up just behind the guard, you leave behind as you ride forward.

P1040500.JPG

G TURBO

Dec 2, 2019
London
Yeah it just bolts onto the holes that are already there on the back of the forks. 5 min job using supplied Allen key and bolts specific for your forks. If you go on their website it should say if your forks are compatible or not. As for spray, I haven't really tested that aspect yet..

Azrael

Nov 30, 2019
Scotland
Yeah it just bolts onto the holes that are already there on the back of the forks. 5 min job using supplied Allen key and bolts specific for your forks. If you go on their website it should say if your forks are compatible or not. As for spray, I haven't really tested that aspect yet..

The expert has rockshox, so it doesn't fit on them. So that rules it out for me. Thanks for pointing out that though.

Azrael

Nov 30, 2019
Scotland
Have a look at litelok.
From what I've read it has pretty much the same internal area as a standard u-lock, but their newer wearable ones will be bigger. The lock I was planning to get comes in a longer size (30cm) so I think I will go for that.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
From what I've read it has pretty much the same internal area as a standard u-lock, but their newer wearable ones will be bigger. The lock I was planning to get comes in a longer size (30cm) so I think I will go for that.
Bit confused, a large litelok is 107.5cm. They offer a good deal on theft protection.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I’d agree with the rrp/mudhugger mudguards choices suggested above & have ordered one of Will H’s lower mudguard to sit underneath the mudhugger. I always use lots of electrical tape under where any zip ties are used

I do love the look of that amygos bash guard (they do a 2019/2030 Levo version) but unless your riding lots of rocky trails where rocks might flick up, I’ve yet to come close to hitting my motor in anything in 6months.

As for locks, you can never spend enough in my book. Ppl happily spend £5k+ on a bike then can’t bring themselves to spend even 10% of that on security wont need replacing for long after the bike has moved on. I know there not portable but 19mm link sized chains (almax or pragmasis not crap from The hardware shop), decent locks & ground anchors are (or were) an investment to me. Yes thieves will get it if they really want it, but you need to make it as hard for them as possible for them. As for portability, don’t bother? Just get another chain to leave at work & don’t leave it outside the fricken shops

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
An old bashguard thread with some recent updates.. The aluminium Berkshire one looks nice IMO :

Which bashguard for my Turbo Levo - comparison / thoughts on Rockguards & Amygos Protection. - EMTB Forums

For a rear mudguard, the long long 1970's Cadillac Mudhugger guard probably gives the best rider protection, but you either like the look or hate the look.

For when I'm mud-plugging I normally stick a cube guard on the back for extra protection, with a mudhugger race "protecting" the linkages - in reality this works semi ok. It rises as the suspension moves, so a gap opens up at the bottom and crap still gets through and piles up above the bottom linkage. This is where something like Will's guard (mentioned above) would be a huge advantage on a levo.

Aesthetically, I think most rear guards which will keep the rider clean(ish) look crap :)

guard.jpg

The front mudhugger keeps 99.9% of the crap out of your face and off the forks, but as you can see, it doesn't protect the rest of the bike that much.

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
So I have sold the Jag and bought a Levo Expert 2019, which is the first bike I have had in 20 years (so I apologise in advance if I have very noob questions). I have had it Invisiframed (is that even a word). The bike will be used for commuting and not just on the trails, so I need to protect not just the bike but me as well. I have been reading the forum here to see what people have been using.

Going by what I have read I am planning to get 3 mudguards (yes it will be ugly, but I don't mind):
1. RRP Pro Guard Max for the front - as it is longer than the mudhugger I am guessing it will offer better protection.
2. Mudhugger FR for the rear (and I understand it will need to be trimmed for this).
3. Whilst the mudhugger should protect the bike from spray, I am guessing it doesn't protect me (and my suit), so I will need another rear (seat post?) muguard for that. I have no idea what are good for fitting to the Levo and would welcome any recommendations that people have.

Should I be applying any more helitape for where the zipties for attaching the mudguards will be or is the invisiframe sufficient?

I see people have also been using bashguards and Rockguardz appears to be the only option (Amygos only seem to do it for 2016-18 models, but I have emailed them to see if they do a 2019 version). Presumably the single piece downtube/bash guard is better (I think this is it here) as it seems that people have had issues with the bashplate staying on, but does anyone have any experience of the single piece version?

I also have a question about locks - not about what lock is "best" but rather the practicalities of locking up a bike with a large frame given the battery housing. I wonder whether standard size U-locks will be big enough to go round the frame as well what it is being locked to. So if anyone has any experience/recommedations in relation to this, let me know.

Also let me know if there are any other things I should be considering.

Thanks

Amygos do these for 2019 Levo ,excellent fit .

DAAC0521-D837-4715-B3A5-498A80B70EC6.jpeg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Yes that's the wearable ones, not the original version. Have you used one? If so what's your views on their practicality?
Pretty good. Goes round frame and through wheel (theft protection requirement) with quite a bit spare to secure the bike to a fixed point. Wearing it is pretty comfy and means you don't have too dig around in a pack and can take it on trail rides.

Parrychops

Sep 24, 2019
London
Re locks, I don’t know where you’re based but I am in Central London and I have had 3 mopeds stolen in broad daylight where they have used angle grinders. No lock is theft proof. I would take your pride and joy inside with you wherever possible and lock. I use this and apparently the square I Lock’s are twist proof which means they have to angle grind twice rather than once. It may take another 15 mins or so! Sorry to be negative but I’ve just had bad experiences! Abus Granit-54 X-Plus D-Lock - Black, 23cm

Azrael

Nov 30, 2019
Scotland
Amygos do these for 2019 Levo ,excellent fit .

View attachment 22945

Chris - is that two pieces - one for the downtube and one for the motore and did you get both together?

I’d agree with the rrp/mudhugger mudguards choices suggested above & have ordered one of Will H’s lower mudguard to sit underneath the mudhugger. I always use lots of electrical tape under where any zip ties are used

z1ppy - which mudhugger are you using? Is it this one? If you can post a pic that would be great. I was planning on getting this one and cutting it Sam Hill style for the back, which according to Will H in that thread won't work with his product. Curious to know how your setup works as I might reconsider what I was planning.

Re locks, I don’t know where you’re based but I am in Central London and I have had 3 mopeds stolen in broad daylight where they have used angle grinders. No lock is theft proof. I would take your pride and joy inside with you wherever possible and lock. I use this and apparently the square I Lock’s are twist proof which means they have to angle grind twice rather than once. It may take another 15 mins or so! Sorry to be negative but I’ve just had bad experiences! Abus Granit-54 X-Plus D-Lock - Black, 23cm

As for locks, you can never spend enough in my book. Ppl happily spend £5k+ on a bike then can’t bring themselves to spend even 10% of that on security wont need replacing for long after the bike has moved on. I know there not portable but 19mm link sized chains (almax or pragmasis not crap from The hardware shop), decent locks & ground anchors are (or were) an investment to me. Yes thieves will get it if they really want it, but you need to make it as hard for them as possible for them. As for portability, don’t bother? Just get another chain to leave at work & don’t leave it outside the fricken shops

I was planning on getting an Abus Granit x-plus 540 which comes in a 30cm variant (not sure what the difference between it and the 54 model, i think the 540 might be newer). I hadn't considered getting two non portable locks but that might be a good idea - what length of chain do you use and do you hook it through both wheels and the frame?

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
z1ppy - which mudhugger are you using? Is it this one? If you can post a pic that would be great. I was planning on getting this one and cutting it Sam Hill style for the back, which according to Will H in that thread won't work with his product. Curious to know how your setup works as I might reconsider what I was planning.

I have the medium rear mudhugger (bought when it was the biggest they sold), it look desperate but works, though I will have to buy the extender to make it better & am waiting for the Will H guard, as I'd have used a RRP enduroguard otherwise. I did try the front mudhugger on the rear, like Sam Hill but as it only protected the pivot area I removed it and fitted up front, which is where it is best suiteed, as I could fit a RRP enduroguard to do a similar job (Again before Will H's mudguard appeared) to protect the pivot and do feck all for my own rear end...

I was planning on getting an Abus Granit x-plus 540 which comes in a 30cm variant (not sure what the difference between it and the 54 model, i think the 540 might be newer). I hadn't considered getting two non portable locks but that might be a good idea - what length of chain do you use and do you hook it through both wheels and the frame?

I bought a 2m chain (2nd hand bargain) but use it to lock a number of bike up, in such a way that the lock is off the floor but goes though all the main frames (with cloths to stop scratching) & a ground anchor. I use other locks to add more security for the wheels/forks, though I'm not rushing to detail all my precautions on an open forum.. I don't leave my ebike anywhere else, so can't comment on more portable solutions or an exact length of chain to use to protect all the parts (use a piece of string to get a rough measurement?)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles