Pic of the Day

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
thumbnail_IMG_2933.jpg

Last afternoons ride, another top day on the Sunny Coast for only a couple of weeks away from winter. Still manage to work up a sweat getting a KOM up Mt Beerburrum climb which is a grade 4, heaps easier on the Bosch motorized Focus over my old Shitmano powered Merida

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Surprised even tubeless would stand up to that. I wouldn't like to fall on that .

Oh, it sucks just as much as you might imagine. Even getting scraped by one as you ride a trail can cause damage. My G-form knee pad got a hella rip in the fabric from one of these things (not to mention the hella rip it left in me!). Fortunately, the partner had stretchy fabric that made for a perfect patch.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This is why we ride tubeless in the High Desert. And these Acacia thorns are small ones, at that. These things are a bitch when old and dry. View attachment 114232

View attachment 114233
I don't believe that we have anything as vicious looking as that in the UK. The closest I can think of is Pyracantha. It's a fast-growing shrub that does well against walls and I installed for anti-burglar duties. It is vicious stuff. I was warning my builder that you only had to point at it to get spiked. As I said it, I unconsciously pointed by means of illustration and the end of my finger got spiked! The plant forms a web of tightly interlocked branches and if you get snagged on it, it will be multiple snags and tricky to get free from without inflicting further damage. Birds love to nest in it (how?) and consequently, any spike injuries tend to go bad. :oops:
Pyracantha.jpg

That's a £1 coin in the picture. It's 15/16" or 23mm dia.

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
I don't believe that we have anything as vicious looking as that in the UK. The closest I can think of is Pyracantha. It's a fast-growing shrub that does well against walls and I installed for anti-burglar duties. It is vicious stuff. I was warning my builder that you only had to point at it to get spiked. As I said it, I unconsciously pointed by means of illustration and the end of my finger got spiked! The plant forms a web of tightly interlocked branches and if you get snagged on it, it will be multiple snags and tricky to get free from without inflicting further damage. Birds love to nest in it (how?) and consequently, any spike injuries tend to go bad. :oops:
View attachment 114355
That's a £1 coin in the picture. It's 15/16" or 23mm dia.

Birds are mind-boggling creatures. The snarls and spikes they manage to nest in? Crazy! And then to be able to FLY in and out? Tiny badass dinosaurs.

As for thorns, in the Midwest and Eastern states (and I’m sure Canada, too)
IMG_0688.jpg

, we have this tree called Black Locust. It puts out some seriously evil thorns. I pulled the one pictured out of my truck tire back when I lived in rural Missouri.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
This is why we ride tubeless in the High Desert. And these Acacia thorns are small ones, at that. These things are a bitch when old and dry. View attachment 114232

View attachment 114233
"Tubeless" those spikes look like they could go clear through your rim too :eek:. Probably a good place to wear a full face helmet and googles too. I'd hate to go down and catch one through an eyeball or worse one of "The Boys" (n)

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Phoenix Mountain Preserve. Downtown Phoenix and South Mountain in the background.

View attachment 114373 View attachment 114374
Must be great all that dry weather. Just out with the feather duster every now and then or get the wife if I'm too tired. Washed mine yesterday and had an early morning 12 miler today thinking its dry . Still had to wash it . I'm moving.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Pterodactyl ?
Where were you Jurassic Park..
Out of pocket iphone shot from the hip while cruising the beach @ 20mph. He was standing in the water and by the time I got my camera set he had taken off and was flying by me. He was a big boy for sure and his size is what originally caught my eye. Eagles by me are plentiful this time of year in general. As well as smaller shore birds.

Shore birds only.jpg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Very short ride over to Marple bridge today,

View attachment 114455

lots of indexing problems and creaking !! Decided to go back home to do some much needed maintenance along with fitting my new bars

View attachment 114456

not sure on the R logo placement as the grips cover over it lol.
My pivots were creaking a bit for afew rides .. Not any more so it must have been my joints put some silicone on just in case

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
My pivots were creaking a bit for afew rides .. Not any more so it must have been my joints put some silicone on just in case
Yeah my body makes just as much noise as a creaky bike too. I've Just regreased all major culprits and give it some extra cleaning maintenance in the nuts and crannies so will see next ride.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Saw Mr. Snek today.

Imagepipe_56.jpg

He did not want to get off the trail. I gave him a gentle touch to get him moving, and he started vibrating his tail to make fake rattler noises. Then he curled up and was mean mugging at me like he was going to bite me. Bro, I'm just trying to keep you from getting run over you beautiful bastard. Got a stick and got him to move.

Not my best jump form, but got a photo.
Imagepipe_55.jpg

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
Another gorgeous southern New Mexico day. It’s difficult to tell that, in the last pic, there’s a ridiculous drop down and then back up. These arroyos make desert riding particularly challenging. You never know if it’s going to be easy or full of deep sand at the bottom (not to mention how far across the bottom might be) or how lose the gravel up the other side is going to be or if you’re going to repeatedly eat it trying to navigate 2 dozen or so of these across a few miles. Makes for an interesting day!

5C60F3C9-2188-47A7-81FD-3FAA6E304E70.jpg

AF66FF42-6162-481B-8FA5-1B38884102E6.jpg

18328790-8878-4320-9940-A8F73C0CCC1C.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles