Pic of the Day

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sat sulking..... constant ongoing chain suck and whilst trying to adjust during the ride I propped the bike up insecurely............
Chain suck can be a swine, especially if you have never come across it before. In my experience a badly worn chain ring or a new chain on a worn ring is the prime candidate. But as the following video shows, there are other more mundane causes.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just lacing the new rim in preparation for the next wheel size step up ..

Screenshot 2023-10-08 13.19.03.png

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Chain suck can be a swine, especially if you have never come across it before.

I have a Haibike..... chain suck from day one, it's part of the package isn't it lol.

I will figure it out again eventually, could well be a worn chain ring ( I will investigate up close tomorrow ) The current is not that old to be fair so not give it a thorough inspection.

All other aspects from that video can be eliminated but I have been experimenting with chain lubes and may have created more of a glue than a lube lol so will revert to trusty previous to test.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a Haibike..... chain suck from day one, it's part of the package isn't it lol.

I will figure it out again eventually, could well be a worn chain ring ( I will investigate up close tomorrow ) The current is not that old to be fair so not give it a thorough inspection.

All other aspects from that video can be eliminated but I have been experimenting with chain lubes and may have created more of a glue than a lube lol so will revert to trusty previous to test.
Probably want a seperate thread but how can you get that if you run a 1*drive train with a clutch - there just isn't enough chain slack and the tension on the derailleur surely is too much ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Probably want a seperate thread but how can you get that if you run a 1*drive train with a clutch - there just isn't enough chain slack and the tension on the derailleur surely is too much ?
I don't know !!

No clutch on my derailleur but your correct with tension.... not much slack on my drive.

Regular occurrence and happens non shifting and regardless of gear.

I will post a pic in my bloggy thread of the current chainring as I'm not sure if it's worn or not.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I don't know !!

No clutch on my derailleur but your correct with tension.... not much slack on my drive.

Regular occurrence and happens non shifting and regardless of gear.

I will post a pic in my bloggy thread of the current chainring as I'm not sure if it's worn or not.
First stop is swapyour derailieur for one with a clutch. There's plenty of "shadow" shimano mech's for €30-€35 on offer.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I’d have a bit mor

I’d have more than skid marks if I rode down that !
I hear you! It looks way more interesting from the rider's view at the 8:50 minute point in the video! The good thing is there is plenty of run out and MOST of the trees mind their own business! The start of the trail is pretty sketchy tho :oops:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I hear you! It looks way more interesting from the rider's view at the 8:50 minute point in the video! The good thing is there is plenty of run out and MOST of the trees mind their own business! The start of the trail is pretty sketchy tho :oops:

Sketchy start? I'd have to cross that log on my arse, with the bike on my back! :eek:

All I need to know now is that there are wall-to-wall mosquitos, bears, wolves, snakes and other random critters! Yikes

Just out of interest, what rating would that trail be? Any idea? :unsure:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Sketchy start? I'd have to cross that log on my arse, with the bike on my back! :eek:

All I need to know now is that there are wall-to-wall mosquitos, bears, wolves, snakes and other random critters! Yikes

Just out of interest, what rating would that trail be? Any idea? :unsure:
Haha... a few mosquitoes after it rains if you are near a pond. I have never seen a wolf this far south but coyotes are in the area (I hear them every night from my house!). I see lots of bears in Whistler and a few on the local mountains but they usually hear you coming and avoid you. Lots of snakes but none of them are poisonous where I ride.
That trail is rated as Black with Double Black features on it. There are WAY more difficult trails/features in the area, most of which are unsanctioned and I don't do as you can be miles from any rescue and cel phone support can be spotty!

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick

Fuck that for a game of soldiers…which is a quaint old English saying which, roughly translated for our overseas friends , means…I think I’ll give that a miss if it’s ok with you.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Fuck that for a game of soldiers…which is a quaint old English saying which, roughly translated for our overseas friends , means…I think I’ll give that a miss if it’s ok with you.
I would have said "Interesting".
From an English guy that always sets our French and German colleagues laughing like drains.
(Well, my French and German colleagues, maybe I moved in strange company).

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Sounds exciting ...

Don't even know what the bike was as they've deleted that - which seems weird to delete a picture of your bike on "pic of the day" - because you could only see the bike ? Guess we will never know.
C'mon Zimms..you're "The Man" ..surely you can pull a few strings behind the scenes at Emtb Forums Towers ..this can't be left unanswered ..😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles