Poor Battery Range Bosch 750

Marcharry

Mar 14, 2022
England
If you’re permanently using EMTB then that will definitely reduce your range. My ride was around 6 miles in Eco and 16 in Tour+, vastly different power usage.
yes he make 83 tour :) in two time. first 50% battery 54,4 km, second 50% battery 39,9 km all in default turbo mode...
But without a clear comparaison with another a smaller battery it's lake a comparaison. And it's don't say so much on real life...
Thanks for clarifying, it does look like a flat road test too so You would expect better range. I think the only true test is to put two bikes in a like for like scenario , weight, distance, temperature & hills ECT. I’ve done this & clearly the new 750 underperformed. I understand the Gen 4 motor will probably use slightly more battery than the gen 2 but when Bosch advertise the new smart system they make a point of stating the bigger batter it will go much further when it clearly doesn’t.🤔

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Again and again they are selling dreams.
Bigger # = bigger price, it works for them.
Some say the 750Wh do not deliver,
some say the 250-300Wh extenders do not deliver.
Who did a smart review and warned potential buyers?????

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
I ride three different ebikes. I have 500,625, 700, and even a 240wh aux for the 625. All I can say is that the larger batteries don’t give me proportionately more mileage than the 500wh one. Was pretty annoying to me for a long time but that’s just the way it is. I suspect that the larger batteries don’t really release all of their rated power. It’s like buying a lawn mower with a 3.5 HP engine that has labels on it saying 7 peak HP.

malc101

Nov 29, 2021
Upstate, NY
Again and again they are selling dreams.
Bigger # = bigger price, it works for them.
Some say the 750Wh do not deliver,
some say the 250-300Wh extenders do not deliver.
Who did a smart review and warned potential buyers?????
With leg power I’m getting 60miles/6000ft of fire road riding across different bikes. Battery size seems less important than using the lowest setting you can bare and keeping a high cadence. Hard tire inflation and lack of goopy mud also will give the most range. I put 30lbs in my plus size tires.

jempezen

Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
An interessing article from bikeradar compare the different motor and feel that bosh give more power assist and a very good and natural assist but on regard on efficiency i noted something:

"The Bosch’s battery life was affected by multiple factors. On a Purion-equipped bike with DoubleDown casing, MaxxGrip Maxxis tyres in eco mode, more than 2,000m of climbing was regularly achievable, even in terrible weather conditions.

However, on a Kiox 300 Smart System bike with a larger 750Wh battery, on a bike fitted with DH casing MaxxGrip Maxxis tyres, only 1,700m of ascending was just about attainable."
Shimano vs Bosch vs Brose vs Yamaha

For now there is now scientific comparaison on motor and battery but it seem that some finger point to a weakness from this new battery system...

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Did this tour today on tour+ mostly. Last 20km i went on emtb because why not :)

Quite happy with these numbers tbh
Cube hybrid stereo Actionteam 140, changed tires to nobby nic and made em tubeless

Screenshot_20220501-125646_Flow.jpg

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Did this tour today on tour+ mostly. Last 20km i went on emtb because why not :)

Quite happy with these numbers tbh
Cube hybrid stereo Actionteam 140, changed tires to nobby nic and made em tubeless

View attachment 87275
I only speak french and english. I undertand you did 58.6 kms in just over 3 Hrs but many words i have no clue what they mean.
Maybe your cadence was 73 on average? ???
What is your opinion about the Nobby Nic?

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
Was 1235m elevation avg speed abt 20km/h
Tires are good. Roll alot better then the original big betty and magic mary. For non enduro stuff they were overkill anyway...
I ride normal trails and the Nobby Nics do just fine for now. Only did 3 rides with them so far...

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Was 1235m elevation avg speed abt 20km/h
Tires are good. Roll alot better then the original big betty and magic mary. For non enduro stuff they were overkill anyway...
I ride normal trails and the Nobby Nics do just fine for now. Only did 3 rides with them so far...

How much battery left after that ride?

tommygun

Apr 3, 2022
Rome

That's actually not bad at all! Worst that my old CX+500w, but still very good IMO.

My new bike says that kind of mileage is not achievable with a 100% charge, not even on Eco. But it's pretty clear now that the expected range given by the Kiox 300 is BS. :)

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
That's actually not bad at all! Worst that my old CX+500w, but still very good IMO.

My new bike says that kind of mileage is not achievable with a 100% charge, not even on Eco. But it's pretty clear now that the expected range given by the Kiox 300 is BS. :)

Yeah. also, it takes a few charges once it got 'reliable'
and changed tires to something better rolling + tubeless :)
bike is now 1kg lighter, lol

think i can do about 90-100km locally (abt 700-900 altitude meters)
but ardennes about 70-80'ish km (1400-1500 altitude meters)

antoinelc

Feb 25, 2022
FR
Yeah. also, it takes a few charges once it got 'reliable'
and changed tires to something better rolling + tubeless :)
bike is now 1kg lighter, lol

think i can do about 90-100km locally (abt 700-900 altitude meters)
but ardennes about 70-80'ish km (1400-1500 altitude meters)
That’s great numbers, thanks for sharing! Just got my AT140 last week and will try also to see the limit.
You believe in eMTB all the way would burn much more ?
Also, the kg saved is from the tires ?

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
That’s great numbers, thanks for sharing! Just got my AT140 last week and will try also to see the limit.
You believe in eMTB all the way would burn much more ?
Also, the kg saved is from the tires ?
EMTB seems to be more agressive yes. i usually put it on tour+ for most of the ride, when i feel my knees coming in to play ( my reason to have the EMTB) i put it to EMTB if i feel i have enough range...

First rides 100-50% will deplete fast, then 50-20% slower and 20-5% will go even slower
realistic values will start to come after about 4-5 charges. don't charge the bike when it's 50%, instead try to run for another ride the day after or so...
try to get as less as you dare :)

tires were about 800gr difference with original big betty/magic mary on the 140AT, remove tubes and save another 150-200'ish ?

Last edited:

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
EMTB seems to be more agressive yes. i usually put it on tour+ for most of the ride, when i feel my knees coming in to play ( my reason to have the EMTB) i put it to EMTB if i feel i have enough range...

First rides 100-50% will deplete fast, then 50-20% slower and 20-5% will go even slower
realistic values will start to come after about 4-5 charges. don't charge the bike when it's 50%, instead try to run for another ride the day after or so...
try to get as less as you dare :)

tires were about 800gr difference with original big betty/magic mary on the 140AT, remove tubes and save another 150-200'ish ?
I’ve done approx 34 miles from 100-% on a 750 battery, battery now down to 35 %.
Bosch emailed me today …See pic
My battery drains rapid, even after 1mile , it starts to drop.quite frustrating after spending £5300 on an new eBike with Bosch smart systems. Really hope Bosch get there’s arsed into gear , and get this update sorted ASAP

78A4932D-7D71-43BF-9963-50F2EC13C186.png

BA26267F-53AB-4945-B8E8-E55523EA1F18.png

Hanzzzie

Sep 4, 2021
Belgium
I’ve done approx 34 miles from 100-% on a 750 battery, battery now down to 35 %.
Bosch emailed me today …See pic
My battery drains rapid, even after 1mile , it starts to drop.quite frustrating after spending £5300 on an new eBike with Bosch smart systems. Really hope Bosch get there’s arsed into gear , and get this update sorted ASAP

View attachment 87370

View attachment 87371
How many charges did you do? I bet you get another 10miles easy from 35% to 0
Will be more after that. Battery needs to settle a bit too i heard

Did you also do the latest update?

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
How many charges did you do? I bet you get another 10miles easy from 35% to 0
Will be more after that. Battery needs to settle a bit too i heard

Did you also do the latest update?
Yeah I did the latest update that came out a couple weeks ago, think I’ve done 4 full charges.
If you go on the range calculator from Bosch , even with worse case scenarios , start up eco mileage is 77 for my weight and how I ride.
There’s a guy on here quoted he was 100 kg, and he’s done 69 miles and still had 23% left.
In comparison with my old bike, 500wh battery, there’s no way my battery % would drop as rapid as this new bike .

tommygun

Apr 3, 2022
Rome
I'm happy to report that my Kiox is apparently "adjusting its aim": the more I use the bike, the longer seems to be the estimated mileage I get with 100% battery.
I have roughly 250km of total distance rode on the bike, and it says that I have nearly 80 km of juice in Eco with a 100% battery, much more than when the bike was brand new.

This is of course just an estimate I hadn't the chance of verifying, since my typical trip is around 30/50 km and I use a varying set of assistance levels, including no assistance at all, but the trend in the Bosch calculation is very clear: is getting more optimistic the more I use it.
This may also be a consequence of the recent firmware update, I don't know... but so far, so good. :)

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
I'm happy to report that my Kiox is apparently "adjusting its aim": the more I use the bike, the longer seems to be the estimated mileage I get with 100% battery.
I have roughly 250km of total distance rode on the bike, and it says that I have nearly 80 km of juice in Eco with a 100% battery, much more than when the bike was brand new.

This is of course just an estimate I hadn't the chance of verifying, since my typical trip is around 30/50 km and I use a varying set of assistance levels, including no assistance at all, but the trend in the Bosch calculation is very clear: is getting more optimistic the more I use it.
This may also be a consequence of the recent firmware update, I don't know... but so far, so good. :)
Thanks , what’s your total range mileage at 100% in eco , before you start a ride ? Cheers

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
Mine was 140 today lol. But drove some flat shit before that :p
I’m lucky if mine says 50 miles at start up at 100% in eco , What sort of eBike you have? Spoke with my bike shop and they say it’s good! My mate has an eBike, 625 battery , his start up range is 83 !!! I’ve done 200 miles on the bike so far , and the ranges don’t really alter after a full charge. Bosch say they are aware of it and had a few complaints, but no fix yet. Pay 5 grand for a bike with bigger battery, and it’s no better than my 500 wh.

tommygun

Apr 3, 2022
Rome
I’m lucky if mine says 50 miles at start up at 100% in eco

That's actually the same as mine, since I get around 80 km.

Anyway, it's clear that the mileage estimate of the system is constantly trying to adjust itself on God-only-knows what parameters :p, but the bottom line is that (at least for now) I'm getting plenty of juice for my average trip, and I'm now much more relaxed about it.

Coming from a previous generation Bosch bike that was promising 100+ km on Eco on full charge, I was very upset to see that a newer model with a bigger battery capacity only displayed less than half that much! Now I know it was lying to me. :)

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
That's actually the same as mine, since I get around 80 km.

Anyway, it's clear that the mileage estimate of the system is constantly trying to adjust itself on God-only-knows what parameters :p, but the bottom line is that (at least for now) I'm getting plenty of juice for my average trip, and I'm now much more relaxed about it.

Coming from a previous generation Bosch bike that was promising 100+ km on Eco on full charge, I was very upset to see that a newer model with a bigger battery capacity only displayed less than half that much! Now I know it was lying to me. :)
The point is a few years ago many Ebikes had 70nm now many have 85nm so they cannot be compared.
More power with more energy gives about the same range.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
This thread is quite worrying as I’m just about to pull the trigger on a new bike as i was beginning to feel the restriction in range with my 500w battery on my four year old Kenevo, especially riding with mates who have got 650 or 700 batteries who have loads left when I’ve run out and I have to have the indignity of being towed! Today, I rode my Kenevo from Domodosola in Italy to Locarno in Switzerland, a distance of about 48k with about 600m of ascent. I started with 90% as my battery seldom fully charges and finished with about 10%. Although this was all on tarmac and I did pump my tyres up a bit. On the uphill and flat I used a mixture of 30% and 60%, which are my settings for eco and trail. This is with a Brose motor which produces more torque than the Bosch. BTW, my average speed was 23kph Although I’m quite light I’m neither fit or strong.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles