Power smashed through the roof

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK
Battery firmware X.22.3 in MC1.2 = X.16.3 in MC2.0 (replaced in August 2018)
Battery firmware X.23.1 in MC1.2 = X.17.1 in MC2.0 (Current version - required to enable infinite tune)

The reason for the difference between MC1.2 and 2.0 FW version numbers is that MC1.2 displays FW in decimal format and MC2.0 displays in hexidecimal. Completely understand that this is confusing - ultimately using MC2.0 (hexidecimal i.e X.17.1) is all that you need to trust.

@Jon Hill your bike will benefit from a battery update. However I strongly recommend that your retailer also forces a motor update. This will ensure that if your previous motor FW loaded incorrectly (read through this entire thread to understand the context) then this will be corrected.
Great, thanks. Hex, hah, obvious when you know! It went in today and they said they would force the motor too, though as I was seeing 19A battery current, it seems like is ok.

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK
UPDATE: I got my battery fw updated from 10.22.3 to the latest 10.23.1. They didn’t force the motor fw despite me requesting it as it was already on 5.0.4, but having seen 19A I don’t believe I have any issues there. My bike now feels a lot stronger on 20/100 and I can keep up with my friend when he uses this level of assistance, whereas previously I needed more like 40/100.

It should be noted that previously, despite needing bigger numbers to keep up, our battery usage was the same to within 1%, so I imagine I am not getting anything for free, but it is nice to get to the bottom of the discrepancy.

I also tried 35/35 but found that I was falling behind again, and was also using more battery than him.

Had a great ride at Cwmcarn, Wales, today.

Stumpy Stevo

May 4, 2019
Forest of Dean
I have a 1.2 motor (c911) with 5.4.0 Fw. Only getting max 560w and pulling 14 amps. This was a replacement motor and feels much slower than the original. I didn't note the specs for the original motor though unfortunately. Is there an update / fix for c911 motor or am I stuck with a low powered bike now?

TomP

May 4, 2018
Belgium
Hello, I need some FW advise. I have a Turbo Levo 2018 with the 1.3 motor. I recently bought a 2nd battery. My old battery has 10.22.3 and the new battery has 10.23.1. When adapting the same settings in Blevo as on my old battery (and the pp setting on 100%) I noticed that the bike was more powerfull than with FW 10.22.3. and the same Blevo settings. Is this possible ? My motor still has 5.0.0. Should I update to 5.0.4 and why ?

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Hello, I need some FW advise. I have a Turbo Levo 2018 with the 1.3 motor. I recently bought a 2nd battery. My old battery has 10.22.3 and the new battery has 10.23.1. When adapting the same settings in Blevo as on my old battery (and the pp setting on 100%) I noticed that the bike was more powerfull than with FW 10.22.3. and the same Blevo settings. Is this possible ? My motor still has 5.0.0. Should I update to 5.0.4 and why ?
Could just be the fresh battery delivers higher current when required, especially a fully charged one.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Maybe I missed it but does anyone have the output numbers for the 1.2 on the hardtail, how much power loss compared to 1.3 on 2018 Levo? thanks.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
P=U*I. U is at highest point when battery is full. I think driver allows 20A current at maximum, no matter about firmware. Voltage level drops when power is required from motor. So 790W/20A= 39,5V. Full charged battery is over 40V without load but it drops when loaded. And in this case 790W is not motor output power. It is power consumption from battery. I think you all should not be so worryed about watt readings.

Reactions: Koo

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
P=U*I. U is at highest point when battery is full. I think driver allows 20A current at maximum, no matter about firmware. Voltage level drops when power is required from motor. So 790W/20A= 39,5V. Full charged battery is over 40V without load but it drops when loaded. And in this case 790W is not motor output power. It is power consumption from battery. I think you all should not be so worryed about watt readings.

spot on.

TMS

Apr 7, 2019
Finland
I assume that the motor can produce more torque and power if you could feed more power to it. But then we have cooling problems and efffiency issues, low range etc. I think specialized/brose, as many other manufacturers, have ended the right setup and settings. If you have only a moped you can't drive to the moon.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
While playing with mission control I had a go up a steepish hillcand recorded current and it only got up to 15.20amp. Does that mean Ive got the dodgy motor firmware and need to visit my LBS to update to specialized firmware?

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
While playing with mission control I had a go up a steepish hillcand recorded current and it only got up to 15.20amp. Does that mean Ive got the dodgy motor firmware and need to visit my LBS to update to specialized firmware?

Yes

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Final confirmation, the update is for 1.2e motors too?

I've messaged the local shop where I purchased the bike. Presumably its a "5 minute" fix to update the firmware.

I checked with my (fantastic) LBS and they've confirmed it should be checked and updated. I'll drop the bike off to them and they'll plug it in and update.

So whats the difference in power? Is it light and day going from Brose stock to Specialized firmware? I was already thoroughly impressed with my Levo.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Final confirmation, the update is for 1.2e motors too?

Hi @Sandy - 1.2e motors are eco-tuned, limited to 15amps and paired with smalled batteries to give better range on a lighter bike. If you have a 1.2e motor then your bike is performing to specification and you shouldn't worry.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Hi @Sandy - 1.2e motors are eco-tuned, limited to 15amps and paired with smalled batteries to give better range on a lighter bike. If you have a 1.2e motor then your bike is performing to specification and you shouldn't worry.

Pants! Wish I'd seen that before I contacted my LBS after the previous comments. :/ Bike is in getting diagnostics as we speak.

I'm going to look like a right turnip when they call me back.

Final final check, 1.2e motor is the one they use on the base Levo Turbo HT?

Hopefully these post updates will help out others like me from make potatoes of themselves.

Sandy

Jun 5, 2019
Scotland
Well the Levo HT is back. LBS had problems flashing the motor firmware so they called specialized and after a couple of days managed to force the firmware to the bike.

Feels much the same as before. Maybe a smidge better. But blevo shows 594w max output. Still happy with that on my "poverty" model.
Screenshot_20190624_203943_com.dopa.android.blevo.jpg

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Can anyone help me with my issue?

So i had my motor replaced under warranty (Kenevo 1.3 motor) its running the latest firmware as is the battery also, the old motor was also running the latest firmware (5.0.4)

I'm getting 20amps and in Blevo i can get a maximum 790w

So all looks good but.....

It dosent pull as good as it used to, it feels like i have to put more effort in, espcially from a standing start

Jumped on my mates 19 Levo and it gives you a kick and powers away like mine used to before the motor swap, i know the 19 Levo has 10w more than the Kenevo but with my old motor it pulled like the Levo

Any ideas as to why?

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK
@Specialized Rider Care I just had my 2018 Turbo Levo motor f/w updated from 5.0.4 to 7.1.1. The battery f/w remains unchanged at 10.23.1

What can I expect from this update? Are there any release notes for this update?

TIA,
Jon

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Specialized Rider Care I just had my 2018 Turbo Levo motor f/w updated from 5.0.4 to 7.1.1. The battery f/w remains unchanged at 10.23.1

What can I expect from this update? Are there any release notes for this update?

TIA,
Jon
I take it this was in a Spesh shop and not a random over the air update ?

Seems like quite a jump in firmware numbers. I take it you have the 1.3 motor ?

If you cycle the power and re-connect in Mission Control does it still say 7.1.1 ??

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK
I take it this was in a Spesh shop and not a random over the air update ?

Yes, when the bike was serviced by the dealer I bought it from. I didn't think Specialized did OTA updates, is this a new thing?
Seems like quite a jump in firmware numbers. I take it you have the 1.3 motor ?
Yes.
If you cycle the power and re-connect in Mission Control does it still say 7.1.1 ??
The version is always 7.1.1 after power cycling, on both versions of Mission Control I have installed on my phone.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yes, when the bike was serviced by the dealer I bought it from. I didn't think Specialized did OTA updates, is this a new thing?

As far as I know they don't, but The app's quite big so I've always wondered if they had it in there as an option they might use in the future .. I was also working on the theory that if you knew a shop had done the update, they would have told you what they'd updated and what implications there might be.

It will be interesting to know what the new version does though .... :)

Niner09

Feb 3, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Just got my 18’ kenevo 1.3 motor replaced under warranty and it came back with this new firmware as well. I don’t see any changes on the tuning app off the bat. Doing a big ride Sunday and will find out if anything feels different. Hopefully only for the better if so. ?

Might be firmware updates to block outside tuning apps. ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Might be firmware updates to block outside tuning apps. ?

I'd be surprised if they locked out external apps. One of the things a lot of Spesh purchasers like is the ability to use third party apps to tweak things and use custom/variable assistance. (like Blevo / E-genesis EVA)

I think it's more likely that Spesh will work more closely in the future with app developers to ensure they're working correctly and not causing any issues, rather than locking them out of the eco system.

If you lock them out, people just find more complex ways around things and end up installing complete custom firmwares (like E-genesis EDEN alternate TCU)- which is only more likely to cause system failures/warranty claims.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Regarding Levo motor firmware questions, hope this helps.

Gen 1 Levo motors (Brose 1.2 & 1.3) will now update to 7.1.1 as from November 2019 - these motors are used on 2016-18 Levo and 2018-19 Kenevo. Compared to the previous firmware versions 5.x.x there are very small improvements that Brose have made over the last year or so, namely slightly smoother cut off at the speed limit & more intuitive handling of bumps/pedal-strikes. The motor is now completely off at 0% support in Mission Control (a few riders previously mentioned that they wanted to be able to set ECO mode with the motor support at 0%). The benefits to the rider are small, hence we won't make a rider-facing announcement - however we'd be interested to know if riders that have updated believe the changes are perceptible. Worth pointing out that there are no changes to power delivery or acceleration response. (Note that there is no update for the 1.2e motors used in Levo HT and Kenevo Comp)

Gen 2 Levo motors (Brose 2.1) remain at firmware version 6.1.0 and there are no plans to update, we're happy with performance.

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK

Gen 1 Levo motors (Brose 1.2 & 1.3) will now update to 7.1.1 as from November 2019 - these motors are used on 2016-18 Levo and 2018-19 Kenevo. Compared to the previous firmware versions 5.x.x there are very small improvements that Brose have made over the last year or so, namely slightly smoother cut off at the speed limit & more intuitive handling of bumps/pedal-strikes. The motor is now completely off at 0% support in Mission Control (a few riders previously mentioned that they wanted to be able to set ECO mode with the motor support at 0%). The benefits to the rider are small, hence we won't make a rider-facing announcement - however we'd be interested to know if riders that have updated believe the changes are perceptible. Worth pointing out that there are no changes to power delivery or acceleration response. (Note that there is no update for the 1.2e motors used in Levo HT and Kenevo Comp)

Gen 2 Levo motors (Brose 2.1) remain at firmware version 6.1.0 and there are no plans to update, we're happy with performance.
Thanks for the update, as always good to get it from the horse's mouth. It sounds like nothing to worry about (I think everyone these days is conditionded to worry about firmware updates, I am certainly very cautious with my devices).

Once I've had a chance to get some miles on the bike I'll report back my impressions.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Thanks for info. Hope it still works with BLevo app.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles