Pole Voima 190mm Travel EMTB

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
So.... How many km have you clocked on your Voima? i'm 5 weeks in and at 350km.
Somebody out there will have smashed thousands. Whose going to take the win for most Voima km?

D3xt3rMTB

Subscriber
Mar 16, 2021
UK
Hey, Any other Voima owners riding in the rain/crud/mud?

It's the middle of winter here and pretty much every ride is muddy and wet.
I'm finding the voima Battery compartment sealing to be poor and the vertical charge port lets crap in even when pushed down.

Have any of you guys added additional sealing methods to keep the weather out of the battery and charge ports?
I'm wondering about electrical grease in the charge port. But that will be a nightmare if dirt gets mixed in with the grease.
Added some 2mm sticky sided neoprene around the battery compartment to stop the same during last winters riding. Definitely helped keep the crap out of it. Bought a sheet off amazon for a couple of ££ and just cut really thin strips out of it. If you've a poor fit on the cover also check your cable alignment running through the battery compartment. One of mine wasn't quite routed right (wasn't running fully down the side of the compartment) and would still allow the battery to fit but it was creating a bigger gap than there should have been between frame and cover. No issues with the charger port though - that's always spotless.

Main issue from winter riding was to the frame protection. It's lifted in quite a few places with mud & water getting underneath it.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
So.... How many km have you clocked on your Voima? i'm 5 weeks in and at 350km.
Somebody out there will have smashed thousands. Whose going to take the win for most Voima km?
450km so far.
But I went OTB on a deep rut and shattered my kneecap and out of competition lol.
This happened not on voima, on 100mm bike. If I were on Voima I wouldn’t have crashed in the first place, it would have plowed thru that rut.
Now I have out figure out how to discharge the battery without riding the bike. Storing it at 100% for at least 6 months is not nice.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
1080KM before my Voima got stolen.

Sorry about your injury. I'm convinced that the Voima saved my ass on a steep technical section by a cliff about 2 months ago. Had I not been on that bike, I'm pretty sure I would have gone over the edge. Stable, planted and controllable are the imperatives here.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

Sorry about your injury. I'm convinced that the Voima saved my ass on a steep technical section by a cliff about 2 months ago. Had I not been on that bike, I'm pretty sure I would have gone over the edge. Stable, planted and controllable are the imperatives here.
Nice!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
450km so far.
But I went OTB on a deep rut and shattered my kneecap and out of competition lol.
This happened not on voima, on 100mm bike. If I were on Voima I wouldn’t have crashed in the first place, it would have plowed thru that rut.
Now I have out figure out how to discharge the battery without riding the bike. Storing it at 100% for at least 6 months is not nice.
Bummer that sucks. PS, lend the bike to someone. I'm sure therel be dudes lining up to "flatten" the battery.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Something in my drivetrain is starting to skip on steep climbs… loud pops and cranks spin. I’m 99% sure it’s the hub losing engagement (dt swiss 350 hybrid… brand spanking new) but just double checking here to see if anyone can attribute those symptoms to a known motor issue before I start swapping hubs.

Between my weight (110kg) and my terrain (steep up and down) I seem to eat hubs even in the pedal bike.

Have eaten:

-DT 240 exp (bearing behind drive ring goes and and be replaced cause drive ring won’t come out)

-I9 Hydra (6 broken axles, although Pinner makes a steel version which is currently doing quite well)

-Onyx (clutch eats itself)

-DT 350 Hybrid (creaks and then starts skipping… reason TBD)

Hadley is next. Other candidates are a CK (if I can get a 6 bolt) or another Hydra with a steel axle from Pinner Machine Works in Whistler.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Something in my drivetrain is starting to skip on steep climbs… loud pops and cranks spin. I’m 99% sure it’s the hub losing engagement (dt swiss 350 hybrid… brand spanking new) but just double checking here to see if anyone can attribute those symptoms to a known motor issue before I start swapping hubs.

Between my weight (110kg) and my terrain (steep up and down) I seem to eat hubs even in the pedal bike.

Have eaten:

-DT 240 exp (bearing behind drive ring goes and and be replaced cause drive ring won’t come out)

-I9 Hydra (6 broken axles, although Pinner makes a steel version which is currently doing quite well)

Hadley is next. Other candidates are a CK (if I can get a 6 bolt) or another Hydra with a steel axle from Pinner Machine Works in Whistler.

Maybe give the new Hope Pro5 ebike rear hub a try.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia

Have eaten:

Was that a classic Onyx with steel driver or a Onyx Vesper? I broke a couple of Vespers but the classic has been good for years. Running a 6 bolt CK currently and that seems fine too.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

Have eaten:

Pull the hub down and have a look at the palls. yourl be able to tell if they are letting go. Also if theres too much factory grease in there that maybe part of the cause.

How many miles/km have you done?

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Pull the hub down and have a look at the palls. yourl be able to tell if they are letting go. Also if theres too much factory grease in there that maybe part of the cause.

How many miles/km have you done?
I like the grease theory. When it started creaking I pulled it apart and regreased (official DT Swiss special sauce) maybe I did too good a job.

382mi / 615km since first ride on 5/20 so about 2 months

Guessing about 95,000ft elevation so far (local lap is 4 miles and goes up 1,000ft).

1183E812-FAC8-42A7-9312-D3A6D52168CB.jpeg

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Was that a classic Onyx with steel driver or a Onyx Vesper? I broke a couple of Vespers but the classic has been good for years. Running a 6 bolt CK currently and that seems fine too.
Vesper (terrible uninformed decision). Did not like the rubbery engagement feeling though. CK looks like they make a 6 bolt again! Hmmmm….

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA

Stolen?!

I could not think of a worse bike to nab. It’ll stand out like a sore thumb on any trail or classified site.

BigG

Feb 15, 2023
US, SoCal
Hope hubs are pretty bombproof. Hadleys are good too, but I’d take hopes over hadleys tbh, especially ebike version without offset pawls. Less engagement but it doesn’t really matter on eBike.
I also make dt hubs skip even without motor, and even once simply rotated an unpinned cassette cog thru alu splines.
Hopes with steel freehub - never a single problem, cheap-ish, easy to service, parts are easy obtainable, good warranty. Been using multiple since Pro 2 times.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Hope hubs are pretty bombproof. Hadleys are good too, but I’d take hopes over hadleys tbh, especially ebike version without offset pawls. Less engagement but it doesn’t really matter on eBike.
I also make dt hubs skip even without motor, and even once simply rotated an unpinned cassette cog thru alu splines.
Hopes with steel freehub - never a single problem, cheap-ish, easy to service, parts are easy obtainable, good warranty. Been using multiple since Pro 2 times.
I knew I came to the right place. Hope it is.

Yeah everyone claims DTs are super reliable but I guess not everyone is >200lbs and grinding up steeps.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Hey @Rob Rides EMTB , how do you find your experience with the Voima.
I noticed you've got a Canyon Strive:On now as your personal bike. Do you prefer this or the Pole?
The reason I'm asking is becaue I can't decide between Haibike NDuro8 freeride, Pole Sonni or Canyon Torque:On, so I just wondered what your feelings were for Pole vs Canyon?

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Hey @Rob Rides EMTB , how do you find your experience with the Voima.
I noticed you've got a Canyon Strive:On now as your personal bike. Do you prefer this or the Pole?
The reason I'm asking is becaue I can't decide between Haibike NDuro8 freeride, Pole Sonni or Canyon Torque:On, so I just wondered what your feelings were for Pole vs Canyon?
Sorry to hijack but Canyon’s ebike naming protocol effectively prevents them from making a hardtail ebike.

I’ll show myself out.

Gandalf

Dec 16, 2020
Germany
Has anyone mounted a Sram Eagle GX Transmission on a Voima?
I watched the video of @Rob Rides EMTB and at 8:38 min it shows the SRAM APP Setup Key B. But with me it shows Key A?
What is wrong?

As soon as the price goes down a bit, I want to buy the Sram AXS Eagle GX in August, because I'm riding the Stonman Taurista in Austria in September :cool: :love:

regards Erwin

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I watched the video of @Rob Rides EMTB and at 8:38 min it shows the SRAM APP Setup Key B. But with me it shows Key A?
What is wrong?

As soon as the price goes down a bit, I want to buy the Sram AXS Eagle GX in August, because I'm riding the Stonman Taurista in Austria in September :cool: :love:

regards Erwin
I recall that the web based tool gave me the wrong one but the app based tool got it right and it matched what Rob did.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
What is wrong?

regards Erwin
I will be in the next week or two once my frame shows up.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
What is wrong?

regards Erwin
I fitted one and I'm having drama's with it not shifting off the set up cog without hitting the button twice for a double shift. It's perfect everywhere else but refuses to move off that 5th cog without a double tap in either direction.

I used set up key A on the 21T cog. Chain length 120 links.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
MUst be a slightly different linkage because I tried the standard set up with a 230x65 shock and the tyre hits the seatpost on full compression.

Why would using a 230x65 give the bike less travel? you should be using a shock with the same eye to eye size but less stroke.

I don't think it's a different linkage, I would assume Pole uses a shorter stroke shock. The original 190mm travel shock is a 250x75mm, so I would think they would use a 250x72.5 or 250x270mm stroke shock to achieve the short travel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles