Thok TK01 Color Edition

PXL_20230326_135259624.jpg
PXL_20230326_133756953.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
A ride out of Kirk Yetholm yesterday with @Richywalker64 & Alan Walkea turned into more than a little bit of a disaster when the GPS mapping went totally tits up on both mine & Richys phone ( OS mapping ) ..might have had something to do with the atmospherics but at times we were wandering around like Gorillas in the mist ..
I got us off to the wrong start when shortly into the ride having taken the " upper level" choice on the Pennine Way we took a right turn upon reaching the border Ridge after skirting around Green Humbleton to head towards Whitelaw ..even though the finger post for the PW was pointing left ??..
Look at the map ..which way would you have turned ?
Screenshot_20230402_062015_Outdooractive.jpg

..we were now in my mind heading the wrong way only the little blue GPS dot was taking us where we wanted to go on the map which was along Steer Rig towards Black Hag then on a drop down on a little used track initially towards Auchope which turned into a very slippery / muddy slop fest courtesy of the farmers tractor the closer you got to the bottom ..onwards towards Sourhope where the climb out was even muddier and traction a real problem ..heading towards the junction of tracks under Blackdean Curr..
Screenshot_20230402_062823_Outdooractive.jpg
Right turn at the junction to follow the track all the way back to the Lower Pennine Way option then back to the start ..but no..this is where our GPS took a real wobbler and we ended up at the trig point on top of The Curr..where we decided to follow the fence line down to the valley below ..Alan & myself deemed this to be unrideable after each having an "off " and chose to walk the bikes down ..Richy showing a Zen-like quality seemed to glide over every divot and rode the lot ..
Upon reaching the Curr Burn in the valley the choice we faced was to turn right and face another very major climb to get back onto The Pennine Way ..or having been already soaked to the skin with every piece of clothing wet through( nothing is really waterproof ) turn left and follow the trail down the valley to Primsidehill and a short road section back to the start ..
The "left" option won !
Screenshot_20230402_064905_Outdooractive.jpg

In terms of distance ..not a huge ride but the conditions & contours made it a tough outing ..and rarely have I been colder at the end of a ride ..
Many thanks to Alan & Richy who both had to travel a fair distance just to get there ..and sorry it didn't work out exactly as planned ...
@The EMF ..if there was one enforced ride to miss ( even though you were gutted to do so )...this was it 😁
Although what on a sunny day has quite magnificent views ..these pics will have to do for yesterday ..
20230401_110532.jpg
20230401_135546.jpg
20230401_135603.jpg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
A ride out of Kirk Yetholm yesterday with @Richywalker64 & Alan Walkea turned into more than a little bit of a disaster when the GPS mapping went totally tits up on both mine & Richys phone ( OS mapping ) ..might have had something to do with the atmospherics but at times we were wandering around like Gorillas in the mist ..
I got us off to the wrong start when shortly into the ride having taken the " upper level" choice on the Pennine Way we took a right turn upon reaching the border Ridge after skirting around Green Humbleton to head towards Whitelaw ..even though the finger post for the PW was pointing left ??..
Look at the map ..which way would you have turned ?
View attachment 110679
..we were now in my mind heading the wrong way only the little blue GPS dot was taking us where we wanted to go on the map which was along Steer Rig towards Black Hag then on a drop down on a little used track initially towards Auchope which turned into a very slippery / muddy slop fest courtesy of the farmers tractor the closer you got to the bottom ..onwards towards Sourhope where the climb out was even muddier and traction a real problem ..heading towards the junction of tracks under Blackdean Curr..
View attachment 110680 Right turn at the junction to follow the track all the way back to the Lower Pennine Way option then back to the start ..but no..this is where our GPS took a real wobbler and we ended up at the trig point on top of The Curr..where we decided to follow the fence line down to the valley below ..Alan & myself deemed this to be unrideable after each having an "off " and chose to walk the bikes down ..Richy showing a Zen-like quality seemed to glide over every divot and rode the lot ..
Upon reaching the Curr Burn in the valley the choice we faced was to turn right and face another very major climb to get back onto The Pennine Way ..or having been already soaked to the skin with every piece of clothing wet through( nothing is really waterproof ) turn left and follow the trail down the valley to Primsidehill and a short road section back to the start ..
The "left" option won !
View attachment 110681
In terms of distance ..not a huge ride but the conditions & contours made it a tough outing ..and rarely have I been colder at the end of a ride ..
Many thanks to Alan & Richy who both had to travel a fair distance just to get there ..and sorry it didn't work out exactly as planned ...
@The EMF ..if there was one enforced ride to miss ( even though you were gutted to do so )...this was it 😁
Although what on a sunny day has quite magnificent views ..these pics will have to do for yesterday ..
View attachment 110684 View attachment 110685 View attachment 110686
…you had me at “Gorillas in the Mist”.🦍

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I needed to change something on my new bike so decided to stick it next to my old cyclocross bike to see the size difference..
IMG_20230403_213002.jpg

I should probably have put the cylocross one at the back though, I reckon it would be almost hidden
The EMTB is over twice as heavy though .. 27kg VS 12kg.

BTW the cyclocross bike is from 2014, it came with Jagwire cables and they never stretched over all the time I had it, never had to reindex the gears even once and never altered the cable length on the brakes.

Shows how good Jagwire really is.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I needed to change something on my new bike so decided to stick it next to my old cyclocross bike to see the size difference..
View attachment 110814
I should probably have put the cylocross one at the back though, I reckon it would be almost hidden
The EMTB is over twice as heavy though .. 27kg VS 12kg.

BTW the cyclocross bike is from 2014, it came with Jagwire cables and they never stretched over all the time I had it, never had to reindex the gears even once and never altered the cable length on the brakes.

Shows how good Jagwire really is.
Nice bike I need to put new wheels on my Dawes Super Galaxy so I've decided to convert to a gravel bike . Will start with wheels and I bit wider tyre to see how that works. I'm getting a bit fed up of the amount of maintenance and the cost of the ebike .

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
Yeah maintenance of the ebike is something I've been thinking about and I've kinda decided in a couple years in just gonna sell it and buy myself an analogue trail bike or a nice steel hardtail

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yeah maintenance of the ebike is something I've been thinking about and I've kinda decided in a couple years in just gonna sell it and buy myself an analogue trail bike or a nice steel hardtail
I'm thinking 3rd motor in way out . If it does i will have a serious think about what to do.. I have a steel custom made hard tail takes panniers so that's the hill bothy bike 25 years old. Dawes 2011 model has not been used much so put off road tyres and new wheels on and take it from there. Too much toys is my problem.

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
I'm thinking 3rd motor in way out . If it does i will have a serious think about what to do.. I have a steel custom made hard tail takes panniers so that's the hill bothy bike 25 years old. Dawes 2011 model has not been used much so put off road tyres and new wheels on and take it from there. Too much toys is my problem.
Yeah whilst I love full sus and ebikes, the abuse-ability and low maintenance of hardtails is just unmatched. Which is partially why I want to get steel, I also just really like the look of it and really enjoy building my own bike

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Yeah whilst I love full sus and ebikes, the abuse-ability and low maintenance of hardtails is just unmatched. Which is partially why I want to get steel, I also just really like the look of it and really enjoy building my own bike
My ebike and the Dawes are the only off the peg bikes I've had for many years. My mate was dealer so just got frames and built up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles