Poor Battery Range Bosch 750

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Possibly, or the system has now had enough rides and data to more accurately predict range. After all, the calculation is just a ‘best guess’ based on the information it has to go on.

The more data it has the better the prediction.
I may be wrong but my experience is that the only data it uses is the most recent mileage registered in the trip. On mine if I do a reset after fully charging the battery, I always get the same (highly optimistic) predicted range.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I'm around 80 kg too. I have Maxxis Minion DHF at the rear and Assegai at the front.

More or less the same here, I've never drained the battery below 40% and I've charged it maybe 5/6 times. My bike has traveled 155 km total.
And yes, it clearly got a lot better with time, when it was brand new the display was giving me less than 50 km (30 mi) on Eco on a full charge.
But did you reset it? If not, it’ll be working out the range based on what is in your last trip (or trips if you didn’t reset). I just reset my bike and my wife’s bike (identical Bosch bikes 4 years old and 5000k) and both said 164k in eco! However, I know as soon as I set off, unless freewheeling downhill, in which case, the range will go up further), the range will decrease very rapidly - 10 minutes of turbo and 300m of ascent could see one third of range wiped out. Keep riding uphill, the range will stabilise and only gradually go down as battery depletes. Reduce the gradient, reduce speed, put more effort in and the system will recalculate - quite clever. On my mountain bike I have a Brose motor and a farming edge to show battery percentage. I can cycle up to the village one kilometre and go down to 90% or do a 15k ride down to the valley and still have 90% left. I only really think if range in terms of ascent (about 1000m on my 500w batter).

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
By the way - and this is a somewhat playful (but-not-really) advice - my life got a LOT easier when I decided, after the latest Bosch sw update, to show the clock instead of the battery percentage indicator in the upper left corner of the display, as you can see in my previous post.

Really, this may seem a silly thing to say, but ditching the battery charge indicator helped me in focusing on more pleasant aspects of riding, without constantly worrying about battery drain and range.
The five (actually ten) LEDs on the left hand controller are more than enough to keep things under control, at the same time they don't have the "anxiety factor" I got from the percentage.

But of course... "your mileage may vary" :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Yeah that’s a good idea that, cheers

conman

Jun 1, 2019
Keswick
Unless I have got this wrong, I always thought that the range calculation was highly dependent on what you have been doing.

I think that's correct. When I bought my first emtb about 5 years ago it had a bosch motor and I was told the range shown is an estimate based on the previous 2 miles. Maybe the latest motors use more data to estimate the range.

jempezen

Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
For me the range of my cube seem to be fine... But it's my first emtb so i don't no...
I have started with a battery that was not fully charged. I ended with 4% battery
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg

jempezen

Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
The display say me 100% but i was recharging the battery outside the bike and it's was blinking. for me i would have to wait a half hour more for the full charge. Not the first time that the display say 100% with a not fully charged battery.
I was a little bit tide today so i use a lot of emtb and turbo some times...

nandewar

Aug 13, 2020
Australia
I have recently upgraded to a Focus Thron2 from a 2018 Trek Powerfly. I have a regular ride that I used to check battery degradation in the Trek - it has done 11,000 km with 110 recharge cycles. I was still getting a calculated range of 130km on that ride. On the first charge of the Focus I got a similar range and I wasn't a happy rider. I have checked again on the second charge and got a calculated range of 210km. That put a smile on my face considering the heavier bike and more aggressive tyres and more powerful motor. I also had 2 extra gears to play with plus less resistance when pedalling sans power.
I don't use power if I don't need it. I gotta burn calories so I can keep drinking beer.:)

Morton027

Jun 3, 2019
Worcestershire
I’ve been cycling fairly flat stuff this week, eco only in the Forest (gravel tracks) and on road, and managed 52 miles with 54% battery remaining. To say the least this surprised me.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have done c 200 miles on my Whyte E160 RSX so far. I pay no attention to range predictions which are laregely meaningless, but I have done a good mix of rides in that 200 miles which gives me an indication of the likely total battery range. My rides are mostly singletrack with minimal or no tarmac miles and vary between c 12 miles if in the forest sessioning specific runs or c 20 miles if it is a XC type ride. Regardless I tend mostly to be in EMTB with short sections of turbo for some steep climbs ( although emtb in a low gear does many of them). Overall I would estimate the reliable maximum range was 45 to 50 miles, probably more if I needed to stretch it using tour plus. Virtually everywhere has been dry and rock hard recently and the XC rides have enabled 24f/26r tyre pressures ( 29er Assegai ECO+ front/ DHR11 DD rear) whereas for forest rides I use 21/23.
Come winter time with softer trails and mud etc, I expect 40 to 45 miles to be a reasonable maximum. ( ps I dont use ECO or turn the motor off..........I paid good money for the motor and battery...so I use it! :p)

Initially the battery did seem to kill the first 5% and then 10% quite quickly but it has had 2 or 3 full charges now and the battery decline seems to be more linear now.

Keep in mind the main battery is not only providing power to the motor but also charging the LED Remote battery and keeping constant blu tooth comms with the phone ( e.g. Kiox 300 can tell you at any time the level of charge in your phone when on a ride , and combining bike ride data with phone gps info.)

michael.kozera

New Dad ! 👶
Feb 3, 2021
calgary
rule of thumb. on average, people get 1km per 10wh

aka 500wh should net you around 50km's

---------------------------------------------

if you are riding very conservatively, most people will get about 100km's for 500wh.

------------------------------------------

or if you are riding alot of mountain's / hills, 500wh will net you around 25km's.

-----------------------------

my 1,600wh pack i have drained in as little as 38km's however the same pack once netted me almost 400km's. it really depends on how/who/what/where you ride.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I have no idea about distance, elevation, i only use an old 5$ watch.
After 3 years on Ebikes i found most can be drained in 70 minutes
or stretched to 4 Hrs.
Being a light weight rider i can do 90 minutes to 5 Hrs with my 500Wh.
I moved close to the trails so i can do morning rides recharge while i eat
and go riding again. It is like having a 900Wh range wich is great in winter
at minus 20.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles