Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Looks like an E-Onni is on the way…
4B805A2A-CB47-4D2D-9F52-EE1DF3648497.png

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
The Onni suspension, though also a four-bar is markedly different from Sensei and isn't setup in its current state for a CX motor, IMHO from what I saw when the bike was flipped for service. The rocker is right were the motor should be, and dropping the motor would compromise the 200mm+ rear travel. Perhaps the new small Bosch SX might work?

IMG_7593 2.jpg

Last edited:

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
V interesting

Tomorrow 23.07.2023 we’ll have a soft launch of our new Trail and Gravity platforms. Check out our newsletter for more information. Limited offers only for our customers

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
V interesting

Tomorrow 23.07.2023 we’ll have a soft launch of our new Trail and Gravity platforms. Check out our newsletter for more information. Limited offers only for our customers

WTF! I just got my new Race ID! Now I’m going to have to get a new new one! My wife is going to murder me! 😂😢 Seriously though, with all of the new motors with integrated gears coming out, I think I’ll wait for the new Bosch race motor with integrated transmission, automatic shifting and belt drive. When that comes out and it’s in the Onni or Voima, I’m in Fo Sho!

Last edited:

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
He say in the video that the bike he ride is just a prototype and the real one vill be a little different with a motorptotection

It is wierd that only people that have bought a bike before is gonna get the password to have a change to buy the bike.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
He say in the video that the bike he ride is just a prototype and the real one vill be a little different with a motorptotection

It is wierd that only people that have bought a bike before is gonna get the password to have a change to buy the bike.
Everyone will be able to buy it, it’s just that loyal existing Pole owners will get the first opportunity to buy and probably at a reduced cost, which is fair. I like it. 👍🏼

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
I stand corrected - I guess there is enough room to put a motor. And it looks like Leo is pulling a Elon - I had early access to the Model 3 in 2017 because I was already a Model S owner.

Some thoughts on the Onni - folks, this bike is really light and it's a mullet. These were the main things that caught me when I checked it out in the flesh, especially against Viklkela. My thought at the time was to outfit it with a smaller motor (something like the new SX) and with a built-in battery (also like the SX), if Leo fancied taking his downduro idea into the ebike arena at some point. He had mentioned that he didn't want to step quickly into a new ebike design as Voima is still gaining foothold in the enduro ebike market. Looks as if Leo couldn't help himself ;)

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
Pinkbike commenters will have a field day with that motor placement. A "ballsy" move to say the least.

Despite the product differences Leo layed out in the video, there's perhaps too much overlap in the bike's current pre-prod state and it may frustrate the existing customer base and may force Pole's hand to continuously differentiate the experiences of the bike models. I can easily see the downduro Onni configured as a trail bike more than the Voima configured as a downduro. That said, the continuous innovation is compelling:
  1. If he's right that the bike is a whole kilo lighter - which I'm inclined to believe since the main thing I noticed when checking out the acoustic Onni was how friggin light the thing was - then it's a game changer for Pole. Some of this may be due to improvements in the shell surround tech or leaner swingarms or lack of motor cage, but this will probably add up to marked weight savings.
  2. He called the rear suspension tech Sensei, which raised an eyebrow. Looking forward to more detailed explanation of why these two very different looking four-bar rear ends would share the same moniker.
  3. I knock myself for not having put a leg over the Onni when I had a chance at Sea Otter. Is it that much more progressive than the Voima? With an extra 10mm travel, can you afford to set it up differently? Less % sag, but with less spacers?
  4. The Onni will probably do in the Vikkela. The weight difference will feel more stark between the acoustic versions.
  5. I would like to see an SX motor/battery version for this with a light build. The motor have a lower ,"ahem, less suggestive", profile with a smaller battery. In this config, it could probably weight-compete with a Rise, EXE, or SL and there would be less product overlap with the Voima.
  6. Mullet option may make sense for the smaller sizes. A bake-off would be interesting.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Pinkbike commenters will have a field day with that motor placement. A "ballsy" move to say the least.

Despite the product differences Leo layed out in the video, there's perhaps too much overlap in the bike's current pre-prod state and it may frustrate the existing customer base and may force Pole's hand to continuously differentiate the experiences of the bike models. I can easily see the downduro Onni configured as a trail bike more than the Voima configured as a downduro. That said, the continuous innovation is compelling:
  1. If he's right that the bike is a whole kilo lighter - which I'm inclined to believe since the main thing I noticed when checking out the acoustic Onni was how friggin light the thing was - then it's a game changer for Pole. Some of this may be due to improvements in the shell surround tech or leaner swingarms or lack of motor cage, but this will probably add up to marked weight savings.
  2. He called the rear suspension tech Sensei, which raised an eyebrow. Looking forward to more detailed explanation of why these two very different looking four-bar rear ends would share the same moniker.
  3. I knock myself for not having put a leg over the Onni when I had a chance at Sea Otter. Is it that much more progressive than the Voima? With an extra 10mm travel, can you afford to set it up differently? Less % sag, but with less spacers?
  4. The Onni will probably do in the Vikkela. The weight difference will feel more stark between the acoustic versions.
  5. I would like to see an SX motor/battery version for this with a light build. The motor have a lower ,"ahem, less suggestive", profile with a smaller battery. In this config, it could probably weight-compete with a Rise, EXE, or SL and there would be less product overlap with the Voima.
  6. Mullet option may make sense for the smaller sizes. A bake-off would be interesting.
So this bike was public knowledge a couple of months ago at sea otter?

Fark!

I'll be honest I'm a bit pissed at Pole right now.

The questions I was asking Chris about the Voima would have directly steered me right into the s-onni.

All he needed to do was say. We are working on a mullet platform that will be released in a month or so and I would have held out to see if it was more suitable.

And guess what. The geo and mullet config and kinematics is more suitable to my needs. Plus its lighter.

I've effectively unknowingly made the closest version of a s-onni out of the Voima that I can.

All the marketing guff up until that video above was released was saying the Voima is dh capable cat 5 dh rated, progressive suspension...

Now it sounds like the Voima is going to be too linear for my needs. I am going to be hitting the big lines with the Voima.

With all that said. I dont like exposed motor. I'm bashing the slider on the Voima on every tech rooty mountain run I do.

Bad form Pole for not giving a customer the heads up one month in advance...

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland
Well, if can't come to terms with the fact that there will be something new, different – even possibly better – down the line, it's best to not buy anything. One would be 100% happy with the current option (whether it's a bike, a pair of sneakers, phone etc,) but the fear of missing out on something put's all in a downward spiral on a psychological level.

Having said that, it would have been nice if the staff would have passed some information to give a heads up, but assumingly there's a policy around these things and for a reason.

Hopefully, your are happy with the bike you end up getting, however.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
I recently purchased the Voima and am not too upset but this has left a sour taste in my mouth. For the brand, it makes no sense to have so much overlap with products.

Voima to Voima ID made sense, small iterative updates on a rolling basis should be used to Pole’s advantage as it caters to their manufacturing process.

Rolling out new models that perfectly overlap with their current Voima and Vikkela makes no sense.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I think i will forget my recent exitement about Pinion and start dreaming about Sonni Enduro.🫣
There’s something very, very tempting about that bike.

IMG_0878.jpeg

Durrti

Aug 22, 2021
California
I’ve been considering getting a new bike with slightly less travel, and lower than my Voima. Boom the enduro Onni is damn near the geo I’ve been looking for. However I don’t think that I can give Pole any more of my money, with the way my swing arm issue went down.
I’m honestly thinking Strive:eek:n, cheaper than the Onni by 2k in similar builds. Race motor and transmission. Or the Commencal race at $7300 with battery extender 🤷‍♂️

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Well, if can't come to terms with the fact that there will be something new, different – even possibly better – down the line, it's best to not buy anything. One would be 100% happy with the current option (whether it's a bike, a pair of sneakers, phone etc,) but the fear of missing out on something put's all in a downward spiral on a psychological level.

Having said that, it would have been nice if the staff would have passed some information to give a heads up, but assumingly there's a policy around these things and for a reason.

Hopefully, your are happy with the bike you end up getting, however.
I do get that. But we are talking weeks not months and the bike was on display at the see otter classic which was 20th of April. \

At that time I was asking Pole.
Do you have mullet option,
Can i configure the voima to mullet,
Can you map the Voima speed for mullet config in the factory
Can i put tripple clamps on it,
Can I spec just the race motor on the standard build?

That answer came back yes you can mullet a voima, no we wont configure in the factory, No we wont allow an upgrade to the race motor with purchasing the full race spec build.

I placed an order 10th of May after the bike as in the public domain. I had no knowledge of it until this week.

The reality is the Voima isn't quite right for me. I compromised on what I like in geo to get the Voima because there was nothing else on the market with that came close. The 80° head seat angle is too steep, the chain stays are too long, by mulleting the voima i've slackened it out more making less trail friendly. This new bike geo is better suited to me. 79° head angle, 448 chain stays, 63.5° in mullet config.... argh. That's the shit I wanted.

Don't get me wrong, Voima is a fantastic bike and I will enjoy the hell out of it. Like Murphuis I have a sour taste in my mouth that I didn't get a heads up when asking the direct question that would have steered me into the new design.

When I am about to release a new product for my company if customers are enquiring about a similar product I let them know that something is about to be released. You don't even need to tell them what it is. All that Chris could have said is that they are working on a mullet option watch this space in a month or so.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I do get that. But we are talking weeks not months and the bike was on display at the see otter classic which was 20th of April. \

That answer came back yes you can mullet a voima, no we wont configure in the factory, No we wont allow an upgrade to the race motor with purchasing the full race spec build.

I placed an order 10th of May after the bike as in the public domain. I had no knowledge of it until this week.

The reality is the Voima isn't quite right for me. I compromised on what I like in geo to get the Voima because there was nothing else on the market with that came close. The 80° head seat angle is too steep, the chain stays are too long, by mulleting the voima i've slackened it out more making less trail friendly. This new bike geo is better suited to me. 79° head angle, 448 chain stays, 63.5° in mullet config.... argh. That's the shit I wanted.

Don't get me wrong, Voima is a fantastic bike and I will enjoy the hell out of it. Like Murphuis I have a sour taste in my mouth that I didn't get a heads up when asking the direct question that would have steered me into the new design.

When I am about to release a new product for my company if customers are enquiring about a similar product I let them know that something is about to be released. You don't even need to tell them what it is. All that Chris could have said is that they are working on a mullet option watch this space in a month or so.

How long have you had your Voima for now?

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

I think you were sort of done dirty.

That said, ride your bike for 1 year and reassess cause here is the thing, this stuff is advancing so quickly you'll probably be able to get the Sonni with the Revonte by next year.

I'm loving what Pole has coming out these days (although I literally only know of 2 personally, and both failed spectacularly, one on the first ride while on a far away bike trip) but I don't have trails nor speeds that seem suited to such big bikes.

All e-bikes are going to lose a lot of value quickly because of these rapid advancements. No way around it.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
First ride one week ago.

Do you think that maybe you need to just get some more rides on the bike? It seems like you kind of made up your mind about how you feel about the Voima before you really even put some miles on it. I recall reading some of your posts on the bike before you even had one, kind of like you had your mind made up even before really riding the bike.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Do you think that maybe you need to just get some more rides on the bike? It seems like you kind of made up your mind about how you feel about the Voima before you really even put some miles on it. I recall reading some of your posts on the bike before you even had one, kind of like you had your mind made up even before really riding the bike.
To be clear. I am not dissappointed with the Voima at all. It is god damn fantastic. It is performing as expected.

My gripe is not with the bike at all. It's with the fact I missed out on the opportunity of a potentially more suitable set by a factor of weeks. When I could have been informed of the potential of mullet options in the near future.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles